Pathways

Decisions

Errands seemed to preoccupy the Champion's time for much of Aren's stay in Kirkwall. Meredith and Orsino were running him ragged, trying to convince him to sway from neutrality. He was becoming haggard, and his companions seemed to grow more concerned as time wore on.

Then the was the matter of Anders. She had been watching him very carefully, watching him become more and more withdrawn and sullen, resigned in a certain manner. And a resigned Anders was a dangerous one; she had not seen that look since he thought she would betray him to the templars in Amaranthine. She didn't trust it, and she certainly didn't trust whatever Justice had changed in him.

Aren and Zevran had been in Kirkwall for roughly a month when a caller from the Gallows came to Hawke's estate late one night. Fenris had been tense all day, and it seemed to worsen when Hawke came back with a slip of paper from Meredith simply stating 'We need you at the Gallows. Tonight. -M'.

"Hawke, I do not think we should answer this," Fenris stated, brow furrowed.

The mage sighed, running his hand down his face and scratching at his scruff. "I have to, Fenris. I may not like it, but I won't leave Kirkwall to her. The people don't deserve that."

Aren stood, taking her staff from the wall and settling it on her back. "We will come as well," she stated. Zevran downed the last of his wine and stretched as he stood to join her, chair scraping across the floor. "No," she said as Eldrun began an argument, "this is not going to end well. You're going to need help."

"Why do you think it will end badly?" Fenris snapped. She didn't blame him, no one wanted the worst situation to come to pass.

"Why else would Meredith send for you this late? Something's gone wrong, and if she believes it's bad, then it's likely even worse."

"Well then," Zevran grinned, "shall we stand here and talk or march into the belly of the beast?"

- - - - - - - - - -

Kirkwall nights were cold, and this one was no different. Aren sorely wished she'd brought a longer pair of robes, but her fur shawl would have to do. Meredith and Orsino were in front of the Chantry, argument already under way, a few templars and circle mages surrounding them.

"I will have the tower searched, top to bottom!" the knight-commander bit out.

"You have no right!" Orsino argued back, hands gesturing wildly in the argument. She heard Eldrun mumble something under his breath, likely on how they argued like siblings.

It was over accusations of blood mages yet again, an argument Meredith would never give up and one Orsino would always be defensive against. Aren doubted it would ever end. She stood back with Fenris and Zevran, and Sebastian Vael who had joined them, as the Champion walked over to try and calm the argument down. She was certain the rest of his companions would be there in a few minutes if the Starkhaven prince was already there; word traveled fast in Kirkwall, after all.

Meredith grew more incensed the more Eldrun tried to play peacemaker, and Orsino seemed to grow sadder and more determined. There was no way this could end well, she agreed with them both on that statement. Orsino moved towards the Chantry, saying how the Grand Cleric could settle this, angering Meredith even more as she pulled him back.

"The Grand Cleric cannot help you!" Aren's neck cracked as she stared at Anders, out of breath from running to the scene. Dread pooled in her stomach as she felt Fenris tense beside her. Isabela and Merrill were not far behind Anders, and she assumed Varric would be there momentarily as well.

Meredith spun on him. "Explain yourself, mage."

Anders growled. "I will not stand by and watch you treat all mages like criminals, while those who would lead us bow to their templar jailers."

"How dare you sp-" Orsino started, interrupted by Anders slamming the butt of his staff on the ground.

"The Circle has failed us, Orsino! Even you should be able to see that!" Blue cracks light up along Anders, Justice's way of showing how badly he was fighting to maintain control.

Aren sucked a breath in. 'No. Anders, no,' she thought.

"The time has come to act," Anders said, voice cracking with Justice's energy, "There can be no half measures."

Eldrun's face had gone pale, highlighted by the moonlight. "Anders," he pleaded, voice quiet and reaching out towards his friend, "what have you done?"

Anders would not meet his eyes. "There can be no turning back."

A deep rumble shook the ground, drawing all eyes toward the Chantry. Anders kept his gaze firmly on the ground, while the rest of the the arguing parties stood as if they were rooted to the ground as red light filled the building, shooting through the top and causing the rest to explode and crumble, debris and ash flying across the city and over the group.

The shock was interrupted by coughing and waving hands trying to clear some air as embers fell among them, looks of shock and horror across all but one face.

"Maker have mercy," Meredith uttered, voice a fraction of what it was when she was arguing with Orsino.

"There can be no peace," Anders said, voice harsh in the aftermath as he finally looked up at Eldrun, who was still staring at his friend in complete shock.

"Elthina, no!" Sebastian cried, the prince falling to his knees, voice wrecked with grief. "Maker, no! She was Your most faithful, Your most beloved..." His hands curled into fists on the ground as he hung his head. "Maybe she wasn't there, maybe she made it..." Aren watched him carefully as he steeled himself, standing to bless the remains of the Chantry. Once a brother, always a brother, she supposed.

"The Grand Cleric has been killed by magic, the Chantry destroyed," Meredith spat, voice pure venom as the faced the Champion's friends and Orsino. "As Knight-Commander of Kirkwall, I hereby invoke the Rite of Annulment -" Aren's breath halted as the group seemed to shift to cover its mages - "Every mage in the Circle is to be executed, immediately!"

Orsino snapped. "The Circle didn't even do this! Champion, you can't let her! Help us stop this madness!"

"And I demand you stand with us!" the Knight-Commander ordered, turning to the Champion as well. "Even you see that this outrage cannot be tolerated!"

"Why are we debating the Rite of Annulment when the monster who did this is right here?" Sebastian said, keeping his eyes on the remains of the Chantry but speaking directly to Eldrun, voice biting with anger. "I swear to you, I will kill him!"

Anders turned to Eldrun again. "It can't be stopped now," he said, voice oddly calm, "You have to choose."

The shocked look had not left the Champion's face, and Aren pitied him. This was not a situation anyone wanted to be in, and she felt Fenris bristle beside her. "I- I could have stopped you," Eldrun uttered.

"No," Anders shook his head, "this had to happen."

"Do you - do you realize what you've started here!?"

"I do. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you earlier." Aren wasn't convinced he was sorry at all, and would not feel bad wagering much of the group felt the same way. "The Circle is an injustice, in many places beyond Kirkwall. The world needs to see."

Aren snapped magic sparking around her as she stalked forward to Anders. "The world needs to see!? Do you not remember Kinloch Hold? Do you not remember the work I have poured into Ferelden's Circle? To make mages accepted across the country? Do you realize what you have done?" Anders's expression remained unchanged, but he wanted to step back from her. It spurred her anger further. "You destroyed a Chantry, Anders. You killed innocent people. What have you done?"

"Commander, Hawke - you have to realize this!" he pleaded. Good, he was breaking under furious twin stares. "There can be no compromise!"

"You fool!" Orsino cried, hands shaking. "You have doomed us all!"

"No," Anders said, returning the First Enchanter's stare, "we were already doomed."

"No, Anders," Eldrun growled, fury finally bleeding into his body language. "You have killed innocents; their blood is on your hands!"

"The people will demand blood," Meredith stated, eyes cold. "I will not stop this."

A pause. No one dared breathe as the Champion and Knight-Commander stared each other down.

"I will not let her harm you," he said, shifting to stand in front of the circle mages and his friends. Aren did the same, drawing her staff as the templars gripped their swords.

"Hawke, you would defend these mages?" Fenris asked. "After all they have done to you?"

"I must maintain order, Hawke," Aveline stated, voice full of regret. "Even if it means standing against you."

"Think carefully, Champion," Meredith warned. "Stand with them and you will share their fate."

Eldrun stood his ground, every inch the Champion of Kirkwall. "I'd rather have their fate than yours."

Fenris's jaw twitch. "Hawke, this is a mistake, but I will not abandon you."

Aveline nodded. "I see what you are trying to do, and I will not abandon you." The rest of the group murmured their agreement, along with Isabela's exasperated mutterings of what she'd gotten herself into.

Meredith's eyes turned icy in anger. "You are a fool, Champion." She raised her hand to the templars behind her. "Kill them all! I will rouse the rest of the Order!"

Orsino moved at the same time, "Go! Run to the Gallows before it's too late!"

The fight did not last long; the templars were met by the forces of Fenris and Aveline, and with the rest of the Champion's friends standing beside Aren and Zevran, they were easily taken down.

But one matter remained, thanks to Sebastian's murderous gaze - Anders.

The blonde mage was sitting on a crate, blood smeared down his cheek from the fight, but it seemed like all the fight had left him. He'd given up, and something in Aren broke at that, despite her fury.

Eldrun stormed over to him. "Anders, what in the void were you thinking!?"

"I had to do it, Hawke," he said, voice broken. "We cannot be at this stalemate forever."

"You started a war, Anders! Kirkwall will fall because of this!"

His head hung even lower, his voice even quieter. "I know."

"Then why-"

"Enough!" Sebastian barked, bow out and arrow taut. "He killed Elthina. Execute him now, Hawke, or I will do it myself."

"Sebastian, wait! There is no need for this!" Desperation was written all over the Champion's face as he stood between his friends.

"No, Hawke," the Starkhaven prince spat. "Would you still be waffling if I'd been in the Chantry? Would you be questioning this action then?"

"Do it, Hawke," Anders said. "Kill me. Release Justice."

Eldrun whirled around, eyes pinched at the corners in disbelief. "Anders, no, I'm not-"

"If he lives, I will bring the fury of Starkhaven upon you, wherever you go, Hawke," Sebastian said darkly, eyes cold in fury.

The tension was palpable, and Eldrun looked as if he was about to break under the sheer pressure of the situation. Zevran glanced at Aren out of the corner of his eye, and that was all the reassurance the small mage needed. She stepped forward, drawing the attention of the entire party.

"As Warden-Commander of Ferelden," she stated, putting as much authority into her voice as she could, "I hereby place the Grey Warden Anders under arrest."

"What!?" Sebastian squawked. "You cannot be serious! This man deserves execution for what he did! You have no rig-"

"I have every right," she said, leveling her gaze to the taller man. He froze. Check one for intimidating glare. "I am the Commander, and as a Warden, Anders is my problem."

Anders stared at her in complete disbelief. "Commander, what -"

Her gaze turned to him and the words died in his throat. "You are under arrest for the murder of innocents and treason against the state. You will be held at Vigil's Keep in Amaranthine until a trial can be organized by the First Warden." She took a deep breath, never breaking eye contact. "You will be forced to relinquish the spirit of Justice residing in you before this trial. If that process kills you, then so be it."

"I accept your list for arrest," Anders stated.

"I'm not giving you a choice to reject it."

"He's - you're - he's going to live?" Sebastian was quaking with anger, gaze flickering between the shocked Champion and the Warden. "I swear to you. You have brought Starkhaven's anger. Maker help you all." He spun and took off towards the docks; no one moved to follow him.

"So," Isabela said, voice first to break the tension. "Seems we have a party to go control, right?"

Varric snorted. "It's no party till people start bleeding."

"Well then," Zevran grinned as the three mages rejoined the group, "let's go spill some blood."