You Give Love a Bad Name

The Project

"Everyone take a seat, or else I'm marking you tardy," he said briskly in a clear, strong, voice, making his way to the teacher's desk. You could clearly see that he was someone not to mess with.

Still fuming, I walked back to my desk, ignoring Mikey's glare and Jake's disappointed sigh.

Without realizing it, Mr. Lareeze just prevented what would have been one of the biggest arguments Frank and I would have ever had.

In all honesty, I was relieved that he came in when he did, or else someone would have gotten hurt. And it wouldn't have been me. That's saying something since I'm not the violent type. Far from it, actually. Besides, I was never the one to confront people in public, something that would have definitely happened if it wasn't for Lareeze walking in, because I was getting sick and tired of Frank's bullshit. The part that hurt me the most was that I didn't even know why he decided to end our friendship. He didn't even tell why to Gerard and Mikey, who were still his best friends.

"Now," Mr. Lareeze started to address the class, walking towards the front of the room, "you may have heard that I'm mean. You may have heard that I'm evil. And you might have also heard that I like to fail students," he stopped at the exact center, and turned to face us with a small sneer playing on his lips. "Trust me when I say that it's all true."

"Maniac," Mikey whispered besides me, his eyes widening by the second, causing me to bite down on my lip ring so I wouldn't laugh.

"If you don't work in my class, You. Will. Not. Pass. Are we clear?" He asked somewhat gleefully, clasping his hands together and surveying the silent rows of students, "This is an AP course, a place for advanced learning. Just like it says; Advanced Placement American Government."

I stared at Mr. Lareeze with my jaw open, already feeling like this class was going to drive me to suicide. The guy was psycho. For once I wished Ray wouldn't have been right, and that the graying haired man who stood in front of me, his glasses flashing madly, would actually be nice and kind and didn't talk about failing people on the first day of class.

Biology with mellow Mr. Hinton was starting to look like heaven now...

"I assign homework every class and over the holidays as well," he continued, starting to pace the room. "I except no late papers, and if I find at least one grammar mistake, I take off a letter grade..."

All of the sudden, I felt something poke my arm, interrupting my thoughts on sadistic teachers.

Slowly I shifted my gaze in the direction where the poke came from, to see Jake's hand stretched out on my desk with a note in it, his face and body facing forward so he wouldn't attract any unwanted attention from Lareeze.

I took the note and gingerly opened it, reading Jake's unruly handwriting.

I take it you and Frank didn't make up while I was in Cali, then?

I sighed and bit my lip, writing my response.

Nah, we did. That's how we greet each other.

I put the note in his waiting hand, watching him read it with a small smirk. He raised his eyebrows, and scribbled something back, extending his hand backwards again.

Ha ha ha. I hate it when you're being sarcastic...
Did he at least tell you why he blew up on you like that three months ago?


I read the note, looking up from time to time to make sure Lareeze was still droning on, as not to get caught.

No. My guess is as good as yours...

After finishing writing the sentence, I looked up to find that Mr. Lareeze was staring in my direction. My heart skipped a beat as I realized he was reading the poster behind me to the class.

Hey, dude, not to be a bitch or anything, but can we talk about this after class?
Lareeze was looking at me suspiciously just now...


I added hastily, putting the note in his hand one last time.

I watched as he read the note, a slight smile forming on his face. To my surprise, he started to write something back.

Okay. But we're talking right after the bell rings.
Got it?


I folded the note and put it in my pocket, frowning slightly as I realized that Lares must have given us some sort of instructions, seeing as the room suddenly was full of talking and the sound of chairs being moved around.

"Uh, Mikey, what exactly are we doing?" I asked my brother, as he rummaged in his backpack for something.

"We're doing a group project," he replied, taking out his binder and a pencil. "Of course you would have known that if you weren't passing notes to Jake," he added, turning to face me with a teasing grin.

"Four to a group," Lareeze informed the class, passing something that looked like a big stack of papers. "And I got your homework for today right here. Remember, I don't accept late papers."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me. Homework on the first day of school? What an asshole..." Frank groaned, turning to push his desk against Mikey's, Jake doing the same to mine.

Mike cleared his throat nervously, looking from me to Frank. "Okay, as much as I hate to say it, it needs to be done, so we can work on the project without any interruptions. I dunno about you guys, but I'm not planning to fail this class. Frank you need to stop being an asshole to my sister, and Lena you need to stop being a bitch to Frank. Want to add anything Jake?"

"Uh," Jake looked thoughtful for a moment, reading the directions that Lareeze passed out. "It says here that we're going to work on this thing for four days, so that's how long you guys have to act civil towards each other. capiche?" He looked up, trying to smile, but failing after noticing Frank's glare in my direction.

"Sure," I replied, crossing my arms and staring with equal hatred back at Frank.

"Yeah," he replied in monotone, his glare becoming more intense. If that was possible.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mikey and Jake exchange worried looks.