Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 5/pt. 1: Why?

Ya,” I hissed, glaring hard.

The girl clicked her tongue against her teeth, returning my glare with a look of irritation.
“Nice to see you too.” she muttered through her teeth. She then glanced down at my hand on her arm and raised an eyebrow. “Ow?”
Her calmness only worked on my nerves even more.
“I thought I told you to not run around causing trouble,” I said lowly, throwing a glance around the lobby to see if anyone was staring. As I thought, a few were.
“Alright, first of all you said you didn’t want me running around causing trouble. You never gave a command.” K retorted. “And secondly, I didn’t run. I took the elevator.”

Smart-mouth. Really, who the hell does she think she is?
“Cut it with the attitude. This is my workplace and I don’t need to you do anything compromising.” I growled.

K scowled, her eyes hardening slightly. She seemed to be thinking of something.

Suddenly, she let out a soft laugh and turned her shoulders fully towards me. I was about to demand what was wrong with her when she placed her hand on my wrist of the hand that I had grabbed her arm with.
“You are ever the charmer, Jae-Sung,” she spoke clearly and smoothly.
I blinked at her, taken aback. I literally felt a small chill shoot through my body.
She gave me one strong gaze, giving me a silent order. Follow my lead.
“I’m glad you found me; that is rather urgent. But I think it is best we discussed it privately with President Chung in his office.” she continued. She shifted her hand on my wrist a slight bit, the motion seemingly effortless. A pinpointed pain drilled through my palm, and my fingertips pulsed with a panicked ache.
K smiled up at me dazzlingly, waiting for my response. Her eyes held my gaze, telling me to play along---wait a minute, why am I being awed like this?! Was she challenging me? Was she trying to get me out of people’s sight? Or both?
I glanced to my left, keeping my head as still as possible to look around. Sure enough, there were people gathering to watch the scene I had caused. The famous Seo Jae-Sung, pushing a woman around in the agency lobby would cause a riot.
I recovered quickly and threw her my signature smile.
“I’m surprised to see you here, K. It really has been too long.” I said, bringing out my casual and warm voice of familiarity. If this was a challenge, I wasn’t going to let this girl beat me in an act. I’m an actor; I do this for a living.
K blinked twice, and if I could guess, she seemed surprised that I followed up with that line. But she managed to keep her pretty smile on her face.
“Yes, far too long.” she agreed, thoughtfully. She chewed on her lower lip as if to be thinking, a look I was sure she used on men to trick them. “We really need to catch up. But first, the agenda. President Chung just got called over to the studios so he won’t be in his office. Shall we schedule a meeting for tomorrow?”

Oh no, you’re not getting away that easily.

I shrugged, keeping my posture nonchalant.
“Nah, that doesn’t matter,” I said dismissively. “I’ll just wait in his office for him.”
An idea came to me suddenly, and I just went for it without thinking. I twisted my hand in her death grip and returned the firm hold.
“Come with me. We can catch up during the wait.” I said.
K looked like she was about to reply when I turned around to the side, tucking her left arm in between my ribs and right arm.
“I insist.” I pressed, gazing straight into her eyes.

The girl raised an eyebrow at me, and she got that thoughtful look in her eyes again. She glanced down at her arm now tucked on my arm and back at my face. I kept a smile on my face, hoping to maybe look as if I was flirting from the people standing around us. And I kept my eye locked with hers as I waited for her next move.
What are you going to do next?
K gave me a small smile, pulling off the timid look perfectly. But not once did she drop her strong gaze.
“Because you insist.” she said. I felt her fingers curl around the bend of my arm. I watched as she glanced back at the front desk. “Tell Yumi we’re heading up and when President Chung comes by, let him know we’re waiting.” she said before looking back up at me.
I just smiled and started to lead her towards the elevators.
“So, where have you been?” I asked, keeping my pleasant act up.
“I’ve been around. Working.” K smoothly replied.
To that I raised an eyebrow, but I doubted that she saw.
The elevator door opened and a handful of people out. We stepped in just as the door was about to close. I reached over and pressed the top floor button and the button to close the door. I didn’t want to keep this act up all the way up to the top floor.
The door closed and suddenly, we were trapped in a space of tight silence.

We didn’t talk or try to break the stiffness that took over us. I felt the familiar feeling of anxiousness that had been plaguing me all morning settling back over my body. But this time, irritation was added into the mix.
I could feel the girl’s searching gaze on me, but I kept my eyes facing forward and my expression stiff. I was not in the least bit happy and I didn’t bother hiding it.
After a few moments, K let out an exaggerated sigh, and I felt her hand starting to slip from my arm. Instincts reacted before I could think and I grabbed her hand on my arm.
“What are you doing?” I demanded, my voice harder than I had intended.
K raised an eyebrow at me, and I could see that she was questioning my sudden reaction.
“I’m taking back my hand.” she returned flatly.
I didn’t like that stupid tone she was using, and it agitated me even more.
“Just don’t move.” I snapped.
I released the hand but after the way I reacted I couldn’t shrug off her hand. I actually wouldn’t have minded creating some distance between us, but with what I just said, I didn’t want to contradict my own words. I felt her eyes studying me again but she left it at that, keeping her hand obediently on my arm.

The ride to the top could not have been longer or uncomfortable. The moment the doors opened I was out, leaving my bodyguard behind me. I gave her a glancing glare but otherwise didn’t say anything. Without saying or looking anywhere else, I made a beeline for President Chung’s office. I knocked just to be sure before I entered the room.
The office proved to be empty, which suited me just fine. A little time to straighten some things through was what I wanted anyways.
I gently closed the office door behind me and went straight for the windows. I waited until I was far from the door and about three feet away from the glass panels before letting out the breath I was holding. At first I didn’t know what to think; my mind felt like it was fried from the overexposure to the anxiety and tension in the elevator. I hadn’t even realized that I was holding my breath until I just let it out. What was it about this…this girl that put me on edge like this?
Then my mind flashed back to the lobby, the scene that had just unfolded and immediately I started questioning everything. I recalled how she immediately picked up on the mood of her surroundings, and how quickly she moved to get out of it. She did do all that to avoid being in the spotlight of a scene, right? Was that for me, because I was a celebrity? It was literally a sudden switch, if it wasn’t for the way she spoke and directed the conversation, I would’ve missed it and could’ve continued on making a tabloid-worthy scene. From the way she spoke, the way she smiled it felt realistic, professional even…Was I awed by her?!
At that thought, I felt a somewhat significant sting to my pride. I’m an actor in the entertainment industry rising to stardom and higher popularity. I’ve been doing this for a while; by now I should know how to avoid slipping up like that. My record has been clean of scandals and I wanted to keep it that way…
A heavy sigh escaped me, and I shook my head to myself.
What was happening to me?

I rolled my shoulders a bit to relax my muscles and shove my hands into my pants pockets. Really, was I going to be able to do this for the next five days? The day has barely started and already I’m this aggravated. How is this even possible? I considered the conversation I was planning on having with President Chung and decided I should probably plan out what I should say. He was going to defend that I stay with the current arrangement of having K as my assigned bodyguard. But I still couldn’t see how she was going to be able to protect me. What was so great about this girl that made the President think she was perfect for the job? Besides her ability to be able to materialize weapons left and right and her uncanny ability of manipulating people, I haven’t really seen anything all that impressive. President Chung had said she was versatile and from the way he said it, he really did trust that this girl could do the job right. But I didn’t really see how---

“Well? What do you think, don’t you think she’s pretty?”

I scoffed, shaking my head to myself. Pretty? Not even close! I was dating that Kang Yun, the one on the posters and billboards, the bright dazzling smile, and said to be the most beautiful woman in the Korean entertainment community. She is the number one most popular model in the country right now and she’s still on the boom…
The great Kang Yun, who dumped me on her birthday.

Yah!” I yelled out, suddenly very irritated. Where was that stupid bodyguard?? “You! Get in here!”
I glared through the thick glass and out into the city, my eyes flickering from one building to another as if to dare any of them to have my ex’s beaming face plastered on it. What is wrong with me, praising my ex-girlfriend like that? I almost completely got lost in counting out all the golden aspects of her!
Kang Yun, just you wait. I won’t let you throw me around like you did during our relationship. No, I’m done!
“I’m done, it’s over with.” I muttered to myself. “Done, gone, over.”

I repeated the phrase quietly under my breath, over and over again, cleaning my thoughts of all the bad thoughts. Irritation and aggravation still gnawed at me and I shifted around on the spot. Seriously, how long did it take to walk into an office?
I clicked my teeth in annoyance and started to turn around.
“What the hell...” I muttered under my breath before inhaling deeply to start yelling. “yah!---”

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw K standing there just a few feet behind me, looking at me expectantly.
AH!” I yelled out.
K winced at my voice and scowled.
“What,” she demanded. “Why are you so surprised? You called me in here, didn’t you?”
I stared at the girl, pressing one hand down over my heart to keep it from jumping out of my ribs. The other hand had shot out in front of me in a defensive manner, ready to smack down anything that came at me.
“I—I didn’t hear you…when did you, and how…” I stammered shakily, my voice weak.
K stared me down evenly as she inhaled slowly and out. It was as if she was forcing herself to be patient; what the hell?
“I walked.” she replied flatly. “Now what did you want?”
I forced myself to regain control over my breathing and to recollect my composure.
“Nothing.” I muttered, brushing past her. “I just didn’t want you to cause the secretary any problems.”

I rounded the side of one of grey couches and turned to sit facing the windows. Just as I was about to drop down I saw K turn around. She looked calm, her expression composed naturally but for some reason I got the feeling that she was irritated.
I let out a long sigh, stretching my arms across the top of the seats.
“So, where did you run off to?” I asked her, keeping my voice calm and casual. “If there’s anything I need to apologize for my incompetent bodyguard, I think I should hear about it now.”
The girl’s face twitched a little, as if she was about to smile.
“I told you I was working.” she told me, and she glanced briefly out the window.
I scoffed, shaking my head.
“Yea, right. By disappearing.” I noted dryly. “You know, I don’t think you get what bodyguards do.”
“My job is to keep you safe.” she replied smoothly without hesitation. “From what I understand, this building’s security system is very sound. You’re as safe as you’re going to get.”
I gave her a look, and I shifted a little in my seat.
“And what would you know about this agency’s security?” I asked skeptically. Honestly, what would she know about the security?
“I know everything I need to know about this building’s security. I make it my business to know for every building I set foot in.” she told me in an all-knowing tone.
I snorted.
Arasso. That’s just great.” I returned sarcastically. “What is that, some sort of skill you’re proud of?”
K shrugged lightly, and she didn’t seem to care about my skepticism.
“There’s nothing to be proud of; it’s more so a force of habit.” she said.

I looked at her for another moment before I inhaled deeply and sighed. This girl is not normal in any way shape or form. I studied her as she crossed her arms and shifted in her spot. She almost looked like something unearthly in the way she stood; maybe it was her posture or her stance. Relaxed and casual, but alert and guarded; she had that unreadable look on her face… it kind of made me nervous without reason.
“Sit down.” I said.

K blinked once, before her eyes flickered back to me. I just nodded at the seat across from me on the other side of the coffee table.
“Just sit.” I said again. “It will be too distracting to have you just stand around like that.”
She didn’t say a thing as she turned and made her way around the side and sat down where I was motioning. Without making much noise she settled down on the couch, set her elbows on her knees and folded her fingers together.
And then, it was completely quiet. I wasn’t expecting her really to just do as I say so easily, not after what happened last night. That annoying tension was around me again, gnawing at my skin and making me uneasy. I found myself glancing cautiously at the girl sitting across from me, keeping an eye on her. She didn’t seem to notice, or care or maybe even both, because she just sat there gazing down at the coffee table in front of her. Her eyes were clouded in thought and her brows knitted together as if she was thinking about something.
I found myself wondering for the second time this morning: What was she thinking about?
I was still watching her when she suddenly broke the silence.
“I really was working earlier.” she said. She paused, lifting her eyes up to me and sending me an even gaze. “I met with President Chung to talk about what exactly I’m working with.”
Curiosity got me and I studied her, waiting for her to continue. I watched as she unzipped her jacket and pull out a folded orange document envelope from inner pockets I couldn’t see.
“Though it’s not much, he did give me this.” she told me.
I eyed the envelope she had produced curiously and suspiciously.
“What is it?” I asked.
“It’s a worker’s witness statement from the day the package was discovered among your fan mail.” she replied without hesitation. She placed the envelope on the coffee table so it was in between the two of us. “He was the one that opened it.”

I reacted as if a bucket of ice was dropped over me at the mention of the package. I just froze. She knew about the package.
.
“The package,” he echoed. He stayed quiet for a few moments, shifting slightly in his seat before he spoke again. “You know about the package.” It wasn’t that I was so surprised that she knew; it was the fact that she thought it was okay to dig through my life like it was nothing.
“And what was inside it, yes.” she replied.
Mixed feeling bubbled inside me, as if I didn’t know what I should be feeling right now. My eyes found the coffee table and I said nothing. What could I said? I was really too stunned.
“This doesn’t give me a lot, but it’s a good place to start. I plan on meeting up with the detectives on this case after this.” the girl continued.
I glanced back up at her and said the first thing that came to mind.
“Why?” I asked. My voice came out flat and empty.
K frowned at this question, as if she didn’t know what I was asking.
“Why,” she echoed questioningly.
“Why go meet the detectives? What do they have to do with your job?” I asked.
“I’m just doing my job.” she replied, almost immediately.

No. That was not right.
“No, your job is to keep me safe. What you’re doing is…”
I caught myself yelling and stopped half way. I forced myself to calm down and pull together some composure before I continued. “I want to know why you’re doing all of this.”
K didn’t reply, and just stared at me. I could see it in her eyes that she was searching, possibly for the right answer to give through my expressions or something. I scoffed.
“I can guess at the reason. Why even bother?” I muttered. “So you can dig up all the good details out, right?”
K continued to just stare at me, not saying a word. I still couldn’t really read her expression…why wasn’t she saying anything? My eyes fell on the orange envelope she had pulled out, and I felt aggravation bubbling in my chest. How was she allowed access to these things? Why did President Chung hand it to her?
Why?
I closed my eyes, inhaled as quietly as I could and held my breath.
Calm, Jae-Sung. You can’t let these things show through… I told myself.
I let my breath out and opened my eyes before turning my eyes back onto K.
Don’t let the opposing role manipulate. Take control of the scene.

“Go ahead.” I said, giving her a pleasant smile. “Dig all you want. I’ll let you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh...sorry for the delay; I was actually hurt. XD

Also to clarify...I guess some people think this is a fanfic. I'm sorry to say NO, Seo Jae-Sung is not a real celebrity, at least not to my knowledge. All the characters are from my imagination...
Maybe I should take this as a compliment...not too sure yet. XD

I'm in a bit of a hurry so let me know if I missed anything! Spelling, grammar...I did check but I feel like I still find some later...

Again, sorry for the delay and I hope you enjoy this sorta BLAH chapter!! =D