Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 5/pt. 3: Not Quite Right (1/2)

I sat up slowly, forcing myself to breathe evenly. My whole body seemed to ache, all because the air was knocked out of my lungs…twice.
“I’m going to kill her.” I muttered. “Just wait till I see her again…”
“Truly, I wouldn’t recommend that.” I heard President Chung say as he crouched beside me. “The only person that would end up dead would be you. Come on, tell me what happened.”
I groaned, lifting my left knee up to start pushing myself off the ground.
“I don’t know, she just went crazy out of nowhere and threw me on the ground.” I muttered, not looking at him.

“That’s not entirely true.”

I twisted me head around as far as my sore body would allow and saw the President’s secretary staring down at me with a frown. She had come around from the desk and was standing just a few feet back. President Chung raised an eyebrow at her.
“What do you mean by that, Yumi?” he asked her.
“K’s actions were not irrational or unreasonable. From what I saw Mr. Seo grabbed her first.” she said.
“Now wait a minute,” I said defensively. “I didn’t grab her to hurt her; I just reached out to stop her from walking away.”
The secretary ignored me and continued, her eyes turned to her boss only.
“He grabbed her first before she elbowed him. Also, I should note that he seemed very upset.”
“I wasn’t upset!” I grouched defensively.
President Chung and his secretary both gave me a look that said ‘oh really,’. I forced myself to breathe in and calm down.
“Okay, I was a bit mad but I wasn’t going to hurt her, I swear.” I said honestly.

Both President Chung and his secretary stared at me, scrutinizing me as I just sat there. They looked very suspicious and didn’t seem to believe what I was saying.
“Call Hyun-Ki,” the President ordered.
“Wait, why?” I shot out. I saw the secretary bowed her head and retreated behind her desk. She reached for the phone and started dialing.
Growling in frustration, I forced myself back to my feet.
“I’m fine! I did nothing wrong…” I stopped, realizing. “Ah, but that crazy murderous girl should be arrested. Good idea; call Mr. Park.”
“Jae-Sung, you’re not exactly in a position to be pointing fingers like that.” President Chung said sternly. “From the sound of it, K was acting out of self-defense.”
She was the one that threw me down to the ground!” I argued.
“If it was in self-defense, that doesn’t matter.” he replied, his tone hard. “Jae-Sung, you can’t grab women and yank them around. You know that without me telling you.”
I stopped, suddenly very stunned. Had I really yanked her around like that? The stunned feeling quickly shifted to a chill that shot through my whole body.
This is not me…

None of this was right; I was never violent. I never got aggressively angry or lost control. And I knew better. I am better than this.
So what the hell was going on with me?

“His line is busy.” I heard the secretary report.
“Fine.” President Chung said. “Jae-Sung, in my office.”

I breathed in quietly and turned, obediently heading back to his office. President Chung stepped aside to let me in through the door.
“Try Hyun-Ki again in a few minutes and let him know what happened.” he instructed to his secretary
I made my way across his huge office, going straight to the couches. My steps echoed dramatically, the sound bouncing off the high ceiling. Wordlessly I maneuvered around the side of the couch and plopped down the seat facing away from the windows. A heavy sigh escaped me as I pressed my face into my hands.

…what the hell was I doing?

I heard President Chung approach and stop somewhere in front of me.
“Jae-Sung, you haven’t been yourself.” I heard him say. “You are better than this.”
“I know,” I groaned, raising my head to look at him. “I’m just really…”
I stopped, not allowing the rest of that to come out. There were no excuses for any of this.
Jwesonghamnida, I don’t know what came over me.” I said, my voice coming out quietly. I dropped my head down and stared at my clasped hands. “I swear it’s all out and over though.”

President Chung didn’t say anything at first and seemed to just stand there. But then I heard him sigh.
“I know that this past week has been a trial for you. I really do understand that.” he said. “But the public…they won’t be as sympathetic or considerate.”
I glanced up to see the agency president sitting on the couch opposing mine.
“The fans and the tabloids---they don’t know your situation. They just watch you for the next biggest news.” he continued to say.
I sighed, a tired feeling settling in my stomach.
“Yea,” I said. “I know. I never lose control like that, ever.”
“I know you don’t. And it’s alright. You just have to be careful from now on.” President Chung said. “Especially with K; she doesn’t tolerate much of that forcefulness.”
I refrained from rolling my eyes at that.
“Yea…I think I got that.” I said dryly, feeling my abdomen ache.

Just then, there was a gentle knocking on the door of the office.
“Yes?” President Chung called over his shoulder.
The door opened and Yumi the secretary stepped in.
“President, Mr. Park is here.” she informed her boss.

I frowned, surprised. That was incredibly fast.

The secretary stepped aside and in rushed in was Mr. Park.
“Jae-Sung!” he spoke, frantic urgency in his tone.
When he saw me on the couch he seemed to relax a bit. But he still hurried over to where I was.
“Hyun-Ki,” President Chung said. “That was fast. Did you run here?”
“Yes…well, no I didn’t run but I did rush.” my manager said, slightly out of breath. He then turned to me. “You got punched and thrown on the ground?”
I sighed at his bewildered tone, already feeling like a little kid in trouble.

This one was going to be hard to explain.

Image


Mr. Park let out yet another sigh, the millionth one in the last ten minutes. I squirmed a bit, fighting to sit still.
Finally, he spoke.
“So you grabbed K by the arm? And then she punched you?” he asked.
I shrugged uncomfortably, not enjoying this. It wasn’t my proudest moment to say the least.
“Something like that.” I said.

Mr. Park let out a sigh again, pinching the bridge of his nose. I hate it when he gets like this.
President Chung was standing by the couch behind Mr. Park, listening in on how my manager was taking the news.
“We did discuss about this before you arrived.” he told him.
I nodded.
“We did. And I know I need to be careful from now on. I’m under control now and I’m completely over it.” I said.
Mr. Park grumbled unhappily, still looking upset.
“That’s all fine and set but I think there’s more to discuss.” he said.
I frowned, not liking the sound of that.
“What more is there?” I asked.
“Like about what happened between you and K that made you so upset to begin with.” he pressed. “It had to be something that started…this.”

Sometimes I hate that this man knows me like the back of his hand.

When I didn’t reply, Mr. Park continued.
“Regardless, I still want you to apologize to K.” he said.
He must’ve seen the incredulous look on my face because he made that face again.
“What?” he said. “Don’t you think you’re partly at fault here?”
I winced, avoiding his eye contact. I wanted to say ‘no’ confidently, but something nagged and pulled at the back of my mind, preventing me from speaking it out loud.
Mr. Park sighed again and got up from his seat.
“I have a phone call to make.” he said.
I saw him pull out his cell phone as he walked over to the windows. President Chung came around and sat down where Mr. Park had been sitting.
“He’s right, you know.” he told me. “Whatever it is that upset you, tell me what it is so I can make sure it doesn’t happen again in the future.”

I blinked, thinking it over.
Technically he was the one that hired that bodyguard; ultimately he was in charge. That should mean that if K won’t listen to me, she will have to obey his orders.

“Earlier you had said you didn’t want K digging through your business. Is that what it’s all about?” he questioned.
I hesitated before nodding.
“She went off to go meet one of the detectives working my case.” I said.
President Chung gazed at me, his face telling me this wasn’t news.
“I know,” he said. “Do you think she’s out of line?”
I was about to give him my side of the argument but I hesitated. The way he asked me this made it seem he thought otherwise.
“You don’t think she is?” I questioned right back.
President Chung smiled tightly and leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees. He seemed to be careful with the words as he took time before he said anything.
“I think you should let K do what she thinks is best.” he finally said. “She knows what she’s doing. With all she’s doing already on this job, she had a plan and doing her best to maximize your safety and security.”
“How do you know exactly what she’s up to?” I asked, almost challengingly.
“Because she found me in my office earlier this morning and discussed her plans in detail.” he said.
I frowned, somewhat surprised at this piece of information. I didn’t think she would be so forthcoming with information especially when I can’t get her to tell me much of anything.

“I’m not telling you to just trust her in an instant. Things like that will take time, I’m sure.” President Chung was saying. “But hear this; if you don not at least make an effort to cooperate with her, you’re only making the situation that much more difficult. For K and for you.”

I inhaled quietly and breathed out slow, my mind settling reluctantly with resignation. What the man was saying made sense; I should not have to be told this.

“I understand,” I murmured. “Make an effort…and cooperate.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm...

I didn't know what to call this chapter, so I just came up with something random that kind of connects to this chapter.
Sorry for the delay; I've been trying to balance my school/homework/skating/cross-country/sleep/other stuff and everything so I've been behind...I am trying my best though. I didn't seem to lose any subbers this time around though so for all of you...thank you for sticking around.

I am going to sleep now, since it's like 1 in the morning here...yay. XD

Enjoy and let me know what you think!! PLEASE DON'T BE A SILENT READER!!