‹ Prequel: Enchanted to Meet You
Sequel: Innocent
Status: Active :)

Better Than Revenge

It's Over

Valerie's POV:

I listened, but I couldn't speak. I was told to keep my mouth shut, but I could barely stand it. She was lying, and I couldn't say a word.

"It's unhealthy, really. The only reason she stayed with you was to make Jacob jealous. I mean, who can blame her? It's hard to confess your feelings to your best friend."

It was a lie. All of it, she was making it all up.

"You can't tell me you believed that whole ammesia act? Oh, Sethy. Why do you think she spent all that time with Jacob? She used it as an excuse to take herself away from you. She didn't want to hurt your feelings. I see it, she's been lying."

I wanted to scream.

Then, in almost a whisper, he asked me. "Is it true?"

NO! I started crying and I let him hear me. It was the only voice I had.

"Sethy, your imprint should feel for you just as much as you do for her. Can't you see? We're meant for eachother, you and me. We're soulmates, first kisses, first loves. Nothing can come between that."

I felt my heart catch fire and crumble to ashes.

. . . . . . . .

Seth's POV:

"Can we talk outside, please?"

Elena's smile was small, but so evil I could barely stand it. 

I held on loosely when she slipped her fingers through mine. I walked her a little out into the sand. The sky was dark with clouds over the water. A storm was coming soon.

"I didn't want to hurt her, Sethy. I know she means alot to you."

I nodded slowly. "I know. But it had to be done." 

"I wish there was another way." She wrapped her arms around my neck.

I heard the rumbling in their chests, and the earth beneath their paws waiting for the moment to strike.

I actually hugged her for real. "So do I."

  "I mean, I saw she was lying to you, but I didn't think it was my place to say something, you know?"

I held my breath, leaning back to get a better look at her. "Can you see me lying?"

The question caught her off guard, and those few moments of confusion were enough to end it.

I turned my back and closed my eyes, but I couldn't block out the sound. I heard the deadly growls spring and attack, followed by the sound of nails on a chalkboard. They ripped her flesh easily, but the sound was deafening. The thought wasn't much better.

There was a sudden silence that fell as a last growl echoed off the dunes. It was over just as fast as it started.

I gulped but my mouth was dry. A pair of hands anchored to my shoulders. "Come on." Jacob shifted his arm around my back and led me back into the shack so I didn't need to look back.

I cleared my mind and focused solely on the girl that kept my heart beating.

She was arched on the floor in the corner, camoflagued against the
wood. She hugged her knees to her chest, hiding under a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up.

I sighed, relieved there wasn’t any blood.

I checked to see if she noticed us there, but she was quiet, unmoving. "Valerie?"

I crouched on the floor near her. “Val it’s okay, she’s gone. It's over.” I reached out to touch her, but she somehow sensed my hand was close. She closed in on herself, shutting me out.

“Let me talk to her.” Jake tapped me out of the way and squatted where I was. He lifted Valerie out of her balled up position, pulling away her arms and lifting her face by her chin. She didn’t protest. She just looked at him, and he looked back.

He pinched her chin between his fingers and then he slapped her square across the face. Her face wrinkled up, and then she burst into tears.

I couldn’t say anything, I couldn’t believe what I just saw.

He pulled her into his chest like a hug would make it all better. I kicked him out of the way, hard. Valerie fell forward a little, using her hands to catch herself. Jake bumped into the wall after sliding across the floor. It caused the entire shack to shake.

Jacob obviously noticed my alarm. “She was in shock. It’s good that she’s crying.”

“You didn't have to do that!” I spluttered, scooting forward to help Valerie back up.

“Seth, come on,” I didn’t even take the courtesy to look at him, let alone listen.

“She needs both of us.” He was right, as much as I hated to admit it. But I ignored him. I got good at that.

I sat there for a few seconds, listening to her crying. She wouldn't let me hold her, as much as I wanted to. I reminded myself of something.

“Are you hurt?” I whispered to her. She cried harder, louder, answering my question loud and clear. “Let me see.”

She shook her head.

“I’ve gotta help you, please just let me - " I tried to twist her body, but she refused.

I lost patience. “Valerie, let me see.” I demanded, maybe a little too aggressively.

Her shoulder’s stopped shaking, and she silenced her tears. She lifted her head for me, but kept her eyes closed. Her makeup was smeared and running down her face, making her look ten times worse. 

Her hands were splotched with dry blood, so she was definitely bleeding somewhere. I studied the side of her face again, hooking my finger around her chin to turn her head.

I checked the other side, the length of her neck dripping with it.

“Oh my god.”

She started crying again.

“It’s okay, really.” I lied. “It’s not that bad.”

The bite was so obvious, but it wasn't on her neck. It began at the corner of her mouth, reaching past her bottom lip. She bit the side of her mouth?

Val opened her wet and swollen eyes to look at me. It was like she was pleading for my help without saying so many words. She looked so vulnerable and defenseless that I wished I ripped the monster to shreds myself.

I noticed a towel hanging above us and tugged it down, pressing it gently to her face. Her hand held it over mine and I slid my hand out, allowing her to hold it there.

We stared at each other, me looking like I’d just witnessed childbirth and Val looking like she’s been bit by a vampire. My vision began to blur with my own tears, but I shook it away.

"She's not coming back." I promised. "She can't hurt you anymore."