Immortal Hunters

Flashback

~I stood next to the road, letting the rain fall heavily on me.
“Raven?” Trent came up behind me.
“Hey babe.” I grinned, spinning around and kissing him softly on the lips.
“How are you?”
“Intimidated. I can hear the demons flying.”
This was true. I could hear their wings beating in the black sky above me.
“I’ll keep you safe.” He promised.
“Thank you. I love you, Trent.”
“I love you too, Raven. I’m so glad I met you.”
“Same here.”
We sat on the wet ground, just enjoying each other’s company. I laid in his arms, and he kissed my head softly. After about an hour, we stood.
“Look, Raven? I need to talk to you.”
“Yeah?”
He took a few steps away. I began to follow, but he held up a hand.
“Just stay where you are. Don’t make this harder.”
“Trent? Is there something going on?”
“You know I’m an Immortal Hunter, right?”
“Yeah…”
“It is my duty to kill all Shadow Dwellers on this Earth… Believe me, sometimes I don’t want to, but it’s for the safety of others.”
“What are you leading up to?”
He produced a gun from the back of his jeans. It had been slotted into his belt loops.
“Trent?” I suddenly felt quite scared.
What if he knew?
“You’re a werewolf. Don’t deny it, I’ve seen you. That’s why I have to do this. Believe me, I love you, and I don’t want to, but it’s for your own good. Please don’t move.”
“Trent?! I thought you said you’d protect me, not murder me!”
“Oh, but I am protecting you… From yourself.”
He aimed the gun at my chest, and tightened his finger on the trigger. It would have shot me too, had someone not swooped down and sent Trent flying. The bullet flew through my arm, and I quickly clenched my fingers around the wound, cemented to the spot, immobilised in fear. The man who had swooped took Trent’s gun and shot him in the head. A quick and easy death. Then he turned to me, watching me carefully.
“Please don’t be scared. I swear I won’t hurt you.” His voice was sweet and calming.
But after what I’d seen moments ago, I didn’t know whether to trust him or not. His eyes glowed red, his fangs glinted in the dim street lighting. The rain beaded on his black, glossy wings and ran to the tips of the feathers. His wet clothes were sticking to his finely muscled figure, and I hoped like hell that I wasn’t drooling. His hair was also flat, due to the rain that was currently soaking us.
“I… I don’t think I believe you.” I stuttered.
“Please, I’m not going to hurt you.”
“But… you just…”
He looked from side to side.
“Believe me, he wasn’t what you thought he was.”
I backed away slowly.
“Please, I won’t hurt you. And you’re bleeding.”
I looked down at my arm, and yeah, I had my fingers wrapped around the bullet wound on my bicep, and blood was seeping between them.
“I don’t know what to think.”
“Then don’t. Just come with me. I can help you.”
“You just killed someone, and you want me to go with you?!”
“He was going to kill me and you. Look, I know what you are too, and I want to help you. You can’t trust them.”~

My chest began to feel unbelievably heavy, and I began to cry. Trent was gone now. My first boyfriend, the only guy I had every truly loved, was dead. I honestly would rather have died at his hands than watch him die and have to live without him.
“Raven?” Shin watched me, his eyes flying in and out of focus.
They changed from gold to more of a yellow. Now he was scared. I tried to stop crying, but no matter what I did, my tears continued to flow.
“I saw it, Raven.”
What I hadn’t noticed was, in this sudden reverie, I had fixed my eyes into a blank stare on Shin. He would have seen and felt the entire thing. I just cried harder.
“Ssshhh, it’s okay. At least you’re alive.” He wriggled forward, then wrapped his long, skinny arms around me in a hug.
I buried my head in his shoulder, letting the tears run freely.
A few minutes passed before my tears slowed. Finally, I pulled away from Shin.
“I’m so sorry. Please forgive me. I shouldn’t even be here.” I groaned.
“No, I saw it, I felt it. I know how you feel.” His eyes had washed back to ice blue.
I took a couple of deep breaths.
“I think I’ll take a shower.”
“Mmm, just, be careful about how long you take. The others are gonna wake up soon, and when they do, it’ll be mad dash for the bathrooms.”
I giggled at the mental image, then left Shin’s room for the bathroom at our end of the hall. It had a white marble floor, a giant spa bath, a wall-length mirror above a counter with a sink, a toilet on the opposite wall to the door and a shower. Everything seemed to be glowing white, sparklingly clean and finely polished. How often do they clean this place?
I locked the door and removed my clothes, and the bandage. Finally, I stood under the shower head and let the water cascade over me. It was warm and comforting. I washed my hair and my body, then just let the water flow over me. I’m not actually sure how long I was enjoying the water for, but after a while, I heard a loud banging on my bathroom door.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoyy [: