Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 5/pt. 5: Assessment of Situation (1/2)

The phone started to ring in that dull tone, making a connection. I was practically holding my breath, half hoping she wouldn’t answer. Maybe I should’ve called her partner Jun like Sun Hi had originally suggested…
At the third ring, there was a clicking noise, cutting off that dull sound.
“Yeoboseyo,” the girl answered in her smooth and calm tone. Why did she sound like she was bored?
I inhaled silently before I answered.
Yah, it’s me.” I said, keeping my own voice to be calm and low. “We need to talk.”

I could feel Mr. Park’s curious glances from the driver’s seat as I spoke. But I made sure to keep my expression blank and collected.
K breathed out on the other end of the phone, the sound of air scraping softly in my ear.
“Yes we do,” she agreed without protest.
“Where are you right now?” I asked.
“I’m at the hospital,” she replied immediately.

I frowned at that response. What was she doing at a hospital?

“I agreed that we should talk, and I don’t object.” K started. “But are we going to do this over the phone?”
For some reason, I nearly flinched at her last comment. Did I really have to meet her in person to have this talk?
“Is that going to be a problem?” I asked casually. “I’m busy; I still have a few jobs to get through.”
“Hmm,” K replied, sounding thoughtful. “It won’t be a problem since I also have a few things to take care of, but I find that phone conversations aren’t the most sincere form of communication.”

Sincere? Was punching me in the gut ‘sincere’?
I was about to retort back when Sun Hi’s comment floated into the frontline of my mind.
“If you’re being mature and the better adult there, your thoughts and feelings should get across.”

I sighed, forcing old grudges to stay down and out of my tone.
“I guess…you have a point there.” I forced the words out as calmly as I could. “So? What do you suggest?”

“We can meet whenever you’re done,“ K said. “I’ll leave the location and time up to you.”

I thought quickly, trying to keep myself sounding decisive.
“Fine, why don’t we meet up back at the apartment complex in two hours?” I said. “I should be done by then and privacy shouldn’t be a problem in my apartment.”

“Alright,” K agreed easily. “I’ll be there in two hours. See you then.”
With that, she hung up. I saved the number onto my contacts before shutting the phone. So K was at a hospital…what was she doing there?
Keeping the phone gripped in my hand I propped my elbow up against the passenger side window and pressed the back of my knuckles to my lips, staring mindlessly into the scene whipping past. I found myself thinking even more on this.
Seriously, what was she doing at the hospital? Was it on business? Or was it something else? My mind automatically brought up some of the conversations I had this morning.

“---You said ‘Step out and stay out.’ to her last night. You even told her that her place in this apartment for her stay here is the patio.”
I blinked, thinking back to last night. I sort of remember saying something like that…but I don’t remember sounding that harsh. Mr. Park came back out from the bedroom and frowned at me.
“You do remember telling her that, right?” he said.
I covered my blank out and kept a straight face.
“Yea…Of course.” I said. I turned to the fridge, opened it and pulled a water bottle out. “So, why didn’t she come in? I thought you would at least go and get her after I went to bed.”
“Oh, I tried. But she wouldn’t.” Mr. Park said.
“Wouldn’t?” I echoed, turning back around. Now I could see Mr. Park standing behind the counter, looking rather impatient.
“Yes. She said she was following your orders and that she’ll come in once you let her.” he said. He then raised an eyebrow.
“Well? Can I let her in now?”


Then there was that other conversation… when the publicist was complaining about something about her laundry…

“…You have no idea how happy I am that today is at least sunny. I was worried about that huge storm last night, and that it may linger til today...Yes; came in last night out of nowhere with strong winds and heavy rain. Got home late and all my laundry on the patio were drenched!”
She then shivered a bit.

“Oh, it was freezing rain too! The worst… Didn’t you know about the storm?”


Did she really stay out all night, even when the weather got that bad? Even when Mr. Park tried to call her back inside? Just how bad was the weather?
Then I frowned, another thought coming to mind.
…wait a minute, how was she moving around? I was the one that drove her to the agency this morning. After the incident in President Chung’s office, she disappeared. So how the hell did she get to the hospital? Surely she wasn’t walking around the city…
---She wasn’t carried there, was she?

I glanced over at Mr. Park, who was driving with a calm look on his face. I wondered if he knew anything about K and why she was at a hospital. Did he really know something I didn’t about her?
I was so tempted to ask.
Casually, I cleared my throat and reached over with his cellphone in my hand.
“Thanks,” I said, handing over his phone.

Mr. Park took his phone back and returned it into his jacket’s inner pocket without taking his eye off of the road.
“No problem,” he just said.

“What else do we have for today’s schedule?” I asked him, turning my eyes to the road ahead of us.

“Well, nothing that would take two hours,” Mr. Park said pointedly. “We’re heading back to the agency to get tomorrow’s finalized schedule."
I grimaced inwardly and turned away.

“Oh, I didn’t realize,” I lied. I needed that time to brace myself to meet my bodyguard, but I couldn’t possible tell him that. I should say something else. “K and I agreed to talk.”

“That’s great, Jae-Sung. We need her help in all this.” he said approvingly.

“Yea, I know.” I sighed. “That’s why we’re meeting back at the apartment after she comes back from the hospital.” I said.

“Hospital?” Mr. Park echoed, sounding mildly alarmed. “Why was she at the hospital?”

I frowned. So he didn’t know anything…
“She didn’t say,” I told him. “Honestly, I thought you would know something about that.”

“Me? Why is that?” he asked.

I shrugged and settled back in my seat.
“Because you’re always checking up on people and the first to know when something is up.” I said. “I just assumed. Why do you think she went to the hospital?”

Mr. Park suddenly looked uncomfortable, his face scrunching slightly in a troubled look.
“I don’t know.” he said after a short pause.

The way he practically squirmed told me he was lying, or at the very least hiding something. He was never a great liar.

Before I could question him a sound of a cell phone ringing broke through the tension in the car. Mr. Park dug back into his inner jacket pocket and fished out his phone. He kept his eye on the road as he flicked the phone open and brought it to his ear.
Yeoboseyo?” he answered. He paused as the caller spoke. “Ah, President Chung…”

He stopped talking again, listening carefully.
“We’re actually on the way back…what?” Mr. Park glanced up at his rearview mirror and looked at the cars driving behind ours. He paused a bit before replying. “I don’t think so. Why?”

I watched my manager as he listened to whatever it was that President Chung was telling him. I saw him suddenly tense.

“Alright. We should be there in a bit.” he said. “We’ll see you soon.”

He hung up and turned his attention back to the road ahead of him. He stepped on the gas and sped up, his expression grave.
“Mr. Park? What did President Chung want?” I asked.

“He wanted us to get back to the agency as fast as we possibly can, and with no stops in between.” he said. “He has something urgent to tell us.”

My stomach took an involuntary plunge at that.
“What does he want?” I asked.

Mr. Park shook his head.
“He wouldn’t say over the phone. He just asked if there were anybody following us.” he said.

“Following?” I echoed.

I glanced back at the side view mirror on my side of the car, trying to catch anything out of the ordinary.
“I don’t see anything.” I said. “Who would it be? The paparazzi? Tabloid reporters?”

“I don’t know, and the president wouldn’t say.” Mr. Park said. “Let’s just get to the agency to hear what’s going on, okay?”

I stared at him, looking at his expression. He looked just as bewildered as I was.
“Okay,” I mumbled, turning back forward.

I stared through the windshield, trying my best not to fidget. This car ride already felt too long.

Image


There were two security guards waiting for us in the parking garage, waiting to escort us into the building. It was probably just a twenty feet walk from our car to the doors but it seems like President Chung wasn’t taking any chances.
The two expressionless, uniformed and stern looking guards didn’t say a word as we rode the elevator up to the lobby. I don’t think they even blinked as we walked across the floor and to the main elevators to get to the President’s office on the top floor. Personally I thought it was a bit excessive to have them ride the elevator all the way up with us. It was especially uncomfortable when walking through the lobby with a few people still running around but I wasn’t about to start arguing with these guys.
When the doors finally slid open, the president was standing by the secretary’s desk, waiting for our arrival. I noticed that he and Mr. Park exchanged tense looks before turning to me.
“Let’s go into my office.” was all he said.

I couldn’t help the feeling as if I was in some sort of trouble as we all filed into his grand office and made our way to his office couches. The last time we all did this like this was when I found out what was in the box…my mind had no issues bringing back those memories. I kept my face clear of any expression and forced my mind to do the same.
President Chung motioned the two of us to sit down on the couch, and we both sat down without a word or a sound. I glanced at Mr. Park, who had that guarded look on his face as if he didn’t know what was going on. From that I gathered that he and I were pretty much in the same place.

President Chung cleared his throat and sighed, shifting and settling in his seat opposing us across the glass coffee table. He had a very serious look on his face that did little to ease my bubbling anxiety.
“We have some news and developments that I think you should hear.” he said in a tone that matched his expression. “I hope it make you reconsider your situation and having K as your bodyguard.”
I frowned, confused and glanced at my manager. Mr. Park returned me a look that echoed mine. President Chung seemed to assess us before continuing.
“We have a reason to believe that your stalker is somehow a person that can get close to you without making you suspicious.” he said. “And this person seems to know where you are at any given moment.”

“What?” I demanded, my voice hardening despite my efforts to stay calm. “What do you mean ‘at any given moment’?”

“Looking further into the evidence, new developments and the event at your promotional event, both the police and K have come to a conclusion that your stalker has been keeping an eye on you from a distance that is not too far away.” President Chung said.

“But what does that even mean?” I said. “The night of the promotion, there was a whole crowd of fans. Any of the thousands could’ve been the stalker.”

“President, what are you trying to say?” Mr. Park asked from beside me. “And developments? What developments?”

President Chung’s serious expression remained and he took a brief moment to think his words out.
“I can’t say anything for certain at this point. I am saying that we need to take the precautions now and not later when we could be regretting not moving more carefully.” he said. “I want you to think, Jae-Sung. Have you seen or talked to anyone that was very suspicious or acted oddly?”

I frowned, a chill running through me. Was this person really that close?
“Yea sure, on a daily basis; from fans and people that recognizes me.” I said. “But there’s no way to pick out who’s the stalker.”

“It can be anything, the slightest thing…” President Chung pressed.

I shook my head.
“Honestly, I never paid too close of an attention to details like that.” I said. “I’m sorry.”

The president let out another sigh.
“No, it’s hard to think of something like this all of the sudden.” he said. “Just keep an eye out for anything suspicious. And you let either the detectives or K know.”

I nodded, still feeling a bit unnerved.
“But what made the police suspect that this stalker was this close to me?” I asked. “They didn’t know much when they asked me questioned few nights ago.”

President Chung grunted, and looked like he was choosing his words carefully.
“We really can’t say for certain just yet.” he said evasively.

I did not have a good feeling about this. Was I being intentionally left in the dark? Why?

There was a sound of soft knocking on the door, breaking out attention.
“Come in,” President Chung called.

I saw the door open and to my surprise K strode in, her movement smooth and quiet. She saw us sitting on the couch and immediately headed towards us.
“K,” President Chung greeted, looking slightly relieved.

K stopped right beside the couch where everyone can turn to look at her without twisting their neck.
“The perimeter of the building is secure. No lingering cars or people were seen.” she reported.

President Chung inhaled deeply and sighed out.
“Thank you,” he told her, motioning to the seat to my right. “Why don’t you sit?”
I bristled, a small shock running through me. I didn’t agree to that!
But to my relief, K replied.
“No thank you,” she said.

Something in her tone made me look up at her and stare.
K looked unnaturally pale, more so than she did this morning, which was saying something. Her eyes looked a bit more sunken in and her lips were slightly discolored, almost giving her a deathly look. But otherwise her posture was straight and at attention, showing no sign of being sick or hurt. So why was she at a hospital?

President Chung allowed it without arguing and let her stand beside the couch. He then turned back to me.
“Do you see what kind of situation this is now?” he asked. “I don’t think we can afford to be loose with security.”
He then turned back to K.
“K, I want your assessment on this.” he said.

K turned to him expectantly, silently waiting for his question. I found myself watching her carefully.

“How possible is it that the stalker to know exactly where Jae-Sung is at any given time?” he asked.

K glanced towards me once with observing eyes before she answered.
“It’s definitely possible,” she said immediately. “The longer this person has been stalking you, the more surely.”

“But is that sort of thing easy to keep track of?” Mr. Park asked. “Of course, Jae-Sung is a celebrity and his public events are information accessible to everyone, but to know the exact place and at exact time he is at…that should be hard, if not nearly impossible unless you’re with him like I am.”

That was true; what little I had of my privacy I kept to myself. And I was cautious about the sneaky reporters and paparazzis. But K didn’t have to stop to think about her answer.

“Not necessarily.” she said smoothly. “I can come up with at least four different ways in knowing where you are at the top of my head.”

“How?” I cut in, alarmed.
That made her give me another studying look, and she didn’t drop her gaze as she answered.
“For one, there is your car.” I said.

“No one was following us, we are sure.” I said. “What else?”

“Hold on, no one has to physically tail you to actually locate you.” K said. “Your car has a GPS system,”

GPS? What about the GPS? I turned to Mr. Park, who gave me a bewildered look back.
K sighed and continued to explain.
“If the stalker has some knowledge in technology and computers, they could essentially bug and hack into that system and have a map to all the routes your car has taken, down to the exact minute.” she explained. “Or if it’s not the GPS, they could’ve bugged the car itself. Either one of these situations would require the stalker to get close to your car…which could be any time you parked the car on the side of the road.”

She then nodded to Mr. Park’s cellphone on the table.
“Cellphones are another way to track a person down. Most phones these days have a map and GPS system built in.” she said. “Even if you don’t have the person’s number, locating a phone won’t be hard for a hacker. And since Mr. Park is always with you, you have two phones that are vulnerable.”
She then paused before adding.
“I can do a full sweep of your car and cell phones if that would make you feel better.” she offered. “I’m not saying any of this to scare you, I’m just telling you the possibilities.”
“And that’s supposed to make us feel better?” I demanded.

K shrugged.
“I suppose it doesn’t make you feel great but I was just answering the question truthfully.” she told me.

“But what are the chances that the stalker would know…how to do all those things that you just listed?” Mr. Park asked. “That sort of thing takes effort and a lot of time and money, don’t you think?”

“Mr. Park, I don’t think it would be that unusual.” I said, a heavy weight sinking in my gut. “Look at sasaeng fans…they are known to hack into celebrities’ cellphone and computers, or even stalking and poisoning them. I won’t be surprised if they knew how to do half the things she just named.”
I inhaled and sighed, clearing my mind and forcing myself to gather my thoughts. Then I turned to the girl.
“So, what should we do? And that full sweep thing…would it get rid of any bugs and stuff off our phones?” I asked.

“If there are any, I will find them and get rid of them.” K said. “I’ll check the GPS for viruses in your car and see if there are any dropped devices.”

“In the meantime, try to stay out of the public’s eye. Not even for coffee with a friend.” President Chung said with a serious tone. “I don’t want to give this stalker any more chances to catch you off your guard, arraso?

I frowned, but nodded.
“That shouldn’t be too hard anyway; my next few days are supposed to be a packed schedule.” I said. “I won’t even have time for coffee stops.”

“That settles it for now,” President Chung said tiredly. “Even though it’s still rather unsatisfying, only being able to do this much to guard you but until we have more information, this is what will have to happen.”
He then turned to K.
“So the sweep you were talking about…can you do it now?” he asked.

K nodded.
“I can probably finish it in forty-five minutes at most.” she said. “I’ll go start right away.”

“Good, you do that.” President Chung said.

K walked over to where we were sitting and bowed her head slightly.
“I am going to need your car keys and your cell phones.” she said.

Mr. Park dug into his jacket pocket and pulled out the car keys. He then picked his phone up from the coffee table.
“Please take care of it,” he said, handing them to K.

“I’ll be sure to do so.” she promised him. She then turned her eyes to me. “I need your cell phone too.”

I nodded and reached into my jacket pocket and pulled out my phone. But as I went to hand it to her waiting hand, I hesitated. She noticed.
“If you don’t trust me, why don’t you come down with me and watch me work,” she offered without sounding offended in the slightest. “So you know exactly what I’m doing.”

I doubted I would know what she was doing, but I didn’t mind that idea. And even though it would be the two of us, she would be preoccupied with the work at hand. For some reason that made things much more comfortable enough to stand being in the same breathing space as her.

“Sure, I’ll show you where we parked.” I said. “We can talk more about this…bodyguard arrangement while we’re at it.”

I got up from the couch and handed her the phone.
“I’ll follow you to the garage,” I said.

K didn’t say anything or make an expression as she bowed to the president and Mr. Park, who were still sitting.

“I want to talk to Hyun-Ki about your schedule for the next few days so he will be down in a bit.” President Chung said to me.

I looked to Mr. Park, who nodded encouragingly.
“Go on ahead.” he said. “It won’t be too long.”

I sighed and turned to K, who was already at the door of the grand office.
Yah, wait up,” I called, walking over.

I stopped at the door and turned around, gave one final respectful bow to President Chung and left to follow after the girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
~Sorry for the super long delay in getting this chapter out!! Really, I needed my other story to catch up and it just took me much more chapters than I had originally anticipated. But it’s out now, and I made it longer than the usual chapter…I hope you guys don’t mind.
If you like K, and want to see what she thinks/sees in all this, you might be interested in reading Mission J. Believe me…she has her opinion and attitude. XD

It was weird writing in Jae-Sung’s POV after so long; it’s much easier to do when there is a dialogue already there. XD But it was nice to be able to get back to this again.
Another notice; I recently started a vlog thingy with my oldest sister…if you guys have questions on my stories, characters, or just any old random questions, just PM me and I will answer in a video! =D
Anyways, thanks to all those that decided to wait for the update!! I sincerely appreciate it…