Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 1/pt 3: You've Got Mail

The busy city seemed to just roll by in a blur as we drove through. Scattered groups of people maneuvered down the sidewalks, heading off to another day in their offices. Even though it was still fairly early in the morning, there were already plenty of cars out on the streets. Starting the day even before the sun was all the way up---how brutal.

I sighed, gazing out the heavy-tint window. I was never really a morning person…

“Are you okay, Jae-Sung?”
I glanced over at Manager Park, who was driving.
“I’m okay.” I replied, turning my attention back to the passing scene outside the passenger window.

Silence fell between us again, leaving the low, barely audible humming of the car’s engine. Its gentle buzzing was soft, soothing…relaxing…and sleepy---
I sighed out again, trying to shake the sleepiness from my system. If I didn’t really wake up now, I will be drowsy for the rest of the day.
“Why didn’t you let me drive?” I complained, feeling irritated.
“I thought you might want to relax in the car, seeing that we have a long day today.” Manager replied. “I’ll be doing the driving for today; you just relax while you still can.”
I grumbled in response, unable to say anything mean to him. I shifted away and crossed my arms across my chest, getting comfortable in the seat.

We were on our way to offices of Starkiss Entertainment, the talent agency I represented. I don’t know what business we had there; supposedly the president of the agency wanted to talk to me about something. I wonder, what does he want?
To tell the truth, I wasn’t looking forward to the meeting. President is…well, difficult I guess. Dealing with him was like walking on eggshells. A powerful man like that, he isn’t an enemy you want to make in this industry, regardless of what agency you represented.
“Mister Park, what does the President want?” I asked.
I heard my manager hum in consideration.
“I really don’t know, Jae.” he admitted. “I’m sure it’s not anything too serious. Don’t worry.”
“I’m not worried.” I argued. “It’s just…he make me…tired.”
Manager Park laughed.
“Ah, yea, the man can be something.” he agreed.

We turned into the back of the building, where the employers and workers parking lot entrance was. Manager Park drove right in, swiped his ID at the gate before entering into the dark parking lot. It wasn’t long before he parked into his designated spot reserved right by the entrance to the building.
“We’re here.” he announced cheerfully.
“Great.” I grumbled, unclipped the seatbelt and climbing out of the car.

My legs felt dull as I straightened to a stand. I let out a groan, stretching my arms and my achy back.
“Mister Park,” I groaned out as I stretched. “I don’t want to go.”
“Not my choice or idea.” he replied. He actually sounded apologetic. “Sorry.”
He shut the door and started for the entrance of the agency. I couldn’t help but grouchily stare after him.
“Huh…Gamsamnida.” I muttered and slammed the car door.

Image


The elevator door silently slid open and suddenly the space was filled with the sound of busy foot traffic and some chatter. Starkiss Entertainment was already busy as people filed in and out through the main lobby. Manager Park stepped out of the elevator first, and I automatically followed him. I hadn’t taken three steps before the shift occurred.

I could practically feel eyes turning and locking on to me, like I was the gaze magnet. I didn’t slow my step and I followed right behind my manager. Everybody seemed to just step out of our way, and stood by the side to watch as I went my way. As I passed, I could hear some excited whispering, and some giggles from the ladies.
“Ah! Look! It’s Jae-Sung!”
“Whoa, it’s really him…in person!”
“He is soooo cool…”

I glanced to my left where I was passing another girl, who had her arms full with notebooks and files. The moment our eyes met, she nearly dropped everything to the floor. With just one glance!

“Let’s hurry,” Mister Park said over his shoulder.

We crossed the wide lobby quickly and entered into the second elevator without any major scenes. Eyes were still on me as the door slid shut.
Sometimes I wished the elevator from the parking garage would just go right up to the top floor but man, that was fun.

The elevator smoothly traveled up to Floor 5 and the door slid open.
“Okay Jae. I’m just going to get some of the event schedules organized while you go meet with the president.” he said. “Good luck.”
“Wait, hold on; you’re not coming with me?” I demanded.
“I have to go.” I heard my manager say. I saw his apologetic smile as the door to the elevator closed once again.
“I can’t believe this,” I muttered to myself, as I pressed the button for Floor 11.

The rest of the way up was much shorter than I would’ve liked. A high ding rang and the door slid open to the top floor of the agency. With one last sigh, I stepped out of the elevator.

Floor 11 was rather quiet compared to the other floors, most of which were all busy office floors. No surprise there though; only the president, his attendants and assistants were the ones here regularly.
I headed straight over to the front desk, where a polished looking young secretary sat, scribbling something into the desktop calendar. I knocked on the surface of the front desk to get her attention.
“Mister Seo,” she said, in a calm way that made her sound like a robot. “President has been expecting you.”
She motioned towards the door that led to his grand office. I just nodded and walked past her.

As I approached, I reached forward to knock---

“Come in, Jae-Sung.” I heard a voice from the other side.

That’s not freaky or anything.
Wordlessly I opened the door and entered the room.
“Close the door behind you.” I heard the president say.
I obediently closed the door behind me before turning around.
“President,” I said, keeping my tone light and pleasant. “Good morning.”

The man behind the desk looked up from his computer screen and smiled up at me. I smoothly bowed my head slightly, an excuse to avoid the awkward eye contact. Instead I stared at the flashy gold nameplate on the edge of his desk that read President Chung Hyun-Woo.
“Ah, Jae-Sung. I’m glad you made it.” The president said happily.

What, this wasn’t mandatory? Did you not send an order for me?

“Of course, anything for the president.” I said smoothly, plastering a smile on my face.
I don’t know why, but the president laughed. He got up from his chair and came around to stand in front of me.
“Jae-Sung, my boy,” he sighed out, clapping his hands onto my upper arms and holding me there. No! I’m caught! “I think of you very much…like a son of my own.”

…Oh here it comes.

I laughed uneasily, my eyes helplessly wandering around the wide office.
“Ah, president…” I say, picking my words carefully. “I…am flattered you see this way.”
“And as I see you like this, I feel I should say a few things.” he continued on, completely ignoring my last comment.
With that, he smiled even wider, and gave my shoulders a few sound shakes. Was I being complimented, or disciplined?Or maybe I was being threatened…
I smiled to, unsure of what else to do.
“President, what is the urgent business---”
Shhh.” he shushed me, cutting me off completely and sternly. But then he picked up from where he left off.
“It’s important for you to hear this coming from me, being the father figure.”

He just self-proclaimed to be my father figure…I can’t keep up with him. But I decided to play along and let him get it all out. So, I stood there and played the role of the obedient son to the Starkiss Entertainment agency president.
President continued.

“Jae-Sung…son…I am proud of you.” he said.

I blinked at him, confused and bewildered. Was that it? He took all that time, called me up here, just to tell me he was proud?
Don’t tell me---is this what I came up here for?!
Before I can open my mouth, he was going off again.
“You did it, Jae-Sung! An all-time record! Last night’s promotion helped push us to the lead spot in the popularity stats. You made us millions, Jae-Sung!”

It was weird how he kept on saying my name…just weird.
“I…don’t deserve such kind words.” I forced myself to say.

President Chung beamed at me for a few more seconds before letting me go.
“Come with me, I have something to show you.”

With that he started off to the door, marching off in proud strides. I got myself together before following him out of his office.
The young secretary saw us leave and stood up from her seat.
“President Chung.” she spoke calmly, bowing her head in respect as he walked by her.
“I’ll be back in a few.” he just said.
He walked to the elevator and pressed the button to go down. I came to a stop and stood behind him, wondering what he was planning.
The elevator let out a ding! before smoothly sliding open. He stepped in and pressed the key to whatever floor he was taking me. I stepped in after him without another word.

As the silence stood, my mind was filled with thoughts. What was it that he wanted to show me? I had seen all the news, and the pictures, and the fan comments. I even saw articles noting that I came to the event alone, and without my popular actress/model girlfriend, Kang Yun. So what more could there be to see?

The elevator came to a stop at Floor 5, where Manager Park got off. Though I don’t remember what this floor was for…

“This is the Media and Communications floor.” President Chung was saying, unintentionally answering my thoughts.
“Oh,” I said, not knowing what else I should say. I took a swift look around the area.
It was clearly a work area, much busier and louder than the top floor. Phones were ringing here and there, people talking and calling over their desks, pile of paper being carried left and right. Every person that brushed passed us gave us a hasty bow before continuing on their way.
“Is this what you had to show me?” I asked after a while.
President Chung glanced over his shoulder and just smiled.
“You’ll see when you get there.” he said.

It wasn’t long before he stopped in front of a door to a conference room. He gave me one last knowing smile before pushing into the room.
This is what I wanted to show you.” he said, sounding satisfied.
I followed him into the room, a little bit suspicious. But then I caught sight of the conference table, and after a moment I’m pretty sure my mouth fell open.
“Is this…what I think it is?” I managed to squeeze out.
The president grinned, like a little kid in a candy store.
“Yes, Jae-Sung. These are your fan-mail.” he said.

On the table was a a huge mound of envelopes and packages of multiple colors and sized just heaped in a messy pile. My eyes wandered around the room and I noticed that that wasn’t even all of it; there were huge postal buckets lined up against the wall. And in them, were more loads of fan-mail.
“We had it moved here, so we can sort through the mail. They have a Q&A Column open for your fans this week and they wanted to start selecting the questions for you to answer.” President was saying.

A strange laugh escaped me, even though I didn’t find anything particularly humorous.
“All this? Mine?” I murmured, unable to form full sentences.
This got a hearty laugh out of the president.
“Is it that hard to believe?”
There was just…so many.

I was busy gaping at the endless piles of mail when the president gently nudged me forward.
“Go ahead; look through some of them.” he encouraged.
I glanced back at the president, and back at the fan mails, and back towards him but I didn’t object. Calmly, but secretly eager, I approached the table as I eyed my vast selection with care. Red, blue, yellow, pink… large, medium, small…square, rectangular---there were all types of colors, shapes and sizes in the pile. Some of the mail weren’t even in envelopes; just cuts of paper decorated with big, showy letters and drawings.
I couldn’t help the excited grin as I reached over and picked up the top most envelope. I had to force myself to slow down as I pulled at the adhesive and opened the letter.

Jae-Sung Oppa!
SARANGAE~ Image
I’m can’t WAIT for SHATTERHEART! I’m going to watch it just for you!


I chuckled, looking over the doodles of hearts and flowers framing the writing. This girl had a cute handwriting.
I put the letter down on an empty chair next to me, and started to look over the pile to pick out my next letter. I slowly walked around the table, scanning over the mounds of mail. When I reached the other end of the table, I pulled out a chair and sat down. I reached my hand into the pile and pulled out another envelope at random.
This one was more thicker, encased in a bright red envelope. I flipped it around to see that the envelope was sealed with a pink lipstick kiss-mark. Amused, I ripped it open. As I pulled out the letter, a strong fragrance of woman’s perfume assaulted me. Immediately I wrinkled my nose in disgust. What did she do to this paper, give it a perfume bath?
Nevertheless, I held my breath and pulled the folded paper open, holding it away as far away from me as possible.

Dear Jae,

Why do you keep on stealing my heart? But you’re too cool for me to stay mad…
Marry me?

PS—Lose the shirt; I like the view better.


I ‘steal’ her heart and she proposes? Talk about an emotionally destructive relationship. Besides, I’m not a fan of pink lipstick. I wasn’t a fan of lipsticks in general; they always left a messy mark and a pain to wash off.
I set the last letter aside and reached for the next one. This one was the plainest out of the three so far. I flipped it around to look at the sending address. The handwriting was messy, slightly sloppy in a way that was juvenile. Curiously, I opened the mail.
As I read the first few words, I realized this fan was still a kid.

To Mr. Jae-Sung,

I am a huge fan and I watched your promotion last night. I am really excited about your new drama role in SHATTERHEART.
I can’t wait for it to start. You must work very hard every day. Please don’t forget to take care of your health.

Sincerely,

Eun Mi


“Jae-Sung,”

I looked up from the mail to find the president and Manager Park standing in the doorway. He pointed at his wristwatch.
“We should get going.” he told me.
“Okay,” I replied, getting up.
A bit of disappointment flared in me as I looked at the remaining, huge piles of fan mail. So far it had been so fun…
“Take a few to read on the go.” President Chung suggested.
Eagerness won and again, I didn’t refuse. I returned my attention back to the piles of fan mail.
“Let’s see…” I thought out loud.
I passed my hand through the pile, pushing and spreading the envelopes across the already covered surface of the long conference table. Let me just select a handful to take with me---

Something hard and bulky brushed against the side of my hand as I swiped my hand through the pile. Curious, I pushed the mail that covered the mystery lump, digging out a small cardboard package. Strange; fan mails that are accepted were normally just letters. What would a fan send with in this medium sized package? Looking at it, there was no writing on it, no return address, just the mailing address.
I picked it up and weighed it in my hands.
It had some weight to it; clearly it was a little more than a letter. Gingerly, I gave it a small shake. Nothing rattled, and nothing shifted in the box. Maybe it was a book, maybe sent by a fan hoping I would send it back with an autograph. But for that, the book would be an odd shape…and why was the box cold?

“Jae, we need to go.” my manager said, sounding exasperated.

“Alright, give me a sec.” I said.

I looked at the box in my hand longingly, wanting so badly to know what was in the box. Geez, I was like a little kid on his birthday. But I couldn’t take it with me; it would be extra luggage for me to carry today. I have to leave it here.

I put the box down on the chair closest to me, so it wouldn’t get mixed up into the mail again. I reached into the pile and grabbed a handful of envelopes before walking out of the conference room.

Mr. Park was right behind me as I started for the elevators.
“What did the president want?” he asked.
“He showed me the fan mails that came in.” I told him. “There’s a whole lot.”
“I saw,” Mr. Park laughed. “Don’t worry, looking at the load there will be some left for you to read when we get back.”
I nodded, my curious thoughts returning to the mystery package.

It should be safe, for today. I mean, why would anybody open my fan mail?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys.

So this is still a relatively new story. But it's already picking up...I think.
9 Readers. 4 Subscribers. I think that's great so far!

So here's the third chapter. I'm getting these chapters out ASAP. Please, if you like, please comment and share this to someone who would like this story!
I'll try to get updates out regularly, but I am getting busy. So I can't make definite promises. (...but comments and feedback may help in motivation. XD)

Please keep reading!!