Status: Finished!

Drain You

-one-

“Kurt… you’re scaring me,” Anna said to him quietly, her eyes wide in fear.

“I’m not Kurt,” he mumbled, his unblinking eyes still intently focused on the wall. He’d been sitting like this for at least five minutes, not moving a muscle and not blinking.

“W-what?” she asked, and seconds after she spoke, Kurt’s eyes closed and stayed that way for a few moments and then re-opened and focused on her. And as she sat there and watched, a wide smile spread across his face. A smile that took her terror to a whole new level. Normally she loved his smiles. But this wasn’t… his.

“I said, I’m not Kurt. Kurt’s not here right now, you can leave a message if you’d like, and I’ll be sure he gets it,” this alien-version of her long-time boyfriend said to her in a tone that almost sounded as if he were mocking her.

“I-if you’re fucking with me, Kurt, this isn’t funny,” Anna whispered, hoping that at any moment, the terrifying smile would slip off of his face and he’d start laughing hysterically at the prank he’d just pulled on her.

“I’m not Kurt!” he thundered, and she couldn't help but let out a small yelp of fear and move quickly away from him on the couch.

“Okay, you’re not Kurt… Who are you?” she asked, her sheer terror reflected in her voice. She’d never seen Kurt this way before. He could be a bit weird at times, and she knew that he sometimes wrote in his journals as “Kurdt Kobain”, but he had never taken it this far. He had never acted this weird.

“I’m Kurdt. K-u-r-d-t,” he said, spelling it out for her. “Ah, you’ve heard of me,” he said when her eyes widened yet again, and she backed away from him farther.

“W-where’s Kurt?” she asked, not really knowing how else to respond to him.

“He’s in here,” he said, tapping the right side of his head, “but-” At that moment, he stopped talking mid-sentence, and slid off the couch and onto the floor, seemingly unconscious.

“Kurty!” Anna yelled, hurrying to his side. Tears began rolling down her cheeks and plopping into Kurt’s hair. For a minute she thought he was dead. She was still so scared by what she’d just witnessed that her hand shook violently as she reached out, grabbing his wrist, and crying out in relief when she found a pulse beating slowly, but steadily there.

“Anna..?” he mumbled a few moments later, and she cried out in relief again when his glassy blue eyes slid open. “Anna,” he mumbled again, his eyes focusing on her. She could tell instantly that her Kurt was back.

“Kurty,” she whispered, sitting on the floor and cradling his head in her lap.

“What… what happened? My head… feels like it’s about to fucking explode,” Kurt mumbled, obviously disoriented.

“You… you fainted,” she decided to not tell him about her encounter with “Kurdt”. He seemed to not remember it, and she didn’t want to freak him out, even though it had terrified her. All that mattered right then was that her Kurt was back… for the moment.

~~~~~


“I swear I’m not fucking with you, Krist. He said that Kurt wasn’t there and that he was Kurdt, K-u-r-d-t,” Anna repeated for the third time to Kurt’s bandmate and best friend, Krist Novoselic. They were sitting in the small kitchen of the apartment that Kurt and Anna shared, both of them holding tightly onto large mugs of tea. Anna had called Krist as soon as Kurt had downed four aspirin for his headache and then fallen into a deep sleep in their bed.

“He’s written in his journals as “Kurdt” for years… I had no idea that he thought of it as an actual separate person,” Krist said, taking a big gulp of his tea.

“I know, but that’s the thing… this wasn’t Kurt pretending to be someone else. This was someone else. That smile… it just wasn’t him. And the way he yelled at me… he never, never even yells at me, let alone like that. I don’t know how to explain it. But it… it just wasn’t Kurt. You think I’m crazy, don’t you?” Anna asked, and Krist could visibly tell that she was still shaken up.

“No, I don’t. I believe you. You’re way too scared for anything but what you said to have happened. I just… I’m confused, I guess,” he said, and she nodded.

“I am too… and I’m sorry I called you in the middle of the night. I just… honestly, I didn’t really want to be alone with him,” she said, glancing at the clock on the wall. It read four thirty-seven in the morning.

“Oh, don’t even worry about it. I understand completely. I’ll stay as long as you want me to,” he said, and at that moment, Kurt walked into the kitchen. He was shirtless, and a pair of blue-striped pajama pants hung low on his bony hips. He had his mid-length blonde hair tied back with a rubber band, something he never did. Anna knew before he even said a word that they were looking at “Kurdt”, not “Kurt”, and with a glance at Krist, she saw that he was figuring out the same thing.

“You were talkin’ ‘bout me, weren’t you?” Kurdt asked, offering them the same terrifying wide smile that he’d been giving Anna earlier.

“N-n-no,” Anna stuttered, trying not to make eye-contact with this alien.

Krist, however, seemed to be less afraid and more angry. “Who the fuck are you?” he asked angrily, and Kurdt’s smile just widened.

“You know exactly who I am,” Kurdt replied simply, and this just seemed to anger Krist more.

“What are you?” he asked, and only then did Kurdt’s smile falter.

“What am I? Why, I’m exactly what pathetic little Kurty wishes he could be. He’s the one that created me, you know. I’ve been in here for years, just waiting for the chance to come out and play,” Kurdt said, and Krist got up from the table and walked over to him.

“Where’s Kurt?!” he demanded, towering over Kurt’s small frame.

“He’s… no. Stop it!” Kurdt yelled, pounding on the side of his head with his fist. “No! Damn it, no!” he yelled, repeatedly pounding on the side of his head.

“What the fuck?!” Anna yelled, pushing her fear deep down inside her and hurrying over to stand beside Kurdt. She put her hand on his arm and the second she touched him, he screamed a small, heart-breaking, painful-sounding scream. He shut his eyes and bowed his head, and when he raised it again, he was Kurt again.

“Anna? Krist? What the fuck is going on?” Kurt asked in a small, broken voice.

“You don’t know?” Krist asked, and Kurt shook his head slightly, his eyes wide with fear.

“I remember… I remember that I fainted. I woke up and Anna was here. I had a headache. She gave me aspirin and took me to bed. That’s it… I don’t remember waking up, and I sure as hell don’t remember how I got to the kitchen…” he trailed off, his voice quickly rising in panic. “What the fuck is wrong with me?” he asked, his wide blue eyes filling with tears. It was obvious that he was just as scared as Anna was.

“I don’t know, Kurty. But we’re going to find out,” Anna said, and Krist nodded in agreement.

“You guys have to help me,” Kurt whispered, raising his hand to his forehead and rubbing it gently.

“We’re going to try our damndest,” Krist replied, and this time it was Anna who nodded in agreement.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I very randomly got really inspired at about two in the morning last night, and this kind of just happened. I like a lot, I think it has a lot of potential.