Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 3/ pt. 4: Phone Call Blackmail (1/2)

Sleep didn’t come easy that night and neither did a peace of mind. The whole night through I was left to just sit there as I replayed the phone conversation over and over again in my head. Every minute wasted was…brutal.
So it was no surprise when I got out of bed, not in the brightest of moods.

My feet dragged sluggishly across the polished wood of my flooring as I made my way into the kitchen with my phone gripped tightly in my hand. I stopped in front of the fridge to grab a bottle of water before moving onto my living room. A quick look around told me Mr. Park hadn’t fallen asleep on the couch this time. Maybe he went home, or took the spare bedroom.
I placed the bottle on the glass coffee table in front of me and dropped into the couch, my body feeling like dead weight.
What did I do to deserve this?

The apartment was eerily quiet, which wasn’t all too surprising, seeing that it was still very early. But the fact that it was so still that I could almost hear my thoughts out loud; it was slightly disturbing…
A long, tired sigh broke the silence as I lifted the phone in my hand in front of my face.
The time read 5:27 AM.

I stared hard at the phone, my head completely blank. It’s like my brain had ran out of batteries from being left on replay all night. I had no more energy to even try to control my mind.
Why couldn’t I just let it go?
A low incoherent grumble left me and I dropped the phone onto the coffee table. I heard it bounce against the thick glass once.
I said I was done with that…person.

I squeezed my eyes shut, my forearm resting on my forehead.
I’m done…I’m done.

A wave of black seemed to sweep over me slowly and finally, I felt myself starting to drift away…

Image

The sound of shrill ringing and an alarming buzzing sounded right next to my ear, screaming for my attention. I could hear the phone moving along the table’s surface, the vibration sharper against the glass.
A groan escaped me as I sat myself up and glanced over to the coffee table. Who the hell was calling me?
The loud ringing continued, grating away at whatever little patience I had for today. I should just let it ring…

The phone rang twice more before I reached over and grabbed the phone. I flicked it open without looking at the caller ID.
“What,” I grouched, making it known I was not in a pleasant mood.
There was a small silence on the other end, but then I heard a small sigh.

“…Yah, Seo Jae-Sung! Is that how you answer a lady’s phone call?”

I blinked, surprised at the demanding voice that responded. This voice was familiar, but I couldn’t exactly place a name on it.
Yeoboseyo?” I said, waiting for the caller to speak again.
I heard the girl huff.
“That’s a little better.” she said in approval, though she still sounded miffed. “But really, who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?”
I frowned, my brows bunching together. This tone, and the way she was speaking…where did I know her?

“…Yah, are you still there?”

I heard the caller say, in her demanding tone. I had no idea who this person was.
“Are you…my stalker?” I replied, the words coming out slow.
There was a strange silence on the other end, as if she was shocked at what I had just said. But then she spoke.
“---Huh? Stalker?” she echoed. She scoffed. “In what delusional world do you live in? Get over yourself!”
My frown grew deeper, now even more confused.
“So you’re not my stalker?”
“Didn’t I just answer that?”
“Then who are you?”

A tired sigh echoed from the line, as if I was wearing down on her patience.
“It’s Woo Sun Hi!” she yelled.

I blinked, realization kicking in.
“Oh, Sun Hi,” I said. I sat up and shifted my position on the couch so I was more comfortable. “You sound younger on the phone. Like a little brat.”
I heard another scoff from her.
“Shut up,” she muttered. “Just to be clear, I wasn’t stalking you. Director Oh gave me your number.”
I hummed.
“Yea, I figured as much.” I said. “So, what did you call me for?”
“Ah, right.” she said, and there was a little bit of shuffling on the other end. “I thought you should know that you left your bag here the night you were last filming.”

Oh, that’s right. I was supposed to get it when I went back to return Han’s clothes. I had completely forgotten about that.

“Oh yea, that’s right.” I said, sounding lame.
“Yea, I need you to come get it somehow.” she continued.
I scratched my head, thinking back on what my schedule looked like.
“I’m going to be there tomorrow for filming.” I told her. “I’ll get it then.”
“I don’t think so.” Sun Hi returned. “You need to get it today.”
The frown made its way back on my face again.
“Why? What’s the rush?” I asked. “Just another day can’t hurt.”
“You can only say that because you don’t have a bag taking up valuable workspace for the past three days.” she grouched.
“How much space can my bag take?” I replied. “You make it sound like I left a truck.”
“Well, with the fact that the assistants found out it was your bag in my possession, it may as well be a hot-pink war tank.” Sun Hi said.
I sighed, rolling my eyes a bit.
“Well, either way, I don’t think I can get it today. You know, with a busy schedule and all.” I said vaguely. I didn’t tell her I was still on break.
But then I heard a low gasp.
“You liar! You king of lies!” Sun Hi suddenly exploded. “I know you’re not working at all today!”
“And how would you know that?” I demanded.
“Cuz I looked through your bag and found your schedule book.” she replied without hesitation.
I felt my jaw drop at her shameless response.
“You went through my bag?” I demanded incredulously. “Why would you do that?”
“Because I am a curious kid. Now are you getting your bag or not?” she said.
“No! And don’t go through my stuff!” I shouted.

Sun Hi didn’t reply, going still on the other end.
I was about to say something again when I heard more shuffling and a casual hum.

“Oh? What’s this, fan mail? Sounds interesting…” I heard her mused.

I felt my face twitch, feeling completely powerless.
Yah, Woo Sun Hi…don’t even think about going through my mail.” I warned.
But I heard the familiar scraping of paper and some more movement. Then I heard a choking sound.
“BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! What is this?!” Sun Hi chortled through the phone. “A marriage proposal? I mean, a…a…AHAHAHAHAHAH!!”
I felt heat rise to my face, unable to help feeling embarrassed about the mail.
Yah! Stop! That’s personal!” I demanded, kicking my legs off the couch.
The girl continued to laugh hysterically, almost sounding as if she wasn’t breathing.
‘Dear Jae, Why do you keep on stealing my heart? But you’re too cool for me to stay mad…Marry me?’ Aha, aww isn’t that sweet?” she cackled, mimicking a girly, whiny tone as she read the mail. “Oh, and PS—Lose the shirt; I like the view better. she says! Ah, is this a kiss mark on the envelope?!”
“Quit reading my mail!” I grouched. “This isn’t going to get me to go get my bag, you hear?”
“Oh yea?” Sun Hi shot back.
I heard more shuffling on the other end before she let out a dramatic gasp.
“What’s this---Seo Jae-Sung’s shirt? I wonder how much this would sell online…” she said thoughtfully.
I couldn’t speak; I just didn’t have the words to reply. I couldn’t believe this girl was doing this to me.
“Or maybe I’ll accidentally slip and drop your schedule sheet into the copy machine…and somehow in that chaotic moment accidentally scan and upload the document onto some Jae-Sung fan site.” she went on.
I got to my feet slowly, absolutely horrified at the possibilities.
“You…you wouldn’t.” I said, forcing my voice to harden.
“Oh, but accidents happen; I’m awfully careless. And the number to your private cell phone will be thrown in as a bonus.” she said. “Accidentally, of course.”

My teeth clenched tightly in frustration, my mind scrambled.
“Alright! Fine! I’ll go get the bag.” I gave in. “Where are you keeping it?”

“I actually have it right now. I couldn’t leave it in the costume closet; the assistants would get to it.” she said. “Meet me at this breakfast café on…oh wait, I don’t know the address. I’ll text it over to you. Meet me there at noon!”
Yah, leave my stuff alone!” I said. “Yeoboseyo?
I looked down at my phone and saw that she had hung up.
Aoish,” I muttered to myself. I glanced at the time on the screen, which read 8:49 AM.
I still had time to relax before I had to get ready.

I went back to my call log and found the girl’s number on the Incoming Calls list. Reluctantly, and grudged, I selected and saved it into my contacts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, sorry for the sucky chapter, and sorry it took so long. I'm actually sorta kinda ill. And it sucks; I've been sick for like 2 weeks now. X(

Please comment though; the next chapter will probably be the chapter we've all been waiting for...