Circus of the Freaks

1/1

The man in black greets me at the beginning of the show. The man in black tips his top hat at me and beckons me to follow him through the circus tent. The man in black leads to the cages of the freaks and the misfits, he leads me through the mirrors of the fun-house, he leads me past the clowns as they reach to grab me.

The man in black closes his hand around my wrist and drags me away from the dangers of the journey. The man in black points to the women with the beards, the world's largest men, the smallest men and women that resemble mice, the freaks of nature, and the slightly less fortune of the circus. The man in black never bats an eye at any of the surroundings that don't hold a purpose.

The man in black takes me to the last room of the tent. The man in black opens the door and pushes me through; there's make-up, there's clothes, there's glitter, there's lace, there's pretty, and there's ugly. The man in black pulls a black suit from the clothes and throws to me, a top hat follows.

The man in black tells me of all the beauty that we passed to get to this room. The man in black says that of all the entertainers of the circus, they're all beautiful. The man in black pauses and I glance back at the door and I wonder if he's crazy; did he not see the freaks and grotesque? How were they beautiful?

The man in black leaves me to my thoughts and his expectations of my changing outfits. The man in black stands outside the door and waits; I quickly undress and slip on the black suit. My mind is still reeling over the faces of the people I saw.

Some faces were sad, some were happy, some were angry, and some were lost. The more of the faces I thought about them, the more they didn't seem that strange, the more they seemed just like the faces I saw every day outside of the circus, outside of this tent. The sad faces, the happy faces, the angry ones, and the lost ones, they all looked exactly like everyone else.

The black suit is buttoned up and I let my hair fall from the clip that held it up, I grab the matching top hat and place it upon my head. I look in the mirror and my face is darkened, my eyes are white, my skin is discolored, my mouth is crooked, my nose is pointier than before. If I thought anything about my reflection, it would be that I look hideous. I was a freak in a black suit.

The man in black opens the door and I look back, he smiles as if I don't look like a freak. I think my face displays happiness but I'm not sure. The man in black takes my hand and leads me back out to the front of the circus.

I'm scared of what everyone will think of me, but when I voice it, the man in black simply smiles at me and kisses my hand.

The man in black whispers, "This is your test, your chance, to see the world through a different set of eyes. To see the world as everyone else does, and feel what everyone subjects you to. You're beautiful, as are the others here, despite what your skin may say."

The man in black pulls me through the opening of the tent, and the show begins.