‹ Prequel: Enchanted to Meet You
Sequel: Innocent
Status: Active :)

Better Than Revenge

Superhero

Valerie's POV:

I was almost out cold, but the sound of the door flying open startled me awake.

I saw a blurry figure approaching me, so I rubbed my eyes to make it clearer.

"I'm sorry." Jacob crouched on the floor next to the sofa.

I sat myself up and yawned. "It's okay." I checked the clock. It was almost 10:30 when he left ; now it was close to 11:45. "Whoa."

He checked for himself, huffing a breath of air. "I'm sorry." He repeated.

I noticed the tense feeling that followed him. "Is everything alright?"

Jake peeked behind him to see if Emily was near. "I kind of quit Sam's pack."

"You what?!"

"Shh!" He cupped his hand over my mouth.

I spoke through his hand. "Why did you do that?"

"It's a long story, I'll tell you later. You gotta get home." He dropped his hand to grab mine and help me up.

I was still stunned. "Jake-"

"Stop! I said I'll tell you later."

I stopped real fast.

I felt like I was sneaking out of Emily's house...it was probably because I was. But I didn't understand why he would do something so drastic. Quitting the pack was like quitting your family. It's not something you just do.

We were safe in his car, but he still made sure I kept my mouth shut with a side glance. It wasn't until several minutes later that he felt secure enough to talk about it.

"They want to kill Bella." He said simply. "They think it's the only way to be sure it doesn't hurt anyone."

I blinked. "It?"

"The...baby." He nearly gagged calling Bella's child a baby.

I sighed. At least he had a good reason. "But Jake, you shouldn't leave your brothers."

"I didn't leave all of them." He pointed out. "I'm drowning in Clearwaters."

"Seth too?"

"And Leah."

Surprisingly, I chuckled. "You guys are nuts."

He loosened his mood with a smile. "I practically disown the kid and he comes running after me like a lost puppy."

I smiled, too. "He looks up to you."

"Sure, sure."

I saw my house appear outside my window. The porch light was on.

I turned to Jake. "Where are you going after this?"

He shrugged. "Home."

"I'm not stupid. Where are you going?"

He rolled his eyes, annoyed that I caught him. "Probably to watch the Cullens overnight." He stuck his finger in my face. "You can't come."

I scoffed. He caught me back. "I want to see Bella."

"Val, it's almost midnight."

"I'm nocturnal now."

He gave me a strange look. I stuck out my tongue.

"She's probably sleeping."

"I can sleep over, then."

"I thought you were nocturnal?"

I groaned. "Jacob, let me come!"

He groaned back. "Fine! Just shut up."

"Fine."

He stepped on the gas and we zoomed down the street.

. . . . . . . .

Bella wasn't sleeping. I bumped Jake with my elbow and smirked. He rolled his eyes.

"Valerie!" She exclaimed. It wasn't very loud, but I knew she meant it.

I hurried over to her and curled my arms gently over her bony frame. "How are you?"

"I'm alright." She held me tight, and it surprised me. I didn't know she was strong enough.

"I'm staying here tonight, if that's okay." I sat halfway on the sofa next to her.

"That's great. I miss you." She held both my hands. Her eyes travelled up to Jacob. "Hi, Jake."

He half smiled. "How's that A positive treating you?"

She laughed an airy laugh. I didn't quite get the joke.

"Here you are, Bella." That voice.

I felt my spine chill as her arm passed inches from my skin. She handed Bella a white styrofoam cup with a straw. Carlisle was right by her side, holding onto her shoulder.

"Thank you." Bella took the cup eagerly. She began drinking.

"You're improving greatly, Elena." Carlisle said. "I'm impressed."

"Anything for Bella." She smiled. Her eyes transferred to me. "Can I get you a drink? - Not the same, of course."

Carlisle and Bella laughed together.

I watched Bella slurp what seemed like thick red fluid through the straw. "Um...do you have...water?"

"I'll get it for you." Jacob was suddenly hooking his arm through mine. "Come with me?"

"Okay," I said, dazed.

He led me - well, dragged me - into the kitchen. I totally spotted the empty blood bag on the counter before Jacob slipped it off and into the trash.

"Oh, my God." I breathed.

He was filling a glass with water from the sink. "I know, I know."

"She's drinking - But she's still - how could she be drinking -"

"Val, I know." He set the glass on the counter next to my hand and held my face in both of his.

"Bella is friends with her now?" I asked, completely in shock. "When did that happen?"

"Relax." He pressed his forehead to mine. I breathed in his wolfy nature and calmed my bubbly stomach.

Bella called my name from the other room.

I took a sip of the water and set it down shakily.

Bella was alone - thankfully. I took the same seat I was in before.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. I tried to make it look real. "Where did Elena go?"

"Seth and Leah are here." Jacob said, leaving the room to meet them outside. He left me.

I made the connection without wanting to make it. Why the hell did I decide to come back here?

Bella gasped, clutching at her side. I jumped up from my seat. "Bella?" I asked frantically.

"I'm fine." She choked, taking a heavy breath.

"Carlisle!" I called him anyway.

Edward answered instead. He held his hand over hers and waited until she was breathing normally again.

"I'm fine." Bella repeated, this time to Edward.

He rose to his feet slowly, frowning. He patted my shoulder a few times.

I could barely breathe. "I'm going to go outside for a bit."

He nodded, completely understanding. After all, he could read minds...

Finding the front door was like running through a maze. It took longer than necessary, but when I found it, I burst through.

Jacob was standing off along the trees with both Leah and Seth, but they all turned when I appeared.

My eyes locked to Seth, as did his to me. We both sighed with relief, and I started down the few steps.

I dropped my eyes to my feet for just those few moments and in that time Elena flew passed me and into Seth's arms.

She kissed him deeply, clawing her fingers in his hair. My entire body went rigid. He kissed her back, and I nearly lost my balance.

He did push her away, but it was too late for that to mend the wound that formed. Seth left her standing there and started over to me, his eyes wide with an apology.

I shook my head, biting my bottom lip.

He slowed to a halt and continued to watch me with those sorrowful eyes.

Jacob marched passed and bumped Seth with his shoulder. He stood in our line of vision, consuming my attention. "I'll take you home."

I didn't protest, holding onto his arm as he led me to his car. Jake is always the one saving me. He flies in to the rescue like a superhero, and he knows exactly when to do it. He called over his shoulder back to Seth and Leah, asking them to watch things while he was gone.

Jacob drove me down the long drive infront of the Cullen's house when I made him pull over.

He obeyed, but protested. "Val, you aren't ready for any of that right now. I'm not taking you back."

I ignored him, leaning across the seat to entrance him in the most passionate kiss I could gather inside. It included crawling inbetween the steering wheel and his body, straddling myself around him.

His reaction was delayed, and he was still for a while, but quickly returned the favor, clutching at my waist with his hot hands.

I knew what I wanted, but I knew he wouldn't allow it. His fingers grabbed tighter, this time trying to stop me.

"Val, please." He gasped weakly.

I smirked, proud of myself. "I love you."

"No, you don't."

It offended me. "Yes, I do." I kissed him again, running my fingers over the front of his chest. I found the hem of his shirt and started to hike it upwards.

He caught my wrists. "Look at what you're doing. You don't love me, not like this."

I framed my hands around his neck. "Jake, you are the best friend I've ever had. Isn't that what most people look for? Their best friend?"

He started shaking his head, so I kept going.

"I love you because I trust you. You saved me. It might not be enough, for Bella, but it is for me."

He thought about it.

"Aren't you supposed to be some kind of hormonal teenage boy? Am I not enough for you?"

"It's not that."

"Then what?" I leaned forward, drawing circles on his chest. "Come on, Jake."

I glued our lips together again, and he almost gave in. Almost.

"Valerie."

"What?" I whined.

"Don't do this." He pleaded, setting my wrists at my sides.

"Jacob, I want this." I promised.

"You don't want this. You're upset, and clearly your judgement is very poor."

I pouted. "Why are you ruining it?"

"Because I care about you." He helped me retake my seat on the passenger side. "You'll thank me tomorrow, but right now you need sleep."

I set my feet on the dashboard because I knew he wouldn't freak out about getting it dirty. Not this time, anyway.

She was replacing me. Elena was already closer to Bella than I was, and she was successful in stealing away Seth. It was like she became the new Valerie.

I was invisible.
♠ ♠ ♠
you really don't need to read that whole thing underneath this. it's just me getting my feelings out. i needed to put it there because it made me feel better :) thank you for your reading and commenting! oh and i'm sorry if there was a layout issue. i'm losing my mind. ;)

seriously. don't read this.

OK is it just me or does anybody else feel like there's a vampire-hybrid-demon child inside them? ever since i went to the midnight show of breaking dawn i've felt sick. literally, bella threw up after eating chicken and i almost did the same. and i still feel icky! AHH i don't know what's wrong with me. it might be my nerves because this weekend is the play at my school and i'm in stage crew but the regular stage manager is working the flying machine during a few scenes so i have to call all the scene changes and it's literally SO SCARY! it freaks me out. i mean i have a neat headset thingy that i can talk to the other stage manager in the left wing of the stage but it's craaaaaaaazy. who knows. it's either reneesme or butterflies in my tummy. i haven't decided which one it is yet. and i haven't eaten since breaking dawn because i feel like i'm gonna throw up thinking about food...that's probably TMI but oh well! wow...i'm really sorry about that. i needed to write it down...well, type it...HAPPY THANKSGIVING!