You Give Love a Bad Name

Pyjamas and Martha Steward

I blinked at the sudden bright light and watched with horror as two shapes - one in the same dress as mine, only green - stumbled into the room, too preoccupied with themselves to notice me and Logan sitting on the bed.

"I don't know what's more traumatizing," I whispered in Logan's ear, too shocked to move. "The time I accidently walked in on Gerard taking a shower, or the fact that Mikey and Melanie are planning on using my bed for...their purposes."

Logan got a dreamy, faraway look in his eyes as soon as I mentioned Gerard. I could only shudder as I imagined what he was thinking about. And I didn't think that him joining my oldest brother in the shower was too far off the bet.

I watched with wide eyes as both of them continued to advance towards the bed, completely clueless that it was already occupied. Melanie's back was turned to us, and Mikey was working on her dress' zipper, eyes closed and lips interlocked.

Suddenly, Mikey's eyes flew open. He gasped as soon as he realized that there was an unwanted company in the room and quickly broke the kiss.

Melanie giggled and kissed his neck sloppily, obviously drunk. "What's up, babe?"

Logan cleared his throat to get her attention.

Melanie gasped and whirled around, and would have fell down if it wasn't for Mikey's helpful hand around her waist.

The four of us continued to stare at each other like each party was a two headed monster, until Mikey started laughing like a maniac.

"What are you doing here?" Mikey slurred and Melanie giggled like it was the funniest thing she heard all day.

"Um, this is my room," I replied, still somewhat baffled. "What are you doing here?"

"This seems to be the popular question today," Logan whispered so only I could hear.

"This seems to be a popular destination today as well," I whispered back.

"Um," Mikey looked around, still laughing. "Whoops, sorry, wrong room. Frank was looking for you, by the way."

"Frank?" I felt like I've just been dunked into a bucket of cold water. "Um, I'll talk to him later, o-"

"Fraaaaank! I found my sister!"

I groaned and shot Mikey a glare. The only thing that prevented me from getting up and kicking his ass was the fact that he was swaying from side to side like a weeping willow. Just like Mom, Mikey had no trouble being hammered after just few beers.

A thundering up the stairs could be heard before I saw the birthday boy himself. In the flesh.

Frank Iero was grinning at me from the doorway, Zorro mask and all. But as he looked around the room, the grin slid off his face and instead was replaced by thin line.

Suddenly I felt very aware that my arms were around Logan's neck, and his were around my waist.

I've been so preoccupied with Mikey and Melanie that I didn't think of breaking the hug.

I shifted nervously and let my arms automatically fall to my sides. Logan must have sensed my discomfort because he gave me a sympathetic look, but for some reason still held me in the now-turned awkward bear hug. My eyes traveled to the spot where Mikey and Melanie stood but they were gone.

With a sigh, I looked back at Frank.

"Hi," I breathed out, shooting him a shaking smile, my heart beating a million times per minute in my rib cage.

Frank took a moment to reply, still staring at me and Logan with a somewhat confused expression. Finally he cleared his throat, "Um, well, I broke up with Manda, so... When you're not, uh, busy, we should... Wait, are you guys together?"

"Yeah, we are," Logan informed Frank casually, hugging me tighter.

Frank narrowed his eyes and turned to me. "Lena?"

I managed another weak smile and nodded, throwing my arms awkwardly around Logan's neck once again. "Yes. Yes, we are."

"Right," the tone of Frank's voice was somewhat cold and distant. "Well, I'm opening presents downstairs, so if you two aren't too busy, maybe you can join us."

Logan grinned and planted a light kiss on my lips. "Sure thing, birthday boy. We'll be there."

But Frank was already gone from the room.

"He was totally jealous," Logan proclaimed victoriously.

I groaned and pushed him away. "Way to lay it on think. And no, he wasn't jealous. He was pissed of 'cause he thought his best friend would rather suck face than participate in his birthday. I would be too."

Logan rolled his eyes and stood up, offering me a hand. "Lets go, weirdo."

"Yes! You got me the new The Cramps album! Thank you!" Frank exclaimed, excitement shining in his wide hazel eyes as he threw How to Make a Monster on top of the ever-growing pile of presents and leaned in to give Melanie a hug.

"You're welcome, buddy," Melanie slurred happily, under full support of Mikey's firm grip.

"Is it..," Frank was already tearing away at the next wrapper, "Yes! God, yes, it is!"

Frank held up a certificate from Guitar Planet for $2,000.00. My two Green Day tickets that cost me $120.00 seemed like a joke compared to that.

My jaw dropped to the floor and my eyes must have been the size of dinner plates. Since when did Frank have rich friends? And why did Mikey and Gerard suddenly look extremely gleeful?

"Thank you guys!" In a blink of an eye Frank was hugging my brothers to my right. "I'm totally buying a Les Paul with this!"

I waited till Frank was tearing a wrapper of Ray's present - a collector's edition of all the Harry Potter books - till I placed my hands on my hips and turned to face my brothers.

"Well, this sure beats the pyjamas and that Martha Steward book you guys gave me for my birthday," I whispered accusingly.

Gerard slanted his eyes and my direction and tried to hide his grin. "You heard him, he's gonna buy a Les Paul. Mikey and I knew that this is what he'd do with the money. His old guitar is pretty beat up. Kill two bird with one stone, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow with confusion. "Huh?"

"Make Frank happy and buy a better equipment for the band," Mikey whispered instead of Gerard, leaning back to give me a proud smile.

"Oh," I smiled back. "How long did it take you guys to save up, anyway?"

"Well, I had to sell like fifty paintings and baby-sit Ostranga's plats for three weeks that time they went to Canada, before they moved."

"I sold those rare comic books Grandma gave me and got a summer job," Mikey added after Gerard.

"Wow... socks," Frank's voice cut through our conversation, and I turned my head to see Frank glaring at my 'boyfriend' who was standing by my side. "Thanks, Logan."

"There's something inside them," Logan grinned, completely ignoring Frank's hostile attitude.

Frank reached inside and pulled out three folded $20.00 bills.

Franks lips softened into a small smile, but the coldness in his eyes didn't evaporate. "Thanks, man."

"You're welcome," Logan said cheerfully and chose the moment to snake his arm around my waist to make Frank 'jealous'.

I almost rolled my eyes. Logan just wouldn't quit, would he?

Frank gave another one of his tight-lipped smiles and picked up my card.

"To, Frank, love, Lena," he read the front and a genuine smile started to slide on his face. I couldn't help but do the same.

He opened the card and began to silently read the content, his eyes going back and forth after every line. With every second his smile grew and was eventually replaced by a full-blown grin.

Knowing that it was something that I did that was making him so happy, made me feel like it was I who was going to be rolling in cash after today and not my best friend. I felt more than happy. A feeling that I couldn't quite describe.

Finally his eyes stopped on the last part and rose up to meet mine, the grin still in place. "Can I read this out aloud?"

I smiled and shrugged. "Sure."

His eyes traveled back to the card and he took a big breath of air. "Dear, Frank -"