Status: One-shot

Sorted

1.

This world isn’t what it used to be.

At least that’s what I’ve seen from the pictures of the books I’ve read. Or heard. 2050. The year that changed everything. Literally. If you compared our lifestyle in the present to the early 20s, it makes it seem like stone age. But if you ask me, I would have wanted to have lived in that time period instead of this. Clothes look much comfortable, there was actually something called Nature (No holograms needed!) and pets (That weren’t biologically engineered).

We’re passing by the highway. Back in the day, my Mom said that trees (Real ones!) in our area was abundant in our area. Here, you can see the truth once it approaches midnight. The holograms fade out and you can see how dead the land is. Especially now that water is scarce and a bottle of it costs more than 20 dollars.

Everything is in hologram right now. At least what’s on the outside. Water, Grass, Flowers, Trees, old and historical landmarks that did not make it through the test of time. The world government (There’s one now.) devised this tunnel system that passes through each millimeter of earth that squeezes out every bit of water there is. Apparently, this civilization is down on its last few generations. Or so they say. The waters in the ocean is all just an act, and every now and then, someone who has lived through the past generations (They call themselves 90s kids, actually there were also reports of 70s and 80s.) go crazy and jump right in the ‘water’. They forgot that it’s all just computer imaging and fall right through thousands of feet below.

What lies down below, I don’t know. I haven’t placed the Geology chip inside my brain yet. I’ve only finished downloading the History into my brain last night. But I know it’s not good. And I know it’s a sad place.

My eyes widened as I saw the same old Benz that Tommy used. I creeped behind a few blocks as it parked in front of me. The car was old, and it was obvious it stood well with time. Three people came out. A woman. A child. They went inside first. Someone parked the car inside the garage and out came him.

I pushed the door immediately from my miniature hybrid not even bothering to lock it behind me. "Tommy!"

"It's illegal for you to be in our area." Tommy said without much care. I took a step back, feeling a difference between the both of us. It was strange, and I felt a strong prickle on my chest. The government had always pointed it out. How a fine line it was for the rich and the poor. You were sorted. It was how life is supposed to be. "I stated in case you haven't been listening nor studying." he stated, playing with the keys in his pocket though his gaze did not stray away from me. "Like you always do."

“I waited." I managed.

Nobody replied. It took awhile for me to reconsider everything. And as I looked to my front, it was an unusual brick house. Each house was different from the other, but somehow it was homey. There was no one else in sight, and I felt just a bit lonelier.

The poor and the rich are different. The poor lived barbarically like in the early 20th century while the rich had nearly achieved the perfect living. The poor had the emotions. The rich had the power. Everyone still bled blood, but whether you died or not was the difference.

"Stop." Tommy replied. "Just leave before I call the cops on you." he sighed as he walked to his front porch.

For awhile, I stood completely frozen only with the accompaniment of the lamp posts. Tommy was once rich. But just like any human who had the flaw of loving, I fell in love hard. It had always felt innocent no matter how I looked at it, and I knew that I couldn’t blame myself. He knew I was younger before, but to him, it didn’t matter. And when his parents betrayed the government, he went down with it. But I still loved him. Even as I moved, I believed only to come back with this.

I pushed back into my hybrid and deactivated all automatic systems. It felt different driving manually. After all, I don’t need GPS where I’m going.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)