You Give Love a Bad Name

The Closet

But I closed my mouth as soon as I realized who it was. "Way to scare me like that, Frank."

There was a chuckle somewhere straight ahead, followed by a tiny glowing flame that dimly lit up the small closet-like structure. Frank held up the lighter closer to his face, and I could see the shadows twirling across it in an eerie dance. "Sorry about that. I completely forgot about your little problem."

"My problem?" I asked, confusion lacing my voice.

"Yeah. Your problem of the dark and enclosed spaces."

Even though I knew he could not see me, I still managed to look offended. "I'll have you know that I happen to know a lot of people who don't particularly enjoy spending isolated time in gloomy places. Besides, I don't have a problem with the dark. I'm not Gerard, but I don't hide under my covers at night, either."

Just as I finished my defense, the lighter went out, coating the closet in complete darkness once again. I shivered, and it was not from the cold.

"Right." I didn't need to see Frank's face to know that he rolled his eyes. "Just like you weren't afraid that one time when the power went out at your house and I had to stay with you in your room."

There was a click, and the closet was illuminated in the pale, pink glow once again.

"Hey, I didn't ask you to," I protested, refusing to admit defeat. "You stayed out of your own free will. Besides, it was a lightning storm. That's different."

"No it's not."

"It is."

"Not," amusement creeped in Frank's voice, blending in with a dash of taunting. "Just admit it."

"I'm not admitting something that's not true."

"Fine. I guess there's no need for this light then -"

"NO!" The panic in my voice surprised even me. "You win; I am afraid of the dark. Now keep that finger on the lighter, please."

"Whatever you say, princess."

I scowled and stared straight ahead, arms crossed against my chest in annoyance.

When nobody said anything else, think silence began to coat the atmosphere like some kind of dense fog. It wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but there was a hint of anticipation floating about in the air.

I leaned on the cold door behind me, tilting my head back till it touched the smooth surface of the wood. The scenario of the Green Day concert flew around in my head like a swarm of angry bees, giving me a headache.

Sighing, I stole a glance at Frank, only to find him gazing at the small flame in his hands with concentration. He looked lost.

Something that happened next surprised me quite a bit. A warm feeling spread in the pit of my stomach as I watched the light bounce off his lip and nose rings, making two little rays of light. There was nothing more I wanted than go up to him, hug him, and tell him that everything was going to be okay.

I just wanted to protect him.

I guess he felt me watching him, because Frank looked up and our eyes connected. As I stared into his hazel pools, the warm feeling intensified, growing into burning, lava-like substance.

Finally I looked away.

Frank cleared his throat. "Lena, we need to talk."

I nodded, looking anywhere but him. "Yeah, we do."

There was another pause before he spoke again. "Want to sit down next to me?"

I shook my head.

"Please?"

My eyes traveled to his face once again, and I realized that he looked somewhat desperate. He was so clueless. The only reason I declined his offer was because I didn't know if I could control myself being so close to him. He might see my feelings for flow across my face. Feelings that I never wanted him to know about. Feelings that might end our friendship for good.

My heart started to beat faster as I realized that in that one week that I haven't seen him, I became attracted to Frank even more, if that was possible. Maybe it was because of how much I missed him, and maybe it was because of something else, but it happened.

I would have to be extremely careful around him from now on.

"Please Lena?" he whispered again.

Call me weak, but I caved in. Silently I walked over to him and sat down on a big, cardboard box with music supplies. My eyes traveled down to study my nails.

"You know, I've been thinking this whole week," he started softly, "but none of my musings actually make any sense."

"Tell me about it," I mumbled.

"For instance," he continued like I haven't said anything, "I've been thinking about our friendship. I can't my finger on it, but something has changed between us."

Alarmed, I looked up. "What?"

He stared at me. "Oh, come on! You must feel it too! I mean we fight like every week - that never happened before."

I tried to control my heart. How could it beat so fast and not jump out of my chest? "No, we always did! That's what you like about me, remember? My smart-ass mouth?"

He bit the inside of his lip. "Yes, but not like this. We have this tension that just keeps on growing, and it's confusing the shit out of me. I feel like you never talk to me anymore. I never know what you feel. And since you're my best friend, well, it's frustrating."

"I talk to you," I said softly.

"Not like you used to."

I calculated my next sentence. I wanted him to know how much he meant to me without letting in on my secret. "I hope you...I hope you know that you had, have, and always will have a big chunk of my heart, Frank. Nothing is going to change that. If I've been shutting you out lately, it's because I don't want you to worry."

Frank looked offended. "But I want to worry! Well, I mean, I don't, but that's what best friends are for! We're supposed to tell each other everything."

"Hey, it's not like I have a daily report from you either," I retorted. "When was the last time you came over to have heart-to-heart?"

"Um," he looked thoughtful.

"Exactly."

"Okay, fine," he crossed his arms and tilted his head to the left. "What do you want to know? Fire away - I'll tell you anything."

"Okay, why hadn't I seen you in school this week?" Sadly, that was the only thing that would come to my mind fast enough.

"I was sick with the flu, so I stayed home," he replied, somewhat surprised at my question. "Didn't Gerard or Mikey tell you? I had to go to the hospital and all."

My eyes doubled in size. "What the hell, Frank? Why didn't you call me?"

"Yeah, I'm fine now, thank you for asking," sarcasm dripped from his every word. "I didn't call you because I didn't want to get smacked across the face again. I figured you needed time to calm down, so I gave it to you."

"Oh, right." Another pause. "Did it hurt?"

"The truth?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Like a bitch."

I cringed, studying his cheek. "I'm sorry. I was just extremely upset, and -"

He held up a finger to stop me. "Hey, I get it - it's all good. I just have to be more careful around you when you're mad, that's all."

I just smiled and looked at him.

"So," Frank formed his next words with extreme care. "Friends?"

"Friends."

He leaned in to hug me, but stopped when the lighter went out. He clicked once, then twice, before finally throwing the small object to the ground. "Dammit! It's out of fuel."

"Don't you have like...matches or something?" I managed to get out, already shuddering from the dark.

"Matches? What is it? The Stone Age?"

"I'm serious, Frank."

"So am I."

"Are you smirking?"

"A little."

I huffed and snuggled in my jacket closing my eyes.

"Hey, Lena?"

I tried to think of the sun. Of someplace light. "Yeah?"

"My cheek still hurts."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, sincerely feeling bad.

"Want to kiss it and make it better?"

My eyes opened. "Are you serious?"

"Very."

I sighed and turned towards Frank. At least I hoped that's where he was - I couldn't see crap. "Fine. Which side?"

"You got me mostly on the right."

I started to lean in. "Okay, don't move."

"I won't."

I closed my eyes as I felt the warmth of his skin near my lips. Just when I barely planted the kiss on his cheek, the door flew open, illuminating everything in bright light and making me cringe.