You're My Hardest Project

Days

I stepped into the Heffley house for what feels like the millionth time; I’ve been coming here whenever I got the chance. I have thus far only been to one rehearsal for his band, but that’s due to choice. The band just isn’t very good. I mean, they all really do get into their music, but together it just doesn’t sound so great. Photographing them is fun but it was hard for me to sit and listen to them play. And now here I was once more; why exactly, I’m not sure (seeing that in the past couple of weeks I’ve been here a lot), but here I was.
Rodrick looked around the house for a moment before turning back to me.
“Hey, start heading up to my room, I’ll be there in a minute.” He said and walked through one of the entranceways. I began up the stairs and when I made it to the top saw Greg and Rowley coming out of Greg’s bedroom.
“Yo, Greg!” I said with a head nod and an awkward wave. The two younger boys looked at me confused as I let out a laugh. I continued my way up to Rodrick’s room and sat down on his bed, waiting for him.
After a minute I could hear a lot of yelling and couldn’t help but roll my eyes; I discovered that Rodrick and his brother fight… a lot… I picked up my camera, notepad, and started walking down the stairs but came to a stop and listened. I heard two sets of footsteps; one quickly fading while the other pounded down the hall and a moment or two later Rodrick was at the stairs with wide eyes.
“I think I need you to hide…” He mumbled and came up the stairs. I raised my eyebrow at him.
“Why do I-“
“Rodrick Heffley! If you have a girl in your room you are in trouble!” I heard a woman’s voice yell; I had yet to meet either of Rodrick’s parents and I’m guessing he hasn’t told them about me either.
“That’s why…” he mumbled and pushed me back up the stairs. Moments later footsteps came up the stairs as neither Rodrick nor I moved, “Damn, I forgot she came home early on Fridays…” There was then a woman standing at the top of the stairs with her arms crossed and looking at Rodrick with a stern look.
“Rodrick…” she walked forward.
“Hi… mom…?” He said with hesitation. His mum looked over at me then back at her son.
“Greg just told me that you have snuck this girl to your room for a few days now; is it true?” Rodrick opened his mouth but said nothing.
“He hasn’t snuck me up here…” I said slowly as the two of them turned their attention to me.
“She just always went home before you got home.” Rodrick said. His mother still didn’t look too happy.
“Okay… I’m not like Rodrick’s… girlfriend or anything; I’m here working on a project for school.” I walked in front of Rodrick so I was closer to his mum, “So, uh… hi, I’m Andi.” I said and gave her a smile. After a few moments of hesitation she gave me a smile.
“Well then, I’m Susan Heffley.” She gave me a smile and took my hand, giving it a quick shake, “Can I ask what the project is and if Rodrick is doing his part?”
“Well, it’s just my project, but I’m supposed to make a presentation about Rodrick, so I’m just learning about him and his life.” I said with a smile.
“There’s not much to learn…” she said, which caused me to laugh, as she made her way to the staircase, “Are you planning to stay for dinner?”
“No!” Rodrick said as he stepped forward. I looked at him then turned to his mum and smiled.
“Why not?” She returned the smile as she began down the stairs.
“Good, it’ll be nice to get to know you.” She walked down the stairs and Rodrick looked at me.
“You really don’t have to stay.” He said as a bit of a demand.
“I think I will; after all, I do need to learn about your life.” Rodrick groaned lightly.
“Whatever…” he muttered as he went back to take a seat on his bed.
*****************************
“So, what class is this project for again?” Rodrick’s father asked as we sat at the table. I looked up from my plate and swallowed the food in my mouth.
“It’s for my multimedia class.” I replied. Thus far, things have gone really well with Rodrick and his family; I like his parents.
“And you’re a… sophomore, you said?” I nodded and took another bit of food; Rodrick’s dad was a bit awkward and a small talk kind of person, so many of the things he’s asked me have been these short, easy questions. The dinner table went quiet before Greg began talking excitedly about something that I ignored.
I looked at Rodrick who was practically stuffing his face with food and rolled my eyes. I gave him a quick kick in the shin, causing his leg to jerk up and hit the table roughly. Everyone looked at him confused as I stifled a laugh and he glared at me. After a moment everyone else went back to conversing as Rodrick looked at me.
“What?” He asked with slight annoyance in his tone.
“Do we have to sit at the table the entire meal?” I asked impatiently. Rodrick gave me a nod.
“We always do.” I groaned slightly.
“But… why…?” I asked as I took another bit of food.
“That’s how it always is. Your family never eats at the table?” I shook my head quickly.
“Only on holidays; this is just weird for me.” I replied. Rodrick let out a sigh then was silent for a few moments.
“Hey mom, dad, Andi and I need to go work on the project so can we go now?” I smiled slightly at the question and waited patiently.
“Well, I trust Andi enough to know that you’ll actually be working on the project…” His mother began, “So, just take care of your plates.” A smile spread across my face as I stood and picked up my cup.
“Thank you Mrs. Heffley.” I also picked up my plates and Rodrick and I put them in the sink. We both quickly began making our way up to Rodrick’s room.
“You do realize that we’ll have almost nothing to do, since you already know enough shit about my life.” He said as we reached the top of the first flight of stairs.
“We’ll figure out something.” I said and gave a big, toothy smile as we began up the second staircase, “Hell, maybe we’ll just screw around and do something that doesn’t even relate to the project.”
“…like what…?” Rodrick raised an eyebrow and I thought. What could we do? I slapped my hand to my forehead as Rodrick fell back on his bed.
“You’re really a very boring person, you realize that?” I said to him and he nodded with a smirk on his face as he put his hands behind his head. I rolled my eyes while I smiled slightly, “Rodrick, we’ve been hanging out for two weeks and thus far I feel like I still haven’t gotten to know you very well.”
“So?” He replied with a shrug; his eyes were now closed and he looked like he was just trying to relax. I let out a sigh.
“Could you at least try to open up a little?” I asked. He lied there silently and I could see him thinking about that last question. I walked toward the bed and hit his legs, indicating for him to move them, but he didn’t even budge. I rolled my eyes (like I seem to do A LOT around him) before sitting on his knees which caused him to jump slightly at the unexpected contact.
“What are you doing?” He asked with opened eyes as he lifted his head to look at me. I gave him an innocent smile.
“I’m sitting.” I replied sweetly. Rodrick shook his head while smirking.
“Okay… this is just me thinking out loud, but I’m not learning anything about you; I know that you’re doing a project about me and all, but I know nothing about you.” I bit my lip; Rodrick made a good point.
“So, are you saying that you want me to tell you just as much as you tell me?” He gave me a nod, “Well, I’m guessing that makes you more comfortable.” I looked up thinking, “First thing you should know then… I’m an only child and my parents are hardly ever home, so I usually try to find a reason to not be home by myself.”
“Might explain why you’re here even when things get boring?” Rodrick asked and I nodded in response, “Well, that’s a start.” He sat up and looked down at his knees, which I was still sitting on.
“Want me to move?” I asked, guessing that’s what he wanted.
“Naw, you’re fine.” He replied simply, “What else do you want to know about me?” I moved slightly so I wasn’t having his boney knees jabbing into my butt.
“What your personality is like; you put off a different behaviour at school, with your family, and with certain people. I want to know who the real Rodrick is.”
“All of those are the real Rodrick.” He said almost directly after I finished my sentence, “It’s just the different sides of Rodrick I’m comfortable with.” I smiled slightly.
“So you aren’t just the lazy ass delinquent.” I said, more to myself, but he obviously heard.
“I guess so.” He replied, “And what about you; I don’t really see a change in personality much in different places… Except when around adults; that’s when you act with more respect.”
“Not all adults; when with my multimedia teacher I treat him like I treat other students. I’ve just learnt to be comfortable being me around everyone… for the most part…” Rodrick leaned forward slightly.
“’For the most part’. What does that mean?” I sighed and looked away from him.
“Like everyone else there are some parts to my personality that no one, or most people, see.” Rodrick nodded before he began lying back against his pillows once more and we continued talking.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this story has the most love out of all the ones I have... o.o