You Give Love a Bad Name

Blackmail

He blinked, looking somewhat dumbfounded as the phone continued to frantically let us know that someone was trying to get in contact with Frank.

That's the second time I've been saved by the phone in the last twenty-four hours, I thought with bitter amusement. I hope this will be the last cause for the occasion.

I cleared my throat. "You should get that."

"I know," he still looked a bit bemused, but to my great relief his grip on my waist loosened enough to enable me to get off him and move to the chair where Ray sat minutes ago.

"Hello?" Frank narrowed his eyes in confusion before his face relaxed and he sat up on the sofa. "Hey Manda, what’s up? I'm okay, why? I just overslept today, that's why I'm not in school, don't worry, I'm fine. Date? Wha- yeah, of course it's still on..."

I got up from the chair and made my way to my room so I could finally get my self ready for the upcoming day, feeling like I was eavesdropping on his conversation, even though I knew I wasn't. As I started to go up the stairs an annoyed voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Yo! Lena!"

I turned around to face Gerard, who was still in his skeleton getup with a mop and a bucket in his hands. "Yes?"

"Where are you going?" He set down the bucket and ran a hand through his sweaty hair, while the mop dripped on the soft carped. He obviously forgot to writhe it. I cringed, Gerard seriously sucked at the whole cleanup thing.

"My room, and then I'm gonna take a shower. Why?" I asked him, looking with mixed pity and amusement as he glared at the mop.

Gerard sighed and held the mop as far away from him as possible. "Well, I dunno where everyone is. I haven't seen Bob since he went to brush his teeth, it's like the shower curtain ate him or something. Ray disappeared, and Frank's talking on his cell. Nobody wants to help me clean the place up, and it's not like we have that much time to make it presentable either. Dad's coming home at three, and Mom called while you were snoozing and said that she's coming at five."

I shot a guilty look in his direction as I started to walk up the stairs once more. "I'm going to help you as soon as I take a shower and make myself a bit more presentable. I promise. I'll tell Bob to hurry up if I see him on the way to my room. I mean, how long does it take to brush one's teeth, anyway?"

"I don't know," Gerard grumbled, shuffling to the kitchen.

As soon as the door to my room was safely closed, I sighed and sat down on my bed, massaging my temples gingerly. Today was going to be a long day. I knew for a fact that it was going to drain me emotionally when I would help Laurie pack. With every article of clothing that Laurie, Cara, and I would pack away into a suitcase, with every book, every stuffed animal, we would really be packing away pieces of our friendship. Pieces of our time spent together. I just hoped that e-mail, phone and rare visits would be enough to keep the three of us as close, if not even closer, as we were right now.

Shaking my head, almost like I was trying to shake away all those grim thoughts, I stood up and walked over to my closet, opening up and selecting my outfit for the day. It was nothing much, seeing that I would probably be spending the whole day at Laurie's house, a plain, baggy, black T-Shirt and my old, faded jeans that I had since I was thirteen years old and was miraculously still able to fit into.

I gathered everything up in my arms and opened the door so I could go to the bathroom and take the well awaited shower. Before I could even take two steps in the general direction, my eyes met a particular sight, Bob walking out of the bathroom, his hair wet and dripping, only clad in a pair of Gerard's boxers.

"Morning, Lena. Sleep well?" He asked me with a teasing edge to his voice.

I bit my lip to hide my annoyed smile, rolling my eyes as I realized exactly what he was getting at. "It was satisfactory."

Bob laughed and shook his blonde hair, spraying droplets of water all through out the hallway, almost like he was a dog. "Mmm, I'm sure that's the case. Is Geetard peeved at me? I decided to take a shower to avoid the whole cleanup thing."

"A bit," I confessed, and nodded my head towards the boxers. "Does Gerard know that you have those on?"

Bob shook his head. "Nope. I didn't bring a change of clothes, so I'm just going to borrow his for today. That's okay, right?"

A look of uncertainty washed over his face, which made me shake my head quickly.

"Of course, it's all right. It's just that Gerard has a thing about, uh, people wearing his underwear. But since it's you, I'm sure it's all good," I reassured him, staring in the direction of the bathroom longingly.

I'm sure that he noticed that because he started to walk towards Gerard's room. "You say it like people borrowing Gerard's undergarments happens on daily bases. Look, go take your shower, bath, whatever, and I'll see you downstairs."

I nodded and finally went to do what I originally set out to do. Get clean and ready to face the day.

I smiled contentedly as I stepped in the kitchen a half an hour later, feeling clean and refreshed, my hair damp and still smelling like Garnier Fructis, the brand of shampoo that I used. But my shoulders tensed along with my mood when I saw Frank slumped over the table, worry etched on his features.

"... can't be that bad," Gerard was trying to comfort him, Ray beside Gerard and Bob on Franks other side, a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "It's only for what? Two hours? I'm sure that it will be fine."

"I can't believe they cancelled," Frank groaned, sinking ever further in his chair. "Even when there was a double date Manda was unbearable, but now I'm royally screwed."

All traces of worry and sympathy left my body as I realized what they were talking about. In my opinion Frank got what he deserved.

"Why did you agree to go out with her anyway?" Ray questioned, watching me as I rummaged through cupboard for something edible.

"I don't know, really," Frank admitted, following Ray's gaze and stopping at the muffin in my hand. "She looked kind of...desperate."

Gerard laughed and shook his head. "It can't be that bad, Frank. I'm sure that we can figure something out. Can't you find someone else to double date with?"

"No," Frank shook his head grimly. "I called everyone I could think of, they all have other plans. Like I said, I'm screwed."

"Oh cheer up," Bob laughed, punching Frank's shoulder playfully. "How bad can it be? She's just a girl for Christ's sake. What can she do? Rape you?"

I cringed and Gerard shot me a concerned look.

"Much worse," Frank mumbled, shuddering at the thought.

Gerard looked thoughtful, as his eyes studied me for a couple of seconds. I shot him a questioning look, but he just smiled as a realization hit him. "Lena could go."

I almost choked on my muffin. "What?"

Gerard laughed at my horrified expression. "Think about it, it's the best option. It's not like you have anything better to do with your day, anyway."

"I'm helping Laurie pack," I replied stiffly.

"Yeah, but that couldn't take that long," Frank stepped into the conversation eagerly. "I called Cara while you were taking a shower and she said that you guys would be done by five. The movie starts at six. It works out perfectly."

"Okay fine, but you're forgetting one main thing," I tried to keep my voice even and calm.

"What?" All four of them asked at the same time, waves of smugness radiating from every one of them.

"I don't have a date." Now it was my turn to be smug. "And I am not going to be the third wheel."

Frank laughed, his features smoothing out once more as he realized what my big excuse was. "That's okay, one of us will go with you."

"Yeah, sure," I snapped, "I'll just take Gerard or Mikey along. We'd make a perfect couple."

"Ha ha ha," Gerard gave my a cold look, not at all amused by my sarcasm. "He meant either Bob or Ray, you idiot."

"Can't do it," Ray shook his head, his curls bouncing up and down with him. "I have work from two till nine."

"I'm willing," Bob said quickly. "As long as Frank pays for the snacks."

Frank grinned and shook Bob's hand. "Deal."

"Hey," I started to protest. "Don't I have a say in this?"

"No," Gerard smirked at me, knowing that tonight's outing was already getting on my nerves. "You go, or else Mom will find out about one of your little doings."

"What?" I growled, my voice hard and low.

Gerard shrugged, the smirk never leaving face. "Oh, I don't know. I'm sure I could find something to blackmail you with. You're hardly a saint."

I realized my defeat and started to make my way to the front door after I scanned the room and made sure everything looked remotely clean. "I'm going to Laurie's."

"I'll pick you up at five thirty, babe. Be ready," Bob's mocking voice echoed behind me, followed by laughter, and I could almost imagine the four of them shaking with glee at my expense.

"Call me 'babe' one more time, and I'll personally make sure you won't be able to reproduce, Bryar," I yelled over my shoulder, slamming the front door as their laughter intensified.