I Never Signed up for This

Preface

He looked at me from across the ballroom, smiling, his dark brown eyes an elegant contrast to the white mask that pitifully hid his features. His short, dark hair was messy, nearly the same shade as his black tuxedo. He walked steadily toward me with his hand outstretched in a welcoming gesture. I looked up at him, my pale eyes searching his dark ones. Some about him just seemed off…

I shrugged it off, curtsying in my respects before him, and politely took his hand as he guided me out to the dance floor. The way he looked at me was almost like a communication, and I found myself mesmerized as we waltzed. Everyone else seemed to have faded away; it was only him and myself as we danced to the music. His steps were sure and purposeful, making me feel clumsy and idiotic in comparison.

He’s not normal.

The voice was unfamiliar, and the warning sent a chill up my spine. I shivered, and he took that as a sign to pull me closer. He dipped me low, making my blonde hair gently brush against the polished floor. There was a light twirl as the song ended, and then we were still.

Our breaths mingled, and for a moment, it felt like the entire world froze. My eyes were on his, and the way that he was looking at me made a thought begin to circulate: Is he going to kiss me? The thought was startling and foreign. I licked my lips, suddenly self-conscious of them since they were noticeably dry. The simple movement caused his eyes to dart to my lips.

Then our lips connected. The air seemed to sizzle as the electricity that had drawn us finally erupted into flames.

But it was all shattered with a single gunshot.