Status: Completed!

Melodies and Memories

Nostalgia.

Rushing. Always rushing. It seemed evident to me that what had once been my life was now nothing but an insane blur of work schedules, midterm exams, and pointless errands. Meaningless casual relationships and conformity to societal norms. Where had my past gone? A few short years had slipped stealthily by and left me both empty-handed and unfulfilled. I had taken so much for granted.

The only reminder of a past that was nearly forgotten had been discarded in the corner of my bedroom, now serving no purpose except to collect dust. For a fleeting moment, just looking at that red and black electric guitar took me back to my lost childhood. Took me back to all of those memorable summer nights, sleepovers, simple pleasures, and an innocent naivety that made those things what they were. I’d give anything to live in that era for just one more day.

I stepped cautiously over to the neglected instrument and lifted it up. It felt strange in my hands, almost as if it too knew that I was breaking my newly formulated routine. I sat with it, staring off into space, unsure of where to begin. It isn’t easy to piece together the fragments of an old life, and even harder to pick up where you left off.

The cool, polished wood rested underneath my arm, shining brightly even in the dim lighting. After one last hesitation, my fingers moved from their resting place and fondled the grooved, silver strings. I strummed a single chord; then another, and another. An old part of me that had been long ago laid to rest and hidden behind the shadows of every day life came alive at that moment. A sweet, familiar, rebellious melody flowed through the air, through my veins, and into my heart. Even if only for a moment, I was myself again.

I was at peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
First drabble ever. True story for the most part, this happened to me the other night.