Status: Active

Life Plans

Chapter three; The awkward phone call

"Cassie, phone!" I heard my mom shout from downstairs.
I rolled off my bed, put my phone back in my pocket and jogged downstairs.

'Who is it?' I mouthed to her, but she just shook her head and handed the land-line to me.

"Hello?" I spoke into the receiver. The response I got wasn’t exactly the kind I had expected.

"You. Bitch. Two weeks. Two whole weeks without any fucking idea where my best friend was. No phone call, no text, not even a Facebook message. Do you understand just how close I was to calling the cops?! Until my sister had the decency to tell me that you'd left. Then, after waiting for ages for you to even bother to log on so that I could talk to you calmly about it... nothing!"

"Kacey, I-" But she wasn't done with me yet.

"No, don't you dare 'Kacey, I'm sorry' me! I spent forever waiting for a way to talk to you, until your mother called my mom today, and so here we are. Do you even realise how selfish that choice was? I mean, fine, forget about the girl who’s been your best friend since you were two. How about Jaden? Did you even once think about how he was feeling? You reduced that boy to tears, all because you didn't feel that we were important enough to know that our best friend was gone."

She sounded like she was about to cry, and I honestly felt so bad at that moment. I hadn't really thought about how hard this must be for them. I mean, we've been gone for two weeks, and all they had to tell them we were gone was one, big, empty house.

"You don't even have anything to say for yourself, do you?" she said after a few moments of silence.

"Kacey, all I can honestly say-and I know you don't want to hear it- is sorry. I know it wasn't right of me to not tell you that I was going, and I am so sorry about that. I was getting around to it, I just didn't know how to say it. You're my best friend, and I love you more than anyone, and I know I must have put you through a lot the past two weeks. I don't blame you if you hate me, but I would honestly be the happiest person one the whole face of planet earth if you chose to forgive me?"

She didn't say anything for a while, and when she did speak, I decided that I was a lot happier when she was giving me the silent treatment.
"Yeah, well, I suppose you've go all your new British friends; you don't really need me, do you? I guess that's all I wanted to say to you really. Have a nice life."

And just like that, she was gone.

I had been lying on my bed for the past few hours... Or maybe it was minutes, I wasn't really sure. All I know was that I had got myself into a problem that was going to be really hard to fix.
I decided that, since there wasn't anything worth avoiding, I could go onto Facebook now.
I had 98 notifications, 76 inboxes and about 63 friend requests. I sighed, realising that it was going to take me a long time to sort through all of them.
Most of the notifications and inboxes were just people asking where I was, how much they missed me and how much they loved me. The ridiculous thing is I had spoken to these people probably a total of five times maximum.
When I reached the inboxes from Kacey and Jaden, I almost began to cry, which means a lot, coming from me.

My phone began to ring, and I saw that it was Dylan. It took some time for me to decide whether I wanted to answer it or not, but I felt it would be rude if I didn't.
"Hello?"

"Right, so here's the deduction that I made. You accepting my friend request must mean that you're on Facebook. You being on Facebook must mean you have no one to avoid. You having no one to avoid must mean you spoke to either Kacey or Jaden, and me being the absolute amazing friend that I am, must mean that I want to make sure you're alright. So, how did it go?"

I took a deep breath before I began to tell him everything that was said between the conversation with me and Kacey. Me and him had gotten quite close over the past few weeks, so I supposed if there was anyone I could talk to about this kind of thing, then it would be Dylan.

When I was done, he just let out a long breath.
"Oh woooow, looks like my little Cassie-bear has got herself in some deep shit." Then he began to think for a bit, before continuing, "Look, to be fair, I don't blame Kacey for being upset, but you've gotta keep trying to talk to her you know? Don't just let it end like that; you've known each other for way too long to end like that. And as for Jaden.... Well, you're just going to have to talk to him. After all the stuff you told me about him, the least you could do is talk to him for a bit. I imagine he's feeling just as bad. "

I had to agree with him on that point. It was the only way I was going to get any of this sorted.
We started to talk about a lot of other things, before Derrek came and reminded me that it was my turn to cook dinner.

"Alright Cass, I'll talk to you later. Love you."
"Love you too, retard."