Between Angels And Demons

Chapter 13

As soon as Bonnie had woken up, they had packed up everything and everyone had headed off to Bobby's house in South Dakota. Bonnie had refused to let anyone drive her car - but given her broken leg, had finally consented to Dean driving her car while Sam drove the Impala. Bonnie was sat in her passenger seat, broken leg stretched out in front of her to keep it straight as she and Dean sang along to AC/DC all the way to South Dakota. Bobby drove in his car while Castiel and Lexi went in the Impala with Sam. Castiel sat in the passenger seat while Lexi curled up in the back answering any of the questions that Sam and Castiel were throwing at her.

A week later and Bonnie and Lexi had finally gone and visited a nearby doctor that Bobby had recommended, one that had dealt with Hunters before and wasn't likely to ask any questions about their injuries.

"So...keys..." Bonnie said as she limped out of the doctor's house on crutches.

"Yup." Lexi agreed as she walked next to her sister, giggling when Bonnie nearly fell and dodging a swinging crutch as her sister retaliated.

"Don't be mean - how am I supposed to help with these things?" Bonnie pouted, gesturing towards the crutches. "They're evil."

"They're not evil. They're to make sure you don't do anymore damage, silly. Besides - your not the only one with a cast." Lexi said to her sister, waving her left wrist. "I mean - really - a white cast. He didn't have, like, any colour."

Bonnie laughed at her sister before coughing and stopping. "Stop making me laugh. It hurts."

"Of course it hurts. You broke a rib with that swan dive out a window."

"Lex." Bonnie pouted. "I didn't do it on purpose."

"Stop whining and get in the car. Sam looks like he's getting impatient."

"Why couldn't Dean have taken us?"

"Because." Lexi replied, "Now get in."

"Lex!" Bonnie yelled from the living room of what looked like their old home in England. Nobody answered her. "Lex!"

"Lex!" Bonnie screamed, thrashing around under the blanket she was covered with. She'd fallen asleep on the sofa after dinner and everyone had left her to it. Bobby and Dean were outside working on a car while Sam was researching and Lexi did the washing up. She was doing it one handed and was helping Sam research while she did it.

Lexi had just finished doing the washing up and was walking towards the study to sit down and help Sam more when Bonnie had started screaming. She rushed to her sisters side and motioned Sam to help pin her down so that she didn't hurt herself more.

Sam pinned her legs and kept one of her arms down while Lexi grabbed her sisters other arm and held her down with an arm across her chest.

"Shouldn't we wake her up?" Sam asked over Bonnie's screaming.

Lexi shook her head, "Won't work! We just have to wait it out!" She yelled back as Dean and Bobby burst into the room.

"What the devil's going on in here?!" Bobby yelled.

"It's a nightmare! One of the worst! We've gotta wait it out!" Lexi explained. "Bobby can you help Sam? Dean a little help here!" Lexi cried out as Bonnie's thrashing slammed her broken wrist against the back of the sofa.

Bobby rushed over and helped Sam hold Bonnie's legs while Dean moved Lexi out of the way and grabbed both of Bonnie's hands and tried to hold her still. Lexi cradled her broken wrist against her chest and moved to kneel on the floor by Bonnie's head. She reached out her uninjured hand and stroked her sister's blonde hair off her face before starting to quietly sing an old nursery song to her.

Bonnie's thrashing and screaming died down slowly and by the time Lexi had finished singing, she was calm and sleeping easily again.

Everyone waited a second before taking a step back and moving towards the study to talk. Dean helped Lexi up off the floor and supported her as they walked into the next room and onto a seat.

"It's from when we were kids." Lexi explained as they all sat there in silence. "They haven't happened in a while. I'm guessing that recent events brought it to the surface."

"You can't just wake her up from one of these nightmares?" Bobby asked.

"No. When we lived with our uncle the nightmares were common enough that we tried everything and nothing could ever wake her. She's only had a few in the last couple of years and I was kinda hoping they were in the past."

"Jesus." Bobby swore, looking into the living room and watching as Bonnie slept peacefully - unaware of what had just happened.

"What was that song you were singing?" Sam asked. "The one that calmed her down."

Lexi smiled sadly and stood up to look over into the other room and check on her sister. "It's an old family song that our mom used to sing when we were kids. Used to make me feel safe whenever she sang it to me at night before bed." Lexi shook her head and turned so that they wouldn't see her unshed tears. "I'm gonna go take a walk."

"Sure." Bobby said, noticing what she was trying to hide. "We'll keep an eye on your sister."

Lexi nodded without turning around and walked out the back door. When she felt she was far enough away, she sat down and rested her chin on her knees while keeping the arm with the cast on against her chest with her right arm wrapped around her knees. She sat there crying silently for a while before noticing someone standing off to the side. "Hey Cas."

Castiel said nothing but moved closer and stood guard while she cried.

"Hey." Bonnie said as she woke up and noticed Dean sat watching TV in the chair next to the sofa.

"Hey." Dean replied, switching off the television and turning to face her. "How'd you feel?"

"Okay, I guess. Why?"

"You had one hell of a nightmare. Don't you remember any of it?"

"I did? Shit. Where's Lex?" Bonnie tried to sit up but hissed as she put pressure on her broken rib.

"Hey - take it easy." Dean said, moving over and helping her sit up properly. "She's outside. Last I saw Cas was with her."

Bonnie nodded and pulled Dean down to sit next to her.

"Wanna talk about it?" Dean asked wrapping an arm around her and pulling her closer,

Bonnie shook her head and leaned against his side.

There was a moment of silence before Bonnie broke it.

"So...what are we watching?"