‹ Prequel: Enchanted to Meet You
Sequel: Innocent
Status: Active :)

Better Than Revenge

She Didn't Win

Seth's POV:

My stomach was swirling like a toilet that kept flushing. I didn't know why I was so nervous.

Jacob kicked the back of my leg again. "Walk!" He ordered.

I cringed at the kick, but quickened my sluggish pace. "What if she's right? What if I won't be able to see past the scar?"

"Then I guess you'll have to figure something else out." Jake shoved my shoulder when I slowed down again. "At this rate, you'll never find out."

"But that's the thing," I stepped sideways so he didn't have to walk behind me anymore. "I don't know if I want to find out."

"How about you just worry about being there for her right now, especially since she asked for you?"

"She asked for you, too." I muttered.

"Yeah." Jacob kicked a rock ahead of us. "But I'm in second place."

. . . . . . . .

Valerie's POV:

"It won't hurt, will it?"

Carlisle smiled at me. "You won't feel anything."

I smiled back, even though I couldn't tell if he was lying. I ran over to the window and pinned back the curtain. He wasn't here yet.

"So are you feeling alright lately? Any pain at all?"

I dropped the curtain. "Not really. Nothing as bad as that one time." I winced at the memory of throbbing pain behind my eyes and deep in my head.

"That's a good sign. You're almost back to normal."

I pressed my lips into a line. "Yeah. Almost."

Someone knocked on the door three times. My insides jerked at the surprise, and I leapt to the door. I was smiling before I even got there.

But it dropped abruptly.

Jacob shrugged his shoulders, seeing my dissapointment. "Hey, Stranger."

I tried to seem happy. "Hi, Loser."

Jake slipped past me and into the house. "Ready to rip out some stitches?"

I stared longingly outside for a few seconds longer. "Certainly."

Carlisle set up his doctorly devices on the dining room table, and I took a seat in the chair he set up for me. I saw the little scissor-like tool and remembered he was going to literally rip a wire out of my face.

Jake pulled up a chair next to me. I felt for his hand immediately, once he was in reach.

"Now, I need you to relax the muscles in your face." Carlilse said in a soothing voice. I sighed to try and calm myself like he asked.

He started to dab some sort of moisture onto my skin. It made it cold. I squeezed Jake's hand, and he squeezed back. I tried to focus on something else, like how I was sitting here holding hands with Jacob freaking Black when it should be Seth freaking Clearwater.

How could he do that? How could he just not show up? How could he send Jacob as a replacement without saying anything?

Carlisle held my chin, turning it on an angle. "Hold it right there."

I closed my eyes, screwing them shut in fear of watching the scissors approach my face.

"Breathe, Val." Jacob reminded me.

I let out a big puff of air.

"It won't be as uncomfortable if you relax." Carlisle told me.

"I'm fine." I said.

I squeezed the life out of the unlucky fingers trapped in my grip as I felt a slight tugging sensation on my lip. It wasn't so much the pain as it was the idea.

I felt a heavy pressure in my chest and realized I forgot to breath again. "I can't." I leaned away, tucking a strand of hair away from my sweaty forehead.

"He's almost done." Jacob promised. "You can do it."

I shook my head, facing the truth. "Where's Seth?"

Jacob sighed, prying my fingers away. "Can you hold on for a minute?"

Carlisle set down his things.

Jake touched my shoulder. "I'll be right back."

. . . . . . . .

Jacob's POV:

I jumped off the porch and just started yelling.

"Where are you?" I scanned the trees for the sandy furball. He phased on pure anxiety, pretty much because he couldn't face her. So I had to look like a fool when she answered the door. I don't understand him at all.

I spotted his head hanging low on the left side of the forest. His tail was probably between his legs, too.

"You wanna pull your act together and get in there? She won't do it without you."

He watched the house with a longing expression.

"Well?"

His butt hit the ground first, before he layed down completely and rested his head on his paws.

"What are you afraid of? She wants you to hold her hand, not me."

He didn't budge. I decided to slam him instead of babying him.

"Get your ass up and phase back before I phase, too!"

. . . . . . . .

Val's POV:

I sighed out loud, completely relieved. "Where have you been?"

Seth shuffled in sheepishly, taking Jacob's place. "I'm sorry, I should have been here earlier."

I had my hands folded in my lap, but he pulled one into his and held it securely between his hands. "Let's get that beautiful face back." He smiled.

I blushed a deep red, and could feel it when Carlisle touched my skin with his cool fingers again.

I withstood the tugging and finally, every last stitch was removed. The worst was over, but now I needed to see the results.

Carlisle started to pack up his things and I hugged him before he left. I knew my mom would bake him brownies or something, even though he wouldn't eat them. It's the thought that counts, I guess.

I was hesitant in running my fingers over the raised surface on my lips. I wondered what it looked like, but I was afraid to look.

Seth wouldn't stop smiling at me, so I assumed it was a good sign. "Well?" I asked.

"You look great!" He reached his thumb out to my face. "It's barely there."

"Really?" I had trouble believing it, so I found the mirror in the living room.

It was there, but all that was left were two light pink crescents facing each other. The one on my top lip kind of puckered the skin, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

"It's a miracle!" I exclaimed, ready to start leaping in the air. I leaned closer into my reflection. "It's not even noticeable! How did it do that?"

Seth just chuckled, trying to control his grin.

I stared for an extra second, soaking it in. She didn't win!

I turned back to Seth and closed his cheeks between my hands, planting a kiss on his lips. Then I dashed into the kitchen to find the phone and tell my mom that I didn't
look like a bitten apple after all.

I listened to it begin ringing and checked back at Seth. His grin wasn't as super excited as it was. He kind of seemed to be in shock, watching me like he was unsure of whether I was imaginary or real.

My mom's voicemail picked up when I realized I just kissed him.

My jaw dropped but I picked it up immediately. I didn't even realize what I was doing, but I just kissed him!

I still had the phone pressed to my ear. Seth stood directly in front of me, and didn't waste any time in helping our lips meet again. He was gentle, worried that he would hurt me, but it didn't matter. To kiss him again was like getting a fresh breath of air after holding it in for so long.

Oh yeah, she definitely didn't win.
♠ ♠ ♠
MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HANNUKAH! i hope your holidays are super duper :)