Pathways

Of Reunions and Visitations

Eldrun Hawke had never been a morning person, even as a child. This became notably worse when his lover moved into his Hightown estate.

"Eldrun, you truly do need to rise today," Fenris sighed, walking over to the four-poster bed the two shared. "Varric wishes for us to meet with some assassin that's been trying to talk to him."

Eldrun groaned, shoving a pillow over his head. "Why me? Why can't Isabela do it? She's better at persuading people to do something or to make them go away or to skip in circles or whatever she wants them to do. Or make Aveline make them go away. I don't want to get out of bed."

"Hawke, this is behavior is...not appropriate for someone of your age or status," Fenris smirked, one black eyebrow raising up as he crossed his arms and leaned on the bedframe. "The sun is up. You should be as well."

"No. I refuse."

"Hawke, do not make me literally force you out of this room. You're stark naked, it would scar Sandal and Orana, and I WILL actually do it."

Eldrun pouted at that, but removed the pillow and sat up, rubbing sleep out of his eyes. "You're a cruel person, you know that? You're very mean to me."

Fenris straightened and reached over, pushing Eldrun's auburn hair out of his eyes in a rare display of affection. "If that is what you believe, Hawke. Come, Orana made breakfast and I would enjoy food before we see what this assassin wants."

The taller man swung his legs over the bed and unwillingly began dressing. "I will hold you accountable for any mood swings I have today, Fenris."

"I'm sure that will pain me greatly," the elf deadpanned, and headed out the bedroom door. "I will be in the kitchen when you're done with your beauty regimen."

"I HAVE no 'beauty regimen,' you bastard!" Eldrun yelled after Fenris's retreating back as the elf laughed. "Just because I use lotion does not make it that!" Huffing, he tugged his boots on and headed downstairs, deciding to stop by the writing desk before joining Fenris, Sandal, Bodhan, and Orana in the kitchen.

A letter with a shiny gold seal caught his eye first, recognizing it as the crest of the Ferelden royal family. He immediately picked it up and opened it while walking toward the kitchen.

Fenris looked up from loading his plate with eggs. "What is that?" he asked, brow furrowed.

"A letter from the king himself. 'I request your presence at noon at Viscount's Keep. Please come.'" Eldrun flipped the paper over, wondering if maybe something was written on the back. "It seems real. From what I know King Alistair isn't the most eloquent. But that's what Queen Anora's for. She does the talking, he sits there and looks pretty and plays Wicked Grace with a drunk dwarf."

"Ahh, he is quite the charmer though!" Bodhan added happily. "Sandal and I traveled with him and the Warden Commander during the Blight. We couldn't return to Orzammar and felt safest with them. Sandal became quite fond of the Commander and her mabari, Butler I think his name was?"

Sandal grinned and clapped his hands. "Doggie!" he exclaimed, which led to Eldrun's mabari, Dagger, getting excited and barking.

"Dagger! Quiet yourself!" Eldrun called out to the area by the fireplace, where Dagger was awaiting scraps. The mabari whined but quieted down at Eldrun's order. "So, I'll head up there at noon, I guess. I'll get Anders and Aveline; she was at Ostagar and he's a Warden. Maybe they knew each other." He smiled at Fenris, hoping for reassurance.

Fenris nodded, eyes narrowing at the mention of Anders. "If the abomination is coming, I will be as well. I do not trust him around you, although I believe Aveline to be an excellent deterrant for him trying anything with you."

The pair left after breakfast, Eldrun grinning at the feel of sunlight on his face and a breeze blowing his hair back more than normal. "I'll never get tired of this weather." He stretched as Fenris closed the door behind them.

Fenris frowned. "I prefer the warmer climate by the coast, or that of Seheron. I dislike cold weather and this breeze is too cold for my liking."

And so they began the trek, first to Darktown to collect Anders, and they ran into Aveline who was finishing a Lowtown patrol in the process.

"So we are to meet King Alistair?" Aveline asked, a smile displayed on her face as they entered the Hightown market. "I'm actually nervous. I feel silly, but I do."

Anders had been quiet the entire time. He'd felt uneasy since the previous night; he could sense another Warden was in Kirkwall but could not tell who. He believed Justice knew, but was not telling him deliberately.

Rounding the corner to the courtyard before the Keep, Anders stopped dead in his tracks and looked off towards a row of pillars. Aveline and Eldrun were caught up in stories of the Warden and King Alistair's journey to end the Blight, but Fenris noticed, and touched Eldrun's shoulder, signaling him to wait.

Eldrun looked back, and noticed the surprise on Anders's face, and that he was rooted in place. "Anders? Is everything alright?"

Anders shook his head and bolted in the direction he was staring at, spinning what seemed to be a petite woman towards him, her hood falling back in the process, her long ears and bright red hair revealed. "I - what - Commander! What are you doing here!?" he cried, crushing her into a hug before she could reply.

Aveline and Eldrun looked at each other, both fairly shocked. When a Warden Commander showed up, something was generally about to go very, very wrong. Both knew of what happened in Amaranthine; the city burned to the ground, Vigil's Keep saved, and blighted land that may never recover. The rest of the group wandered over to where Anders and the Commander were talking.

"You should know why I'm here, Anders," the woman said, expression neutral. "You're the one who ran first."

Anders smiled sadly in response. "I'm sorry about that. I left once, came back, and left again...but you had already disappeared before that second escape."

Aren shook her head. "I heard Zevran. He called to me somehow in the Fade. I left that night." She glared down at the ground a moment before looking sharply up at Anders. "And I know exactly what happened with Justice. Do not hide yourself from me, spirit. I resent you quite thoroughly."

Eldrun stepped forward, putting his hands up in a defensive stance. "Not to shatter this cute little reunion, but we have a meeting to attend. You are welcome to join us, Commander, and we can all get drunk at the Hanged Man until Varric tells us what to do about this assassin business."

Something flashed in Aren's eyes, which Fenris did not miss, but she nodded and fell in step with Anders as they began walking up the steps to the Keep.