Pretty in Pink

1/1

Love.

Love was a constant reminder to her that not everyone has a happy ending.

She had been walking around the park in a simple white shirt and jeans, guitar in hand until she sat down on the lush green grass and laid the guitar in front of her.

She hugged her legs and just stared at her jeans trying to avoid looking at the guitar.
And she tried to remember everything up to the very beginning of their relationship.
She had been kicked out by her parents one day and she started to just wander the streets like a stray cat. They wanted her to be a lawyer but she wanted to be a guidance counselor. It seemed like a very low job to her parents just because all she was going to do was to help kids. But she wanted that. She wanted to know the feeling of helping someone overcome their problems because she had never experienced that in her life.

Her suitcase was just an old vintage from the 1970’s but to her, it still looked brand new.
She wore a pink dress that she copied off in Pretty in Pink, pale pink flats with her curly brown hair resting on her shoulders.

Her name was Caroline. Just like in the song.

Caroline never once cried nor said a sincere ‘sorry’ to a person. She was like an onion, you had to peel off her layers one at the time with a knife.

She sighed as soon as it started to drizzle. It wasn’t that she didn’t like the rain, in fact, she loved rain. But it wasn’t the thing she needed at the moment.

But what the heck, she thought and dropped her suitcase and danced in the rain.

She suddenly remembered the song, Pretty in Pink all of the sudden.

“Caroline laughs and it’s raining all day, she loves to be one of the girls.
She lives in a place where in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight.”


She laughed and danced around until she bumped into someone. When she opened her eyes, she saw crystal clear blue eyes that mirrored hers. He was almost staring right through her soul.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he let go of her gently.

“Oh shoot. I’m so sorry for bumping into you!” She said and started to touch her wet brown hair and her wet pink dress.

“It’s nothing though. I’m Blane.” He smiled at her and then held his hand out for her to shake.

Caroline’s jaw dropped as she shook Blane’s hand, “Seriously? You’re named after a movie character? Or are you just shittin’ me?”

Caroline seemed to forget the fact that she was still shaking his hands but then remembered and let go of his hand.

Blane laughed so hard as he wrapped his arms around his stomach, the way she said it was epic. “I’m not named after a movie character and I’m not shittin’ on you or something.”

Caroline pouted and placed her hands on her hips. She asked, “What’s so funny?”

Blane smiled cheekily and rubbed the back of his neck.
“I’m sorry but I laugh at the weirdest things.”

“I am most definitely not weird. I prefer the word unique.”

“Says the girl who copied a dress from the 80’s.”

They stared at each other long and hard. It was a serious competition to see who was going to back down first. They had only met just now but they were acting the best of friends already.

“I still don’t know your name.” He said as an ice breaker.

Her mouth had formed an ‘O’ but she quickly recovered. With a sweet smile she said, “My name’s Caroline. Not Carol, not Car, not Coraline but Caroline.”

It was annoying how her heart ached and craved for him more and more each day.

A lot of people said that they were still young. They still didn’t know how the world worked. But even though they were young, they were ready to face it with each other.

Once or twice in their life, they had already been told that they weren’t going to make money or be successful in being a guidance counselor or a singer.

Someone or people in their life had tried to stop them from ‘ruining’ their lives but all they did was help them meet each other.

Nick was a high school dropout. He ran away from his foster parents when he was 15 and sang in bars, clubs, and in parks in his free time. He was a great singer and a gorgeous boy. Caroline always wondered how they progressed from being friends to lovers.

Talent scouts were recruiting him since before she even met him. A lot looked fraudulent but some looked genuinely real talent scouts. That was until; Donny Burke came to him and asked, “Would you like to be in our recording company as an artist?”

Caroline regretted the decision of saying it was a good thing but still, Caroline was happy for him.
It was spring of ’08 when Caroline was sitting on a swing after work when Nick was walking towards her with an envelope in hand and a sad look on his beautiful face.

“Nick!” She waved at him and smiled at him. But he didn’t smile back, only a little wave and a little smile.

He sighed at once when he stopped in front of her and ran his hand through his brown hair.
“I don’t know how to say this but Caroline, I’m leaving.”

Caroline abruptly stood up and shook his shoulders “What?! You’re dying without me?”

He chuckled weakly but hugged her as if this was his last day on Earth.

“I’m going to California.”

Her eyes widened and she felt dizzy for a second. Her mind was still trying to process those 4 words he said.

“That’s great.” She managed to choke out. She pulled herself away from him gently and smiled at him even though tears were running down her cheeks, “Have fun in California, Blane.”

Seconds, Minutes, Days, and Weeks passed by but he still hasn’t come back.
It’s been 3 years but it felt like forever to her. Blane left her a letter along with the guitar he was holding when he had first sung to her.

"Dear Caroline,
I know that I can’t really express what I am feeling inside in this letter. I thought this would be a great start for us but it wasn’t. I immediately regretted the decision of leaving you once I accepted the plane ticket. But I know life should not be full of regrets and I had already made my decision and it wasn’t the time to back out. You taught me to never back out at any chance I get, remember? I love you Caroline and you know that very well. You’re still pretty in pink as always.
From,
Blane"


It hurt her so much that he left while she was sleeping. It wasn’t fair but she knew that life and love wasn’t always fair. It didn’t give you your happy ending like in the movies.
But even if she had to wait for 5 or 10 years, she would just so he comes back into her arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really do hope this oneshot suited your taste. It's the longest one shot I've ever written.

Entered in this contest: we <3it picture contest!