Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 3/ pt. 3: LUV! Games (2/2)

After a little less than an hour of eating and casual talk, the detective and I were on our way back to my place. The car ride was uneventful, parking in the apartment's garage was hassle-free and I soon found myself walking in a familiar path through the halls to my apartment on the top floor.
It was strange; the easy ordinary sense of peace that fell over me felt almost out of place, almost inappropriate. I felt somewhat well-rested; my mind was silent of annoying thoughts. I walked down the halls with ease, each step relaxed and soft.
And under my arm was a newly purchased copy of the latest LUV! Magazine.

A light sigh slipped through my lips and I looked over my shoulder.
“Detective Paek, you didn’t have to walk me to my apartment.” I said.

The detective blinked, not slowing in his step as he followed me into an elevator.
“Probably not, but I felt that I should.” he said, stuffing his hands into his jacket pocket in a casual manner. “Besides, there are a few things I wanted to address personally.”

A curious frown found its way on my face, but I let it go. The rest of the way we were silent, not having anything to say. It wasn’t long before we were on my floor anyway.
The elevator door opened smoothly and we both exited. I took a right down the hall, and stopped at the very last door on the corner. My hands rummaged through my pockets briefly for the keys, slid the key into the lock and opened the door.
“I’m back,” I called, just in case Mr. Park made it back before me. No one answered, telling me he hadn’t.
I kicked my shoes off and stepped into my home.
“Please, come in.” I said to the detective.
Detective Paek bowed his head politely before entering through the door.
“Excuse my intrusion.” he said.

As I passed through the living room couch, I dropped the magazine down onto the coffee table. I didn’t stop and went straight to the kitchen and deposited my keys and wallet on the counter.
“Make yourself comfortable; I’m sure Mr. Park will be back soon.” I told him.
Quickly, I ducked into my room to return my jacket into my closet before walking back to my living room. When I returned, Detective Paek was sitting on one of the couches.
“Uh, can I get you anything? Water? Maybe tea?” I offered.
Detective Paek smiled and shook his head.
“No thanks; thanks for asking anyways.” he thanked. “I just wanted to talk to you about more personal matters before I get back home.”
I nodded and sat myself down into the seat diagonally across from him.
“Personal,” I echoed. I started to stand up. “Mr. Park should be back any minute. I’ll call him to see---”

“Ah, actually, I wanted to talk to you.” Detective Paek said.

I blinked, settling back into the cushions.
“Me?” I said, unsure.
Detective Paek nodded, his expression serious.
“Okay.” I said, speaking slowly. “About what?”
Detective Paek straightened in his seat, leaning forward so his elbows were propped on his knees.
“It’s about the arrangement you will be meeting about tomorrow.” he said. “With your bodyguard.”
I stiffened a bit, recalling the reason behind the future arrangement.
“What about it?” I asked.
“How do you feel about it?” he suddenly asked.

I frowned, confused as to where he was coming from. Was this a therapy session?

“I---I don’t know, really. It hasn’t really sunk in.” I admitted.

There was a small pause of silence between us before I heard Detective Paek inhale.
“I guess that’s natural,” he said. “I’m just asking because I know a lot has gone on in the past few days, many things most people shouldn’t have to go through.”
I nodded, a weak grimace pulling at the corner of my lips. The detective continued.
“Don’t worry. We’ll catch this person soon enough. This bodyguard business is surely temporary.”
I nodded again, trying not to let my mind wander. But the picture of that girl kept on drifting to the surface of my mind…

“Detective Paek, the girl’s family…” I started.

Detective Paek looked up, and his expression dropped.
“Yes…they were notified this morning.” he said. “Actually, I was just coming back from their home when I stopped by here for lunch.”

“So you had to tell them?” I asked, mildly horrified at the idea. I couldn’t even imagine bringing such news to a family…

Detective Paek sighed, and slowly nodded.
“I thought it was better if I told them rather than Choi.” he said. “I’m sure I’m right.”

After hearing about Detective Choi and his daughter, and seeing Detective Paek’s expression now, I didn’t even want to think about the family’s loss, or their painful reaction to such news. And to think my stalker had something to do with it…was it my fault?

There was another moment of silent before the detective spoke again.
“Ah, about the bodyguard business…”
I looked up at him, expectantly waiting for him to finish.
“I actually did a bit of research on the people your agency President had contacted.”

“Yea?” I said, curiosity stirred. “I don’t know anything about them; but President Chung seems to trust them.”

Detective Paek nodded, his expression thoughtful.
“Yes, he does.” he murmured his eyes distant as he stared down at the glass coffee table in front of him.
Something seemed to bother him about this topic, and I felt myself growing more curious.

“Is there something wrong with the arrangement?” I asked.

The detective looked up at me briefly before his eye found the coffee table again.
“No, not exactly.” he said. “If anything, there is absolutely nothing wrong about the arrangement.”

I frowned, confused. Then what’s the problem?

Detective Paek continued, straightening a bit.
“I’ve been looking through the contacts my department has for protection detailing teams. But…I can’t seem to find anything on these people.”

“Anything.” I echoed. “What does that mean?”

“It’s like they don’t exist.” Detective Paek said, shaking his head. “I actually can't find any paperwork or solid evidence on them.”

What the hell? What was President Chung getting me into?
“This doesn’t make me comfortable.” I admitted, feeling rather uneasy.

Detective Paek sighed, and leaned back a bit in his seat.
“I know; I’m sorry for that.” he said, sounding sincere. “But, I did come across rumors.”

“Rumors?” I echoed. Nothing good came out of rumors, being in the entertainment industry has taught me that much. But I was really curious…
“What kind of rumors?”

“It’s more like information passed down the vine, off the records.” Detective Paek said, massaging the back of his neck. “But from the talk on the streets, the agency Mr. Chung has connections with deals in all sorts of matters. They seem to be some sort of polymath organization, you know, taking on all sorts of jobs.”
“Including protecting somebody.” I said, though I was more unsure than anything. But Detective Paek nodded.
“Yet they are especially good at leaving nothing behind. So we can’t even have a record on them.” he said. “I just wanted to tell you today to be careful. I’m sure that these people are going to be good at what they do, but if anything troubles you, your manager has my number.”
I nodded, my throat suddenly dry.
“Yea…thanks.” I said. My mind swirled with everything I was just told. “They’re sort of…intimidating, aren’t they?”
Detective Paek gave me a small smile.
“They sure are,” he agreed.

He then got up from the couch and straightened out his suit jacket.
“Well, I better get going. I left Choi in charge of the investigation while I let. He’ll scold me for being out for so long.” he said, his tone joking.
I let out a small smile and got up with him.
“Thanks for the lunch; it was good.” I told him. I followed the detective out of the living room as I walked him to the door.
“Thanks for the company.” he returned. “Oh, and listening to my talking.”

He slipped his feet into his shoes, tapped his toe on the ground twice to get it on and opened the door.
“I’ll be excusing myself now.” he said, bowing politely.
I returned the gesture as he stepped out of the door.
“Take care.” I said.
“You as well.” Detective Paek replied. “Be careful now.”

I nodded and let the door close as he started down the hall.

Image

The steam rolled thickly around me, taking on a soft glow in the bright bathroom light. The sound of the water coming down roared in my ear. It was somewhat soothing and relaxing, leaving no room for thoughts. I sighed, relishing the hot water as it hit my back in jet streams. It felt good; a perfect remedy to all this fatigue.
I tilted my head to my right side and then to my left, feeling the muscle in my neck stretch.

I couldn’t really tell how long I have been in the shower for now, and I didn’t want to get out.

After another few minutes, I let out a sigh and shut off the hot water. My mind was still numb from the relaxing heat as I stepped out of the shower and reached for the towel. A quick pass through my hair and across my body, and I wrapped the towel around my waist.
I felt as if I was on autopilot as I made my way out of the steamed up bathroom and into my bedroom, going straight to my closet. At random, I picked out some comfortable home clothes and pulled them on. As I finished pulling my shirt over my head, a shrill ringing of my cell phone broke through the silence of my apartment.
Maybe it was Mr. Park, calling to let me know he was on the way…

I hurried out of my closet and made my way to my bed, where my phone was left. I picked it up and flicked the phone open.
Yeoboseyo?” I said, answering the phone.

“Nice play, Jae-Sung.”

I froze, the smooth and calm voice flowing into my ear. I was caught off guard; this had been the last person I was expecting to hear from.

“Yun,” I said, my voice low. “What do you want?”

A sigh echoed from the other end of the line, and I could literally picture Yun toss her hair back over her shoulder as she held her cell phone to her ear.
“If you didn’t notice, I’m praising you.” my ex-girlfriend said in a casual tone. “I just read your interview with LUV! magazine; it was well played.”

“Hmm,” I let out, keeping my own tone apathetic. “I don’t really get what you mean. It was just an interview, nothing special.”

“Really, how funny.” Yun returned. “I thought it was the perfect counter to our break-up scandal. It’s exactly as I would’ve done it, if I was the one that was broken up with.”

My jaw clenched, irritation bubbling. I let out a short laugh.
“Well, I guess I should say thanks for calling me for just that.” I said.

I heard a small feminine chuckle from the other end.

“Jae-Sung, I really hope you're doing okay.”

“Okay?” I echoed. “Why wouldn't I be?”

“A week and a half ago, at my party...”

I felt myself stiffen, recalling the actual moment when she had broken up with me.

“...and I know you weren't expecting it. I could see it on your face.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep, quiet breath. Yun went on.
“It's just that...well, I felt that our relationship was not benefiting either one of us anymore. We were stuck, and I didn't want to be there anymore.”

“I understand.” I said automatically, almost sounding like a robot. “I can see what you're talking about.”

“I just want to know that there won't be any hard feeling between us.” Yun said. “I mean--- I'm moving forward with my life. And you should too; you shouldn't let something like me drag you down from work.”

Kang Yun was always good with these subtle battles. I had just forgotten how good she really was.
I couldn't deny it--- her words did have an edge against me.
“Of course.” I heard myself answer, after a moment's pause. “There won't be any hard feelings.”

I couldn't think of what else to say. I could picture Yun smiling into her phone in a silent victory.
“Great,” she said, and sighed. “That's a huge relief. You really had me worried.”

“Worried?” I said. Yea right.

“I know how sensitive you could be to personal things like this.” she said.

I fought the immature urge to snort.
“Oh.” I said. “Well, sorry for worrying you.”
I let out a sigh, tired and uncomfortable with this conversation.
“If that's it, I want to call it a night. You know, I have a big day tomorrow.” I said lamely. I paused, considering my next line.
“Good night, Yun.”

There was a slight pause that annoyingly sounded casual and relaxed.
“Goodnight, Jae-Sung.” Yun said. “Take care of yourself.”

Then the line was dead.
I stayed still for a moment, almost stunned at the phone conversation that just occurred. The bright screen glared up at me, displaying the length of the conversation mockingly.
I snapped my phone shut, my fingers curling tightly around it.

Kang Yun...she had twisted this game for her win. Her sincerity, her matured tone; they were just cleverly hidden words meant to get back at me. And to show off concern...she effectively played off of my interview, where I had played the sensitivity card.

I hissed in aggravation, tossing my phone onto my bed. Why was I still playing this game with her? We are done; I have much better things to worry about. More bothersome things...troubling things...

I glared at the phone on my bed, my mind churning angrily.
I am done playing these games. I was done battling like this. And I was done with Kang Yun.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the continuation that I actually wanted to add to the previous chapter...but really, the chapter was already long, and this would've made it like 12 pages. And I write small...

Anyways, just some ex drama for Jae...when I reread it, it seemed a bit rushed, but IDK...you tell me.

How do you like this story so far? I love writing these! Please, let me know how you like!! =D