Status: Complete.

Coffee Break

Zack.

[Zack]

A week passed since the incident in Coffee Break. Words can’t describe the panic and fear that took over my body at those homophobic taunts. Too many bad memories washed over me, and all I can say is that I’m glad Martin was there. Sure, I probably didn’t help my months of restraint by hugging him for so long and then kissing his cheek, but I couldn’t help it, okay?

There’s just something about Martin that makes me want to come out of my shell and break down my barriers. My dad’s right, the past is the past. What hurts us can only make us stronger. Maybe Martin could be worth it, y’know? Maybe he could be worth letting in. Maybe.

After a two hour session in the gym and another half an hour hanging out at the front desk talking to Butcher, I headed out of the gym, freshly showered and in non-sweaty clothes. I have a day off today, and other than going home to work on developing some personal photos, I don’t have anything else to do. I checked the time. Half past 11. I already texted Martin last night to say I wouldn’t be coming in for my usual order because I have a day off…but I could still go in to get a coffee for myself, right?

That wouldn’t be too obvious, right?

The only reason I choose to go at half 11 every day normally is because the shop is generally quite quiet around then, so I know I won’t have to deal with a stupid amount of people around me. And I could talk to Martin again, which is always a bonus.

It’s decided. I’m going to Coffee Break to surprise Martin.

When I got there, I noticed that only William, Alex and a random girl were behind the counter. Where’s Martin?

“Morning Zack,” Alex said cheerfully.

“Morning,” I nodded.

“The usual?” William asked.

I shook my head. “Only one double shot Americano today,” I said.

“That’ll be $2 then,” William smiled.

I handed over a $5 bill.

“Martin’s on a cigarette break, so your coffee isn’t ready,” William commented, as he gave me my change.

“It’s okay, it’s my day off, he didn’t know I was coming in,” I shrugged.

“Still, he’s going to be pissed that you had to wait like everyone else does,” William smirked.

I just raised an eyebrow and moved down to the end of the counter. Right then, Martin came out of the ‘staff only’ door, tying his apron up. His eyes widened in shock when he saw me. What?

“Shit! I haven’t done your coffee order! I’m so sorry!” Martin rambled, rushing to the machine.

I couldn’t help but laugh softly at how flustered he was.

“Martin, it’s okay, it’s only my drink today – I have a day off work and dad’s brought stuff from home for him and Sam,” I mused.

Martin blushed heavily, smiling sheepishly at me, but nodded.

“Do you want to sit down? I’ll bring your coffee over?” Martin offered.

I thought about it. I never sit in here...but do I have anything better to do today? No. And what would it hurt to spend a little more time in Martin’s presence?

“Okay, sure,” I smiled.

Martin looked like he was going to pass out. I’m not entirely sure why. I only smiled. There aren’t many people in the shop for the lunch rush yet, so there were plenty of tables available. I took the closest one to the counter, putting my gym bag on the opposite seat. What? I, uh, don’t want Martin to have to walk far with my coffee. Yeah, that’s right.

“Oooh Martin!” William and Alex sang teasingly.

All the subtlety of a pair of bricks. I didn’t look at them, but rather took out my phone, pretending to scroll through it while I listened to them.

“Guys! Stop it! He’s right there!” Martin whined softly.

“Zack came in on his day off, Marty,” William grinned.

“Just to see you,” Alex added.

“So we can tease you all we want,” William finished.

“Please don’t embarrass me! I already embarrass myself in front of Zack enough as it is!” Martin hissed.

I fought not to frown. He doesn’t embarrass himself. His blushing and stuttering is endearing, not embarrassing. I wouldn’t have kissed his cheek last week otherwise. Surely he realised that?

“Zack wouldn’t have come in here on his day off if he didn’t want to see you,” William snickered.

“I don’t stand a chance with him, Bill. So don’t try to get my hopes up,” Martin said sadly.

I couldn’t hold back my frown this time. Sure, my…past doesn’t exactly make me jump at every cute guy I meet, but he does have a chance. I’ve just got to make him realise that. Y’know, as well as getting over my fears.

I didn’t realise Martin was walking over to me until he reached my side.

“Here’s your coffee. And a blueberry muffin,” Martin announced softly.

“Great, how much is it?” I asked, pulling out my wallet.

Martin shook his head, placing his hand on my shoulder to stop me. I didn’t let him know that his touch warmed my skin.

“It’s on the house,” Martin said shyly.

I smiled at how adorable he was.

“You don’t have to do that,” I replied.

“I want to,” Martin blushed.

I just nodded. I’m not going to make him feel any more awkward.

“Thank you,” I said warmly.

I patted his hand affectionately, because it was still resting on my shoulder, and Martin squeaked before scuttling back behind the counter.

“Did you see that?! He totally just touched my hand!” Martin squealed quietly.

Not quietly enough though. Seriously, all of these guys need to learn how to be a little less obvious.

“Mm, you totally don’t stand a chance with him at all,” William said sarcastically.

I smiled slightly, taking a sip of my coffee. Double shot americanos really can’t be beaten!

“Shut up,” Martin muttered.

I didn’t have to look at him to know he was blushing.

“Nice touch with the muffin too. Really romantic,” Alex teased.

Wow, they really don’t cut him much of a break when it comes to teasing about me, do they? And the muffin is pretty good actually, so they can suck it. I appreciate the gesture.

“Fuck, what if he thinks I’m coming on too strong?! Fuck, I’m such a fucking fuck-up!” Martin groaned.

I rolled my eyes, taking another sip of coffee. Swearing loads and panicking? He needs to calm down. I bet I could find a way to calm him down. No, mind out of the gutter, Zack.

“Dude, it’s a muffin, not a diamond ring. Chill out,” William snickered.

Nicely put.

“But but but…”

“I’d like a large French Vanilla Cappuccino, to take away,” a customer interrupted.

I grimaced. That’s a pussy drink.

“That’ll be $3,” William said politely.

“Fucking pussy drink,” Martin muttered, grabbing a cup.

I snorted, quickly covering it into a cough. Another thing we have in common. I learn something new every day.

*

Half an hour later, I’d finished my coffee and muffin, so I took the empty cup and plate to the counter. The entire time I sat there, Alex and William continued to tease Martin about his crush on me, so I decided to boost his confidence a bit. I can flirt with him, right? That won’t do too much harm, right? Fuck, it's been so long since I last flirted with someone. Hopefully I don't just look creepy.

“You didn’t have to bring those! I could’ve got them!” Martin said, surprised.

“I didn’t mind. No use overworking you for something I can do myself,” I said, smiling widely at him.

Another look of I’m-going-to-pass-out washed over Martin’s face. Wow, he must really like my smile.

“D-Did you like the muffin? We’re trying out a new recipe, extra sugar etc, and I didn’t know whether you would like it or not,” Martin rambled, William and Alex just snickering.

The corner of my lip curled into a smile. Show time.

“Yeah, I liked it. I’ll definitely buy one when I’m next in. It was really sweet, just like you,” I said smoothly, looking him right in the eyes.

Martin blushed deeply, William and Alex’s jaws just dropping. I swallowed heavily before leaning towards Martin’s ear.

“Maybe next time you should wear those jeans again too. They make your ass look great,” I murmured.

I stepped backwards with an innocent expression, Martin’s eyes wide and his blush even deeper than before. He looked like he was going to pass out again. I’m taking that as a good sign.

“See you later,” I said generally, before walking towards the door.

“He was so flirting with you!”
“Oh my gosh, what did Zack say?!”

I smiled a little wider and left the shop. A little flirting never hurt anyone, right? Especially when it helps Martin’s confidence. Especially when it means the teasing he gets actually pays off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Zack…flirted?!
asfdj;aslkdfjasa!!!!!
Sorry, keyboard mashing kinda took over ^_^
Martin meets Zack’s brother in the next chapter…

I’ve been working on the last 11,000 word one-shot for my mpreg universe, this time a Rian/Jack one, so please check it out and let me know what you think!

I’ve got one week of uni left before Christmas break now, and then I’m working in London for two weeks, so updates will be scarce. Just letting you know that I won’t be around much so updates will be scarce unless I get some pretty hefty encouragement. Hint hint. Hah that sounded desperate but whatever. I just wanted you guys to know the situation. Happy holidays!

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter!

pixie dusttt.
O.o?
emmarulez
jojo13617
KshoOwh
rebeccs13
Hello Fascination.
Ace Lightning.
Leaaaaaaaah.
JessicStar (ahaha fangirl all you want!)
JonnyCraig
Forever Young. (I like progress =])
crescendo.

xo