‹ Prequel: Pictures on the Wall

Romance Is Dead

Two.

After almost twenty minutes standing outside the theatre, we had finally decided upon seeing a restoration of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. All through the movie we both sang alone to every song; recited all the lines that we knew. I had almost forgotten how nice it was to have a girls night from having my head so far up Jordan’s ass for so long. “Thanks for this, dude,” I said as I threw a piece of popcorn at Alyssa, “I forgot what it felt like to have friends.”

On the way home, it was pretty silent and we decided to stop at the newest ‘hipster’ store, Human Harmony. It was funny how many people had become sucked into the trend of being a ‘hipster’. A bonus for me though was the fact that I no longer had to search all over the place for records or film for my Polaroid. It was nice to have so many places that would be able to handle my needs springing up all around the place – especially places that were open when other stores weren’t.

We walked around the store for awhile, looking at all the new stock and not really talking. It wasn’t really an awkward not talking either as there were plenty of side comments about different things being sold. “I’m still living at my mom’s place,” I said to Alyssa, “I think I need to find my own apartment or something.”

“I’m thinking the same thing. I just can’t take all the noise from the little kids, plus the new baby. I’m thinking that I want to find a nice ocean front place, but those are so expensive.” She was right, though; the ocean side apartments had to be the priciest ones of all.

I nodded my head, picking up a few records, “That’s true. I just want to find a nice place though, honestly. I’m thinking maybe I should just go to college. My mother said she’d have everything covered for me if I did.”

Through the whole time we stayed in the store, I ended up buying a Beatles record, a Ramones record, some new film for my Polaroid, a set of twenty paints, and three canvases. Alyssa decided that she was going to buy some of the ‘hipster’ sweaters, using the excuse that it had been getting cold lately. “You don’t fool me, girl!” I said, stabbing her with a foam sword I had picked up in a corner. We started laughing and went to purchase our things before we got kicked out.

Back at her house, it was like any other girls night. We decided to do each other’s hair, which was fun. The night ended with me having my septum pierced as well as bright blue dye in my hair. It was really different, but I’d get used to it quick. By the time we had finally gone to sleep, it was already almost four in the morning. Now any other day that might not have been a big deal; but when you have to wake up about two hours later to get ready to leave again, it’s really tiring.

So after our long, basically naps, we both got up to take showers, do our hair and make-up, and pick outfits for that day. Alyssa was wearing a Ramones shirt with black skinny jeans and her hair natural with simple eyeliner. I, on the other hand, was wearing a Drop Dead varsity jacket with a Drop Dead “Fuck The Future” shirt; my black pants and Doc Martins were an obvious must.

We grabbed some bagels before getting in the car and heading towards the recording studio. She was supposed to be in charge of any random people that might be showing up. There obviously wouldn’t be a very large crowd, but anyone interrupting recording time was setting them back time – time costs money.

I’d be getting to see the guys again, which might be nice. Alyssa told me that we would all probably head out to lunch after they finished laying down the audio for a couple tracks. I know I had promised myself not to go after any guys, but these ones just seemed so perfect. Maybe one of them was single and wanted a girlfriend…

“In just a few short days my world has turned upside down,
This boring life that I had known was finally turning ‘round.
And I had a heard a call that I had met the one that I was meant for,
That I might have a place there after all.
And now it’s gone, like that, and I have been erased.
Another man has come to take my place.”

Out of no where, a song from Corpse Bride had come on. I started laughing, “I didn’t know you knew this song!”

Alyssa looked at me, a bored expression on her face, “Seriously?” She started to laugh, “I love Corpse Bride.”

“Yeah, but this song wasn’t even in the movie!”

“I know, that’s why I actually have in on my iPod. Most of the songs I have randomly that are from movies are the ones that were cut.”

I nodded my head, “That’s pretty cool. You must have quite the collection.”

“Yeah,” Alyssa was suddenly interested, which I liked. Not everyone liked to talk about music with me. Then again, she did work merch stands at shows. “If you want, you can go through my iTunes and get some stuff off there when we get back to the house.”

When we pulled up to the studio, Alyssa opened the trunk and pulled out three vests that said ‘SECURITY’ on the back in big, white letters. She handed one to me, “Thanks for coming along to help,” and began laughing at the face I had made. So much for finding which of the guys were single.

Once we were inside, we met up with two other girls. I just waved, “I’m Delilah,” I said, not sure of who they were and deciding to be quiet.

Alyssa handed the other ‘SECURITY’ vest to a girl with long, curly, brown hair. “You’ll just be in the room taking pictures with Cristi, but if anyone comes into the room it’s up to you to make sure they leave. There were some posts on Facebook about a few groups of people that wanted to show up and get autographs and pictures, but that’s not what the guys are here to do today.”

I looked at the other girl who was standing with us. Her hair was short and black; she was very pale. “I’m Cristi,” she smiled at me as she extended her hand, “It’s nice to meet you, Delilah. This is my friend Caroline,” she pointed at the girl who had just been given the ‘SECURITY’ vest. She smiled at me too.

Cristi and Caroline both walked towards the left end of the hallway, which is where I assumed the guys were. Seeing as they already had a photographer, I was definitely not going to be able to come to the shows and expect to be hired anymore. I turned to Alyssa, “So basically we just make sure no one walks into the recording booth then?” She nodded, and we headed back out to the front.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image