Status: Complete.

Coffee Break

Martin.

It’s half past 11. Not a single customer was waiting for a drink. Fuck today is slow. I started making Zack’s three coffees, hoping that he was just running a little late. But even when I’d finished making the drinks, he wasn’t here. Zack hadn’t texted me to say that he had a day off. Maybe he’s just busy! Maybe…I could take his drinks to him?

That’s not too bad an idea, right?

“Bill, I’m going to take Zack his coffee. I think he’s running late. You don’t mind, do you?” I asked William.

Alex isn’t in today, but William will find something to do while I’m not there to talk to.

“Whatever fuels your love, Marty baby,” William chuckled.

I stuck my tongue out at him and untied my apron, throwing it into the back room before grabbing a cardboard carry holdall for the drinks. With a deep breath, I picked up the coffees and walked out of the shop. I can do this. I’m just delivering coffee. Zack’s Electronics Store is only 5 shops down, so it didn’t take me long to get there.

It also didn’t take me long to realise that, after stepping in the shop, Zack wasn’t there.

“Zack’s not here right now,”

I spun around, eyes widening when I saw Zack’s older brother Sam, with his arms folded over his chest. Shit.

“Uh, okay. Here’s your coffees,” I said nervously, putting the three drinks down on the side.

“I didn’t know Coffee Break did deliveries,” Sam said mockingly, cocking his head to the side.

I blushed slightly.

“W-We don’t, but Zack didn’t tell me that he had a day off and because we’re quiet slow at the moment I thought I’d bring the coffee order here,” I rambled.

“How sweet. Next time, don’t bother,” Sam said bluntly.

“Excuse me?” I squeaked.

“Zack’s had enough trouble with guys like you in the past. He doesn’t need someone like you hanging around him so just stay away if you know what’s good for you,” Sam said seriously.

“But…”

“Here’s $10 for the coffees. Don’t come around here again, okay?” Sam interrupted.

I felt my mouth go dry, desperate to defend myself, but I couldn’t. What if Zack had said these things to his brother behind my back? What if he didn’t actually want me around? I took the money silently and left, tears pricking my eyes. I’m such a fucking idiot. Such a fool.

I got back to the shop and immediately stormed out back. William followed.

“What’s wrong, Marty? What happened?” William asked worriedly.

“It’s nothing. Zack’s brother just…it’s nothing. I’m an idiot,” I mumbled.

“You’re not an idiot. What did he say?” William frowned.

“It doesn’t matter. Can I sit out here until I’ve calmed down?” I asked.

“Yeah, sure. If you need anything, yell,” William nodded.

I smiled weakly, so he left me alone. 20 minutes later, my phone rang. Zack. I tried to press cancel, I really did. But I can’t ignore him, no matter how hard I try.

“Hello?” I mumbled.

“Martin? Are you okay?” Zack immediately asked.

“Not really, no,” I sniffed.

“Fucking Sam. I only wasn’t there because I had to run to the wholesaler’s to get more developing fluid, and I literally just got back and saw the coffees were there and Sam looked pleased with himself. What did he say?” Zack demanded.

“It doesn’t matter,” I said softly.

“It matters to me,” Zack replied.

Maybe…maybe Sam was wrong. Maybe Zack does want me in his life.

“He just told me to stay away from you because you don’t need someone like me hanging around you because you’ve had trouble with ‘guys like me’ before,” I admitted quietly.

Zack was silent for a couple of seconds.

“He said that to you?” Zack askedd in a tone I couldn’t place.

“Mmhmm,” I nodded.

Zack stayed silent again. Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe I shouldn’t have told him.

“Don’t listen to a word he says, okay? I don’t want you to stay away,” Zack said seriously.

R-Really?

“You don’t?” I asked weakly.

“No. I want you to tell me those lame jokes every day when I get my coffee. I want to see you smile and blush when you try to talk to me. I want to see you squirm in embarrassment when I compliment your ass. I want you around, Martin. I wouldn’t bother talking to you if I didn’t,” Zack said honestly.

I felt my cheeks heating up, a big smile spreading across my lips

“You mean that?” I asked hopefully.

Zack laughed softly. “Yeah, I do. I might not be the easiest person to talk to, but I like talking to you, Martin. I’m sorry that Sam made you think otherwise, and I’m sorry that he made you upset,”

I sniffed away my tears, still smiling.

“It’s okay. I feel better now,” I admitted.

“Good. I’d better let you get back to work. I need to go punch my brother anyway. I’ll see you tomorrow?” Zack said warmly.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow,” I said happily.

I heard Zack laugh as he ended the call, but I couldn’t stop smiling. Sam was wrong. Zack does want me around. And as long as Zack says that himself, I’m not going anywhere. With a final sniff, I wiped my cheeks dry and pulled my apron back on, before heading out behind the counter.

“Wow, that didn’t take long,” William said, confused.

“Zack rang me,” I replied happily.

“Oh, well that explains it,” William snickered.

I stuck my tongue out at him, pulling the $10 bill Zack’s brother gave me out of my pocket and put it in the cash register. William can tease all he wants, but he’ll never understand how happy Zack can make me, even with a few words. No-one will ever understand. I’m just glad that Zack wants me in his life.

Everything can only go up from here, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, Zack's brother is a douche, right?
At least Zack could comfort Martin =]
Zack socialises with Martin outside of the coffee shop in the next update!

This will be the last update for a little while, a week or so, while I get myself sorted back home for winter break and while I start my work in London. I promise to update after work in the evenings, but I can't promise when!

This story is a third of the way through now! Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter - I really appreciate your feedback!

KshoOwh
emmarulez
pixie dusttt.
jojo13617
BOOM!roasted.
heyJAYhey
rebeccs13
Ace Lightning.
Hello Fascination.
JonnyCraig
Forever Young.
JessicStar
miss.sobriety
kew_atl

xo