You Give Love a Bad Name

The News

When we pulled into the driveway of my house, I could clearly hear the faint sound of thumping, which was most likely because one of my brothers was blasting music again. It also meant that my Mom was not home, seeing that if she was, she would have put a stop to it immediately.

"Your Mom went to visit your sick second cousin, or something like that," Bob turned around to face me, almost like he was reading my thoughts. "She said for you not to worry, and that she will be back tomorrow."

"Oh," I got out of the car, slamming the door shut, and turned to face the front of my house, only to realize that what I heard before was Helena, which was by one of my favorite bands; The Misfits.

"So who's in charge of the house, then?" Cara asked the boys, coming to stand beside me.

"Gerard nominated and proclaimed himself the winner," Frank replied, putting his car keys in the back pocket of his jeans and walking towards me and Cara with Bob by his side.

"I vote that we throw him and his stupid monarchy over," I grumbled, walking up to the front door, Frank, Bob and Cara's laughter following behind me.

Before I could even pull my keys out, the door flew open, revealing Gerard, who had a huge grin and strands of jet black hair plastered all over his flushed face.

"Omph," I breathed out as Gerard grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me inside the living room.

"Cutting with the knife
blood is spilling everywhere
She will be my wife
Secondary spine,
incisions must be accurate
I know just what to do"


Gerard sang along with Michale Graves, head banging to the fast tempo, which caused half of his hair whip me on my face.

Scowling, I brought one of my hands to cover the left side of my face. "Oww! That was in my fucking eye."

"My hands are
trembling I can't spare to slip
with this knife
Her beauty so illogical
The best come gliding in
Hideous chameleon stripped down
to her skin"


Gerard completely ignored me, not letting go of my shoulders, as he spun me around the leaving room with the insane smirk never leaving his face.

I heard some laughter behind us, and when Gerard twirled me around, I quickly caught sight of Bob, Mikey and Frank standing next to the couch, all of with a beer in one hand as they sniggered at me and my crazed brother.

"Dance to the burning flame
Pleasure exhumes the pain
The night bursts into flames"


"Dance, Helena, dance!" Gerard screamed in my face and I caught a hint of alcohol in his breath, which would explain a lot of things. With one final twirl, he let me go and I stumbled into someone’s chest.

"What the hell is going on?" Ray asked me with raised eyebrows, helping me to steady myself.

"You tell me," I replied with annoyance as I tried to slow down my heart beat, "you were the one who was alone with him while I was in school."

"If I cut off your
arms and I cut off your legs would
you still love me anyway?
There's a spot on the floor where your
limbs used to be and I close the
door on my fantasies"


I watched with amusement as Gerard made a complete ass of himself, jumping around the livingroom, head banging, and belting out the lyrics with an insane shine in his eyes.

Ray nudged me as Gerard started to spin in my direction, stopping only when he was directly in front of me.

"Uh," I started uneasily, "Gerard, what ar-"

"Why don't you love me anyway? HELENAAAAAAAAA," he yelled in my face in response.

"Because I'm not into incest, you idiot," I rolled my eyes, pushing past him so I could make my way into the kitchen, where I guessed Cara, Laurie and Jake would be.

As soon as I opened the kitchen's door, my suspicion was correct; Cara was sitting on the kitchen counter, while Jake was deep in conversation with Laurie.

I cleared my throat to let everyone know that I was in the room as I made my way to the kitchen table curiously, where three white plastic bags laid side by side.

"Lena!"

I turned around just in time to see Laurie leave Jake's side and run towards me, gathering me in a big hug. "You won't believe what happened to me today, kiddo!"

I laughed and hugged my best friend tighter. "Let me guess, does it have something to do with you leaving?"

I could feel Laurie tense against my body. "Who told you that?"

Feeling the need to be a good friend and save Bob and Frank's asses, I thought of an excuse. "The banner in the leaving room that says 'We'll Miss You Laurie!', perhaps?"

She laughed and released me from her bear hug. "Well, I feel smart. Anyway, you know how I waited for months to hear from Utah State University?"

I nodded, thanking Cara who handed me a beer. "Yeah?"

Laurie’s face looked blank for a second, but then she beamed one of the biggest smiles that I had ever seen. "Well, I, Laurel Renee Jones, got in! I got my acceptance letter today! Lena, I'm going to Orem, Utah for school instead of Rutgers! How amazing is that?"

I smiled at her, but my heart dropped to my stomach. University in Utah meant that I wouldn't be able to see Laurie any time I wanted, and as selfish as it sounded, I really didn't care. I just didn't want to lose one of my best friends.

"Lena?" Laurie looked at me quizzically. "Are you okay? You look a bit pale."

"Doesn't she always?"

Laurie and I turned around to see a grinning Frank leaning against the doorframe, a shot glass filled with clear liquid in one hand and a beer in other hand.

Don't be stupid, you idiot, I thought to myself glumly. She deserves this. You know she does. Be happy for her.

I flipped Frank off and turned to face now slightly concerned Laurie, willing my face to break into a genuinely happy smile. "Oh. My. God! Laurie, this is amazing! Wasn't that the top school of your choice, too?"

I guess my grin was convincing enough, because Laurie squealed and hugged me again. "Yes! God, I can't wait! New state, new people, new beginning!"

New friends, those two bitter words ran through my head.

"Yo, short-ass," I turned away from Laurie to see Frank walking towards me, extending the shot glass. "It looks like you need it more than me. Cheers."

"That's rich, coming from the shortest guy on the planet, Iero," I noted sarcastically but took the glass never less, tipping it into my mouth. I shuddered as the strong taste of alcohol burned my insides. "Cheers."