You Give Love a Bad Name

Kleenexs and Airports

I haven't seen Frank since our fight almost two days ago, when Bob and I were 'double dating' with him and Manda, and I would be lying if I said that my anger towards Frank faded away even in the slightest. He didn't show up to school yesterday, because, according to Mikey, he had caught the flu.

I secretly hoped it was really bad case of mono. That jerk deserved nothing less.

I sighed and stuffed my notebook in the locker that was assigned to me, thinking that soon school would be over and I would be free. My plans were simple really, I would spend the rest of the day at Laurie's along with Cara, having a sleep over that we wouldn't have again for a very long time, and then tomorrow we would meet up with the rest of the guys and drive Laurie to the airport so we can say our goodbyes.

I hate this, I thought glumly, slamming my locker shut in frustration only to reveal Frank behind the door.

He looked like shit.

"Hey," he tried to smile at me, but instead he scrunched up his nose and sneezed in a balled up Kleenex.

I took in Frank's tired eyes, pale face, and his nose, red from the constant use of the Kleenex.

"Should you be in school? You don't look so good," I scrutinized his appearance once more as he blew his nose.

Frank shrugged and leaned against a nearby locker causally. "It doesn't matter. Look, I'm sorry for being an ass on Wednesday. You're right."

I tried to rack my brain so I could get some idea that had to do with what he was talking about. I pulled a blank. "What?"

"You were right," Frank repeated again, pulling his jacket closer around himself, shivering slightly. "It's not fair to Manda, that's why this time it's going to be different. I really do like her, so I'm going to make an effort not to fuck this one up."

"What are you saying?" I asked him, confusion evident on my features.

"This is not going to be just another fling, Lena," Frank informed me with a small smile, "I'm growing up and having a normal, healthy relationship."

The pang in my stomach told me that I would rather hear that he was going to a strip club tonight.

I cleared my throat, silently scolding my patheticalness. "That's great. No Frank, really. I'm very happy for you. It's about time I heard something along those lines coming from your mouth."

He grinned and I swear the whole hallway lit up from his smile. "You really think so?"

I nodded, my face matching his. "Duh."

"So, truce?" He studied me carefully, almost like he was afraid I was going to blow up and leave.

I nodded, happy that this day was turning out better then I expected it too. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"I want nothing more then to hug you right now," Frank told me, pausing to cough, "but I'm afraid that you're going to get sick."

I rolled my eyes and extended my arms. "I'm willing to take that risk."

"I still can't believe tomorrow I'll be in my dorm. In Utah," Laurie laughed nervously, clutching the multi-colored pillow to her chest as the shadows from the TV made unusual patterns on her flushed face.

"I'm going to miss you," I told her, leaning over for a hug.

"Me too," Cara joined us in an embrace as well. "It's going to suck not being able to see you when I want."

"I'm going to miss you guys too. Much more then you'll ever guess," Laurie assured us with a small smile. "But we have to be strong and pull through this. Our friendship is too strong to crumble over something petty like moving to a different state."

"You're right," I nodded my head, a huge wight being lifted off my heart. "Cara and I are so visiting you over spring break."

"You're going to see me during winter break first," Laurie informed me, laughing lightly at my eagerness.

"Oh," I grinned, feeling a bit like a moron. "I totally forgot about that."

"Anyway," Cara made sure that Laurie and I had our full attention on her before continuing to speak. "We need to make a pact. Best friends till the end, okay?"

The three of us took each other hands, forming a small circle. "Best friends till death do us part."

"Don't go," I whispered, tears burning my eyes as I hugged my best friend tightly. "Go to Rutgers instead."

Laurie smiled wistfully and gently pulled away, her cheeks red and tear stained. "You know I can't, Lena. I made a choice and now I have to live with it."

"Couldn't you live with your choice somewhere closer to home?" Cara tried to joke, although her condition wasn't better than ours. If it wasn't for Jake, who's hand was around her waist, she would have fallen apart.

Laurie laughed and eloped us in a bear hug once more. "I'm going to call as soon as I land. I promise."

We heard someone clear their throat, which cause us to turn around.

Mr. Jones and Mrs. Jones stood side by side, Gerard, Mikey, Bob, Ray, Frank, and Jake next to them, bittersweet expression on their faces as they gazed at their daughter with misty eyes.

"It's time to go, honey," Mrs. Jones told Laurie gently. "Your plane is about to arrive."

Laurie nodded and went over to give the guys one last hug, stopping to give the longest one to her parents.

Almost as in a daze, I watched Laurie walk towards the security, where she would turn in her carry on and pass through the metal detectors.

"Bye," Laurie's whisper carried behind her shaking shoulders.