Status: Finished!

Drain You

-two-

Even though they were determined to help, in all honesty, Anna and Krist really didn’t know what they could do. The next day, Kurt went out to lunch with some friends and Krist and Anna stayed in Kurt and Anna’s apartment, trying to figure out what to do. They invited Nirvana’s other member, Dave Grohl, over and filled him in on the situation. He seemed thoroughly freaked out by it. They all were.

“So you’re saying that he was literally a different person? But how is that even possible?” Dave asked, his eyes wide in mixture of wonder, confusion, and probably fear for his friend.

“No fucking clue,” Krist said, “but it wasn’t Kurt. I’m tellin’ you man. It just wasn’t,” he finished, and Anna shook her head, as if to make his point more clear.

“Okay, so he was Kurdt, K-u-r-d-t, and then he just randomly becomes himself again?” Dave asked, and Anna nodded.

“Yeah, both times. And the second time, it was almost as if normal Kurt was literally in there, fighting to get out,” Anna said, barely able to control how scared she was. She had a bad feeling about this whole situation. A really bad feeling.

“And then this morning, he was just okay? It didn’t happen again?” Dave asked, and Anna shook her head.

“No, this morning when he woke up, he was completely normal. Well, he’s a little shaken up about the fact that he blacked out twice last night and doesn’t remember a thing from it, but he’s fine,” she replied, and at that very moment, the phone began ringing from the living room.

“Shit, hold on,” Anna said, getting up from the kitchen table and hurrying into the living room.

“Hello?” she asked, picking the reciever up and putting it to her ear. For a few moments, she didn’t think anyone was there. Just as she was about to hang up, a low-pitched purr came from the other end of the line. She knew that sound. It was a sound that Kurt made every now and again, normally when he was drunk.

“Kurt?” she asked into the phone, and a second later she heard a loud, cackling laugh. It was Kurt’s laugh, but way over-exaggerated.

“Nope, guess again,” said Kurt’s voice and her breath caught in her throat.

“Kurdt,” she said, and he cackled again.

“Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!” he said loudly in the same mocking tone that he’d used when speaking to her the night before.

“Where are you, Kurdt?” Anna asked, trying her hardest not to sound terrified.

“Well, I’m not telling you. That would ruin the whole game! You have to come find us… me,” Kurdt said, and it was obvious in his voice that he was very amused by himself.

“Don’t I… I should get a hint,” Anna said, after thinking for a few moments.

“Okay, I suppose you’re right… your hint is…” he trailed off, and then seconds later, the line went dead.

“Fuck!” Anna yelled, throwing down the phone and hurrying back into the kitchen. She grabbed her car keys off of the counter and began hurrying to the door. Dave and Krist were right behind her.

“What’s going on?” Dave asked, as they began down the stairs, heading to the lobby of the apartment complex.

“That was Kurdt, K-u-r-d-t, and he said he’s playing some sort of game and that we need to come find him. I’m afraid that he’s going to make Kurt do something bad,” Anna said, going as quickly as she could down the stairs.

“Well, where do you think he is?” Krist asked, and Anna shrugged.

“Honestly? I have no fucking clue. But I’m gonna find him,” she said as they finally reached the bottom of the staircase.

“We’re coming,” Krist said, and Dave nodded. They stepped outside into the chilly Washington rain and hurried to Anna’s car. As soon as they were all in the car, she turned on the engine and began driving toward the diner where he was supposed to have been having lunch. Once they arrived, Krist volunteered to go in and look for him.

“Would you think I was stupid if I told you that I was scared?” Dave asked from the backseat and Anna twisted around to look at him.

“No, I wouldn’t. Not at all. I’m scared too,” she said, and he nodded.

“Well then, I’m pretty fuckin’ scared,” he said, chewing on one of his nails.

“So am I, Davey,” she responded, and a moment later, she spied Krist coming back out of the diner.

“He’s not in there. Waitress said he left about a half-hour ago,” Krist said as he got into the car, and Anna groaned in frustration.

“Fuck, okay,” she said, starting the engine and starting to drive again.

Next, she pulled into the parking lot of Kurt’s favorite night-club/bar. Again, Krist volunteered to go in, and again, he came out to report that no one inside had seen Kurt.

“Where now?” Anna asked, and Krist shrugged.

“We could try his mom’s… he might be-” Krist began, but was cut off by Dave yelling.

“Guys, look!” he yelled, and Anna and Krist both looked in the direction Dave was pointing.

“What the fuck?” Anna said, quickly opening her car door and running to the object of Dave’s interest. At first, she thought it to just be the dark green sweater that Kurt had left the apartment wearing that morning, but as she approached the object lying in a dark corner of the alley behind the club, she realized that it wasn’t just the sweater at all. In fact, it was Kurt lying unconscious. His small body looked more frail and worn than it normally did, and that terrified Anna. Seconds later, she heard Dave and Krist hurry up behind her.

Anna threw herself down onto the ground and put her hands on Kurt’s rain-soaked chest. “Kurt!” she yelled, and when he didn’t respond, Krist reached down and slapped Kurt’s cheek. Hard. Hard enough to cause him to stir.

“What the-” Kurt murmured, his eyes slowly sliding open. “What..?” he said louder, shooting up into an upright position. “Anna? Dave? Krist? What the fuck am I doing here?” he asked, and Anna decided that it was time he knew the truth. She figured that maybe if they told him exactly what was happening, he’d be able to figure out how keep Kurdt from taking control.

“We’ll explain it all to you. As soon as we get you home and out of those wet clothes,” she said, and she was sure that he’d put up a fight. But he didn’t. He just nodded and reached for her hand. With Krist’s help, they got him up and walked slowly back to Anna’s car. Krist and Dave got Kurt secured in the back, and once they were all in, Anna turned on the ignition and began driving back to the apartment.

~~~~~


An hour later, Kurt was showered, in warm dry clothes, holding a cup of hot chocolate, and waiting eagerly to find out exactly what had been going on.

“Okay…” Anna began, sitting down beside Kurt on the couch. Krist and Dave were both sitting in front of them on the floor.

Once they’d explained it all to him, Kurt just stared at them, his eyes wide.

“I never meant… I never meant for this… I didn’t know that writing as “Kurdt” would make a whole new personality… I didn’t,” he said, borderline frantically.

“Of course you didn’t, Kurt. No one’s blaming you,” Dave said, and Anna nodded, taking Kurt’s hand in hers.

“Why the fuck is this just starting now? I’ve been writing as “Kurdt” on and off for over five years now,” Kurt said, and no one had an answer for him. “Maybe… Maybe he knows. Maybe Kurdt knows! Maybe if we try to get him to come out, he can tell you guys why he’s here now,” Kurt said, and all three of them shook their heads.

“No, Kurt. We can’t risk that. We don’t know how to get you back when you’re him,” Anna said, and both Krist and Dave nodded.

“That’s not a good idea,” Krist said, and Kurt nodded.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Kurt said quietly, and a silence fell upon them, all of them wondering what to do next. A few minutes later, Kurt mumbled that he had to piss, got up from the couch and made his way to the bathroom.

As soon as the door was shut securely behind him, he walked over to the mirror above the sink and stared at his reflection. “Kurdt, you bastard, come out,” he said quietly and then again a little bit louder. “Kurdt, come on, I want you to come out,” he said, and all of a sudden, he felt like someone had punched him right in the face. He staggered backwards and raised his hands to cover his face. In the next second, the pain was gone, and he was standing up straight again. He removed his hands from his face to reveal that wide, sinister smile. Kurdt was back.