You're My Hardest Project

More?

I laughed loudly as I hit my knee once; Rodrick did a similar action which got me laughing more as I put my hands on the wheel.
“How in God’s name did you get your license?” I asked between laughs. Rodrick shrugged slightly as he began to calm his laughter.
“I worked hard.” He said in a bit of a tough voice. I soon slowed my laughs.
“Yeah, that’s probably one of two things you’ve ever put any effort in.” I mocked as Rodrick’s hands brushed mine while he grabbed the wheel again. I pulled my hands into my lap.
“No, it’s one of three.” He said and I raised an eyebrow.
“What have you put effort in?” I asked with another light laugh, “Oh, and turn here!” Rodrick made a dangerous right turn which put me into another giggle fit.
“My car, my drumming, and sleeping.” He said. I rolled my eyes.
“Psh, ‘drumming.’” I said with air quotes and Rodrick hit my shoulder once.
“Hey, you know I’m good!” He said and gave me a smile. As fast as lightning I pulled out my camera and snapped a picture before he had the chance to change his expression. At this, Rodrick raised an eyebrow.
“That’s one of the few times I caught you with such a nice smile on your face.” I said, defending my actions, “Make another right.” Once more, Rodrick made a dangerous turn, “Okay, it’s just about another block.” After a few moments we came to a new street, “And I live in the ugly gray house.” Rodrick looked at each house before stopping in front of mine, “You wanna come in or are you busy?”
“Naw, I got some band rehearsal stuff to take care of.” He replied, “We got signed up in a talent competition.” He looked very excited and very pleased with himself as he said this.
“Alright, well, have fun with rehearsals.” I said and reached over to give him a hug; why did I do that, exactly? I like to hug friends; yes, I suddenly considered Rodrick a friend, this even surprises me. Rodrick froze up for a moment before he awkwardly hugged me back. I pulled back with a smile, “You need to work on that hugging thing.” I said and climbed out of the car. Rodrick rolled his eyes.
“My hugs are perfect.” He replied in an over exaggerated and sarcastic way. I laughed and slammed the door shut.
“Whatever you say.” I replied and waved, “Bye.” Rodrick gave me a small wave before he quickly drove away. I turned around and walked into the house with a smile.
“Andi,” I froze at the front door for a moment; my mum was home. She was never home. She walked to the front of the house with a smile on her face.
“Mum, what are you doing home?” I asked confused. She waved her hand, as if dismissing the question.
“I got off early.” She replied and looked out the window, “Wow, he sure disappeared fast.” I raised an eyebrow.
“Who?” I asked as I put my bag down against the coat rack.
“That boy who gave you a ride home.” My eyes widened once more as she gave me a smile, “So, who is he?”
“No one, mum.” I said and walked quickly into the kitchen. I heard her follow behind me as I opened a cabinet.
“I don’t think he was just no one.” She replied, “So, you’re not gonna tell me about your new boyfriend?”
“He’s not my boyfriend!” I replied quickly. She laughed lightly at me.
“You’re too defensive, lighten up a little.” She said and patted my shoulder, “And I can only guess he’s more than a ‘no one.’” I sat in a stool at the island.
“What makes you think he wasn’t just a guy giving me a ride home?” I asked smartly. My mum pointed at my shirt and I immediately made an over dramatic sound, “How can everyone tell this is his shirt!? Don’t they think it could be mine?”
“Honey, I know your wardrobe and the only men’s shirts you own are those ugly ones I refused to let your father wear and gave to you to use as pajamas or something.” She said, “And if that was your father’s, one: it would be bigger, two: I’d make him keep it.” I sighed and rested my head on the counter for a moment.
Even my own parents think we’re dating! Dammit!
I looked up at my mum to see her turning in the kitchen and opening the fridge. I let out a slight sigh as I stood up and began walking to my room. I pulled out my phone and dialed Rodrick’s number quickly.
“Sup?” he asked and I rolled my eyes at his greeting.
“Even my mum thinks we’re dating.” I said simply and it was silent at his end for a few moments.
“I thought you said your parents were never home.” Did my last statement completely go over his head?
“She came home early, but did you even hear me?” Again, silence.
“Ooh… well, damn…” He said after realizing what I said.
“You’re really slow sometimes, you know?” I laughed lightly.
“Shut up.” Rodrick responded, “But now we have to deal with one more person getting it all wrong.”
“I’m just gonna try to forget about it, just let them think what they want.” I jumped on my bed and lied on my back.
“You do that, I think I’ll use my own methods to get people to shut up.” Rodrick then began yelling to someone he was with for a few moments before he let out a sigh, “Hey, I gotta go, I have limited phone time?” I raised an eyebrow.
“Why is that?” I asked.
“Greg and I got in a fight at church over the weekend and my mom only lets me have my phone at school.” I laughed lightly.
“I’m guessing you don’t go to church by choice.” I said.
“Nope, I have no say in whether or not I go.” He replied, “So, now I have to get off the phone.”
“Okay, talk to you later than.” I said before he hung up.
********************************
I walked through the hall casually; another fun day at school (note the great sarcasm). Last night I began to finally figure out what I would do for my multimedia project so I was confident I’d finish it quickly.
As I turned the corner, I saw Rodrick talking to one of his “delinquent” band mates. A smile spread across my face as I began walking toward him and stopped by his side.
“Hi.” The two guys stopped talking to look at me.
“Hey.” Rodrick replied simply then looked back at his band mate, “So, we need to do rehearsal somewhere else.”
“My house?” His friend replied then Rodrick nodded.
“See ya then.” Rodrick turned back to me as his band mate walked away. We began walking down the hall.
“Still in trouble?” I asked. Rodrick nodded.
“Greg and I might be in trouble like this for a week or so.” He replied.
“Well that’s fun.” I said sarcastically.
“Whatever…” we walked silently for a few moments.
“So… I just need to tell you that I probably won’t need anything else for the project…” I started and looked up at his face.
“You won’t be coming over much then?” He asked.
“Not for school… but I wanna stay friends.” I replied a bit awkwardly. Did he even consider us friends? Rodrick was silent.
“Yeah, of course.” He finally responded.
“Are you just saying that or do you actually want to be friends?” I asked with a slight smile. Rodrick gave me a grin and threw his arm over my shoulders.
“I actually mean it.” He replied, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have places to go, people to see, classes to sleep in.” I laughed lightly as he took back his arm and began walking away.
“See ya.” I began walking to my locker.
“Annnnnndi!” Luna sang as she walked alongside me, “Hello, darling.” I gave her a smile.
“Hi, Luna.” I replied as we stopped at my locker.
“So, how are things with Rodrick?” I got two notebooks out of my locker before closing it.
“Things are fine; I just finished the first half of my project, so I don’t have to follow him around like I’m paparazzi anymore.” Luna nodded.
“So, does that mean no more Rodrick?” I gave her a confused look.
“No, Rodrick’s kinda like a friend now.” I replied as we began walking to class.
“Friend? He’s a friend?” She asked a little shocked.
“Yeah, why is that so hard to believe?” I replied and came to a halt as we stood outside Luna’s class.
“Well, you’re not much of a people person…” She started and I nodded, “And he doesn’t like a lot of people from what you told me.”
“Doesn’t that make us similar? Last I checked similarities are a good thing in a friendship.” I replied. Luna then went quiet.
“I guess… but, just out of curiosity, do you like him?” I gave her a shocked look.
“You mean like…?” I trailed off but Luna understood what I meant and nodded, “…honestly… no, I never thought about it.” Well, when people thought we were dating I thought about it…
“Alright, just wondering…” Luna gave a smile and turned into the classroom. I began walking down the hall and thought about the conversation Luna and I just had. I honestly can say I’ve never really considered any feelings for Rodrick; I’ve only known him for a little over two weeks, after all. But since when has time ever mattered?
I guess Rodrick was kinda cute… well, more than cute, he was damn hot. And for the most part he had a decent personality.
Damn, now I was going to start considering feelings for him. Maybe Luna did that on purpose, she did know me enough for her to know I’d do this… But I didn’t want to consider any feelings for Rodrick; I just wanted him to be a friend.
But he’d be a great boyfriend…
I got so caught up with my thoughts I almost didn’t realize I was walking past my first period English class, but I caught myself and entered the room. I found that there were still many seats open, so I began to walk toward the back.
Which seat did Rodrick sit in during last period? He sat near the back…
I need to stop.
All I was now thinking about was Rodrick and what Luna said.
“Damn you, Luna.” I grumbled as I sat at a desk (which was the seat Rodrick liked to sit in most).
**************************
“Luna, I hate you.” I said as I walked to my computer in our last period. She gave me a confused look but smiled.
“And what did I do this time?” She asked. I looked around and motioned for her to come closer. She rolled in her chair as I leaned over my desk, “So, what?”
“All I can think about is Rodrick.” I replied quickly. Now she was grinning.
“And that’s my fault?” I glared at her slightly.
“You made me consider feelings for him.” I added. Luna had a triumphant look on her face.
“So, then, do you like him now?”
“I’m not sure.” I said and sat in my chair. I logged onto my computer quickly and went to my project, “I kinda do, but I kinda don’t.” Luna was still smirking, “And I know you did that on purpose.”
“Oh, innocent little me?” She replied in a childish tone. I rolled my eyes.
“Yes you, you ass.” She laughed lightly and turned in her chair.
“Oh, well then…” I began to look over what I had so far on my presentation and it wasn’t much. It was a new thing for me to actually write about a person, I was never a fan of biographies and now here I was making one. I also noticed I wasn’t so great at it.
I let out a sigh; this project was difficult, the topic was difficult, and I didn’t know what to do.
The majority of the period I spent doing practically nothing; I spent half the time trying to work on the project and the other thinking about/looking at pictures of Rodrick. Dammit, I think I have feelings for him. And I will say now that I have no idea how to behave around guys I like; I’ve never had a boyfriend and every time I had liked a guy he never knew much more than my name. So, now things could be a little awkward around Rodrick.
I was now walking down the hall silently with Luna to the front of the school. For some of multimedia she would bother me about Rodrick but I did my best to ignore her, so she eventually gave up.
“Hey, I hate to tell you this now, but I have to stay after school for tutoring.” Luna said, “I have to go that way.” She pointed down another hall. I let out a sigh.
“That’s fine…” I began walking away from Luna, “I can walk.”
“You’re gonna walk two miles?” Luna asked surprised.
“Hey, I may be a lazy ass, but I can walk more than a couple hundred feet.” I replied and smiled.
“Don’t get kidnapped.” Luna joked. I rolled my eyes and smiled.
“If you insist.” Luna began walking away, “Bye.” I made my way to my locker, got a few things, and walked out front. I looked around the parking lot and began walking.