You Give Love a Bad Name

The Store

After driving around for at least thirty minutes and going around different stores and supermarkets, I was beginning to lose my cool. Wherever I went, pumpkin pie was all out. How I was supposed to find a traditional, pumpkin pastry on the day of the occasion, I had no idea.

When I got to the last store on my list - a small, cozy, family-owned business - , I went straight to the small bakery section, searching for my edible target, and thinking that this store was probably all out, too.

"Hey, do you happen to have any pumpkin pie left?" I asked a middle-aged employee as soon as I found her in the Canned Goods aisle.

She shook her head and resumed stacking the row of multi-colored cans that were apparently on sale. According to the price tag they were, anyway. "Nope, sorry. Someone just bought the last two a couple of minutes ago."

I groaned silently and turned around to go back home, stewing in my bitter defeat.

"Yo! Way!"

I almost tripped at the stray cable next to the exit when I heard the familiar voice. Turning around, I flashed a huge smile. "Frank! Don't you look dashing today!"

He came closer towards me, a bunch of paper bags in both hands. "Oh, how I missed that sarcasm of yours. Almost made me cry at night."

I tilted my head to the side, my grin growing wider as I took in his appearance. He was wearing navy jeans and a soft-looking sweater of multiple orange hues, that was peeking out from under a heavy jacket. Although the whole 'wholesome boy' look seriously clashed with Frank's multiple tattoos and piercings, he still managed to look adorable. "I wasn't being sarcastic, Frank - I really do like how you look. It's...different."

"Oh," he looked uncomfortable for a moment, juggling his cargo. "Well, you look nice yourself. You usually don't wear dresses at this time of the year."

I shrugged, looking down at my emerald dress with festive pattern of falling leaves. "It's Grandma's favorite. She says it brings out my eyes."

Frank shook his hair out of his eyes with one swift jerk of his head, so his own hazel orbs were revealed. "It looks nice on you. I like it."

"Thanks."

Awkward silence.

"So," we both started at the same time, stopping with a nervous laugh as soon as we figured out what happened.

Frank nodded at me. "Go ahead."

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked lamely, almost slapping myself as I realized what I just said.

Good one, Lena. Real smooth. Next time you'll be asking him why the sky is blue, or why the grass is green.

Frank's laughter ran out through the store, making me cringe. No doubt today was the day he would finally realized what an idiot I truly was.

Instead of walking away from me like I thought he was going to, Frank gave me one of his signature smiles and a cheery response. "I'm shopping, Lena. That's what people usually do at stores, y'know?"

"I mean, what you're doing here at Thanksgiving?" I tried to save my ass from further embarrassment. "Big, family holiday. Togetherness. Food. Duh."

Frank didn't seem too convinced at my attempt, but he answered anyway. "We ran out of dessert. My uncle's family showed up at the last minute, so Mom miscalculated with the food. And how is your family reunion doing? Crazy as usual?"

"Oh no, more than usual. Although Gerard is still scaring the kids with that 'Look-I'm-A-Badass-Vampire' routine. He made Joey cry today, because of that. I swear, the older he gets, the more brain cells he kills. Gerard, not Joey," I added hastily, feeling my face grow warm. Why was I babbling?

"Like he had any to begin with," Frank replied with a smirk, shifting from foot to foot. "So, why aren't you at home, kicking Gerard's ass?"

"We ran out of pumpkin pie, and no matter where I go, where I look, they're all out," I replied with a bitter grimace. "And I just found out that some jackass bought the last two that they had here."

"Lena," Frank started to say something to me, raising one of his bags.

"It's like I'm cursed," I interrupted him, wallowing in my unfortunes. "Doomed to wonder these aisles until I find -"

"- this?" Frank opened up one of the bags with an amused smile, and I saw the top of the orange pie with the golden crust. "I'm the jackass."

"Oh." I blinked up at him, trying to ignore the laughter in his eyes. "That's not what I meant! I didn't know that - what are you doing?"

"Here, take it," Frank extended the paper pag with the pie further to me, his face lit up with that unique, heart-warming smile that only he could master. "You need it more than me."

"I'm not taking your pie, Frank!" I protested, taking a step back and shaking my head. "You got it first fair and square. You need it for your family!"

"Lena," Frank took a step towards me, still perusing me with that stupid pie. "Take it, okay? I have another one. Besides," the way he looked at me made me lose all will to argue, "what did you say about Thanksgiving? Family time, remember? And you are part of my family, so technically it is for my family."

I sighed in defeat. "I owe you one."

Frank smiled. "What are you doing tomorrow? We should chill. With all that holiday madness, I haven't seen much of you lately."

"Yeah, definitely," I agreed, becoming aware that it was probably time for me to head on back home. "I just need to go with my Mom and Grandma to the airport in the morning to drop off Uncle Todd and his family. So...how does one o'clock sound?"

"It sounds perfect. I'll pick you up then," Frank told me, fishing around in his jeans' pocket with his now-free hand as the sound of his ringtone pierced the air. He muted the phone as soon as he took it out, looking at the caller ID. "It's my mom. She's probably wondering what store I got lost in."

"Oh," I laughed at his little joke, realizing what he was going to say next with a sinking feeling in my stomach. I didn't want him to leave.

"Well," Frank put back his phone, and his eyes focused solely on mine again, "I should go. I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah," I nodded, mesmerized by his gaze.

"So," he took a step towards me, "bye."

"Bye."

He turned his head to leave, but changed his mind and turned back to me with a small smile. "Hey, Lena?"

I gulped. "Yeah?"

"Say 'bye' to Valerie for me, will ya?"

And with a kiss on my cheek, he was gone - leaving me alone in the store with my newly-acquired pumpkin pie.