Status: Complete.

Coffee Break

Martin.

Glorious, glorious July. Oh how I’ve missed your muggy heat and blaring sun. Not. Thank fuck it’s a Saturday. What do Saturdays mean? A day off work for me. Why? Because we have three students from the local high school who work Saturdays, meaning I don’t have to spend a day slaving over the coffee grinder!

Every Saturday I do the same thing. Wake up after midday, make myself a late lunch, and sit in front of the TV until I fall asleep. Not much of a lifestyle, but hey, I work in a coffee shop – I’m not exactly exciting. Kyle, John and Kennedy always try to get me to hang out with them, or William tries to get me to hang out with him, Gabe, Paul, Rian and Jack, but I prefer my solitude, thank you.

Fuck, my life does suck.

Maybe I should get a cat. That would be some company. That would get William off my back about being on my own. Hah! A cat it is! I’ll get onto that tomorrow. Maybe. Only one cat though. It’d be creepy if I got any more than that.

Oh well. Saturday is now a ritual that I don’t feel like breaking. I’ve washed up my lunch, I’ve turned on the TV and I’m watching the local Sports channel. What more do I need? What more could I possibly want?! Y’know, except Zack.

I broke out of my thoughts as my phone rang. Alex. What does he want? It’s a Saturday, we both have the day off – surely he’d be enjoying his free time. Oh well, I’d better answer.

Martin: Hey Lex. What’s up?
Alex: Um, hey. Can I come round for a bit?
Martin: Sure. What’s wrong?
Alex: Uh, everyone’s been evacuated from my apartment building.
Martin: Shit, why? Are you okay?
Alex: Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll explain when I get to yours?
Martin: Yeah, okay. I’ll see you soon.

Alex hung up the phone. I frowned, putting my phone back on the coffee table. He knows how to get to my apartment, he and William picked me up for work when my car broke down last week. I hope he’s alright. What if something bad has happened? He’s too much of an innocent kid to be hurt. I know what, I’ll put on the kettle. What? My mom always used to put on the kettle when something was wrong.

What else am I supposed to do?

It took half an hour for Alex to get to my apartment. What confused me was the fact he had 3 suitcases, a large duffel bag and a rucksack with him. What the hell? I let him in though, and Alex smiled gratefully.

“Uh, do you want a drink?” I asked, rubbing the back of my neck.

I don’t get a lot of visitors, other than William. Normally I just go to other people’s places. Why? Because my apartment may have two bedrooms and a kitchen and a living area, but it is fucking small.

“A cup of tea would be nice,” Alex nodded.

Told you putting the kettle on was a good idea. Once I’d made a cup for the both of us, I sat down next to him on the sofa. Alex took it silently, letting it warm his hands.

“So…what’s with the bags?” I asked casually.

“I, um, I should have explained. My building has roaches and no-one’s allowed back until they’re all gone. It should be about two weeks, the landlord said. I just need somewhere to stay for two weeks until I can get my shit sorted tomorrow,”

Roaches?! Shit! Where the fuck does he live?! Alex took my shock and silence as a bad thing though.

“I’m sorry, I know it’s a inconvenience. I should’ve asked first. I just…I didn’t know where else to go,” Alex murmured.

“Hey,” I said softly, putting my hand on his shoulder, “I’m glad you’re here rather than in a fucking homeless shelter or something. I’ve got a spare room that I don’t use. Actually, I use it as a second wardrobe, but I’ll move my shit out. It’s not a problem,”

“Are you sure?” Alex asked quietly.

“Dude, I may act like an asshole most of the time, but really I’m not,” I mused.

“I never thought that,” Alex blushed.

“Sure you didn’t,” I snorted.

Alex blushed a little further, making me laugh.

“So how did you end up in the only apartment block in Riverhead that has roaches?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I never told you why I came here, did I?” Alex asked.

I just shook my head. Maybe there is more to this than I thought. Alex sighed, taking a sip of his tea before smiling weakly at me.

“I finished college and came out to my parents. They’re strict Catholics and despised the thought of their only son being gay, so they kicked me out. I bought the first bus ticket I could and I ended up here. That apartment building was the only one I could afford, hence how shitty it was with the roaches. I’m just glad I got the job at the Coffee Break, or I dread to think where I would’ve ended up,”

Holy shit. My parents are dicks, but I never had it that bad.

“What about other family, your friends…couldn’t you have gone to them?” I asked softly.

“Not a chance. Gotta love homophobes, right?” Alex laughed bitterly.

“I’m so sorry. I would never have guessed,” I said sadly.

“It’s not something I’m proud of. Hell, I’ve never even had a boyfriend to prove that all of this isn’t just madness. And with the apartments now infested…just the cherry on top of the fucking cake,” Alex sighed.

“Stay here,” I blurted.

Woah, where the fuck did that come from?!

“W-What?” Alex choked.

Well, I can’t get out of it now.

“Stay here. In this apartment. I’ve got a spare room, like I said, and it would be nice for some company other than Bill dropping by after his sex rampages with Gabe. Besides, you can’t go back to that shitty apartment,” I said.

Alex laughed. “Are you sure? I mean, I don’t want to be an imposition,”

“Move your shit into the spare room before I change my mind,” I said firmly, hitting him with a cushion.

“Hey!” Alex gasped, putting the tea down before he spilt it.

I just smiled at him. Maybe this is a good thing, Alex moving in. William’s always saying how I need to be less of a social hermit. Maybe Alex moving in will make me less of a grump. Maybe his company will encourage me to go out more. Maybe it’ll help me talk to Zack. Hah, yeah, right.

“So are you going to help me move in or what?” Alex grinned, picking up two bags.

“Don’t push your luck, Gaskarth,” I chuckled, standing up too.

Yeah, maybe this will be a good thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Alex has moved into Martin's apartment...
Will he make Martin less of a grumpy recluse?
Or will Martin be too stubborn to change?
Zack and Alex meet in the next update...

94 subscribers? Amazing! I'd love to hear more of your feedback =] thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter!

KshoOwh
kissandsell;
Forever Young.
Hello Fascination. (he is a quiet tough guy, but has breakdowns occasionally due to his past)
JessicStar (firetrucking curious! Love that!)
emmarulez
pixie dusttt.
prettyxinxyourxpain (x2)
JonnyCraig
paintingflowers-
Ace Lightning.

xo