Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 5/pt 5: Assessment of Situation (2/2)

The two guards from before were standing by the parking garage entrance, standing at attention as we walking out to my car. Neither K nor I spoke, our steps clapping and echoing into the dark, poorly lit space.
Wordlessly K rounded to the front of the car and stopped facing the windshield. She then placed the keys and the cell phones down onto the hood of the car. I was about to ask her what she was doing when she picked up Mr. Park’s phone.
I watched in awe as I saw K disassemble the phone and put it back together again in thirty seconds flat. Her nimble fingers moved methodically, flicking and twisting the phone until it was in separate parts. Another quick round of flicks and presses of her fingertips and the phone was in one piece again.

“Mr. Park’s phone is clean,” she finally said, placing the phone on the hood of my car. She then turned to pick mine up. And the process began all over again.
I watched like a curious kid watching an adult working as she expertly pulled the device apart and put it back together again. And I was right; I had no idea what the hell she was doing.
“And so is yours.” she said, tossing me the phone. I caught it and gave it my own simple look-over. “I’ll run the internal diagnostics to see if there is a virus or evidence of hacking, but from the exterior these are clean.” she continued to say.

I raised an eyebrow and gave her a look.
“Were you really able check?” I asked. “With what you just did with the…flipping and twisting you just did?”

“What was on the phone physically, yes.” K said. “A planted bug needs some sort of power source so it usually is planted under the battery pack.”

I hummed, reluctantly impressed.
“And the diagnostic…how are you going to do that?” I asked.

“I’ll need my laptop,” she said.

I frowned.
“I thought you would be doing all of this right here,” I said.

“I am,” K replied. “I’ll just go get my equipment.”

“And where is that, exactly?” I asked.

As if to reply, K pulled out a key and a remote lock out from her pants pocket, pointed it in my direction and pressed a button on the remote.
I heard a sound of a car’s alerting chirp from behind me and a bright stream of light from the headlights engulfed my body, making me wheel around.
“What the,” I let out, shielding my eyes from the high beams.
K stepped forward, making her way to the parked car.
Yah,” I said. When she didn’t stop, I quickly followed after her.

Three steps forward and the high beams turned off, returning my full vision. My pace slowed, stunned at what I saw.
“What…”

I watched as K approached the sleek black sports car and open the driver side door. She slipped in behind the wheel and disappeared behind the heavily tinted windshield. My eye scanned the body of the car up and down in disbelief. This was clearly a very pricey car…a sports car at that!
Then my eyes caught the famous crest at the tip of the car hood. My jaw must’ve hit the floor then.

K popped back out from the car and shut the door with a slam, coming back out with a small black duffel bag hanging over her shoulder and a shock resistant case in her hand. She relocked the car and started to walk back to my suddenly lame car. If she saw my stunned expression or made note of my obvious reaction, she didn’t say anything about it as she walked right by me.
I turned around and followed after her.
“Is that your car?” I asked.

“Who else’s would it be?” she asked, sounding slightly amused.

“But how did you get it?” I questioned.

“I have connections.” she said simply.

“And they gave you a brand new Lamborghini?” I demanded.

“Pretty much.” K said.

K returned to the front of my car and gently set the shock-resistant case down on the hood. She fiddled around with the lock and opened it. I craned my neck to see what was inside, curiosity taking over. Inside the protective foam was a small laptop, with few smaller gadgets and pieces separated in its own special compartment. Wordlessly, K pulled the laptop out and sat it down next to the case. She reached back into the case to pull out a black USB cord.
“Give me your phone,” she said.

I frowned and dug through my pocket for my cell.
“If you needed it again so soon, why did you give it to me?” I grunted, handing it back to her.

“Because you looked anxious while I was handling you phone.” K replied. “Thought you might feel better if you got to hold it for a while.”

I scowled and crossed my arms over my chest.
“I’m not a child,” I said flatly.

“Of course you’re not,” K returned dryly, her eyes fixed on the task at hand.
She plugged in the USB end to the computer and flicked open the charger port to my phone.
“Hmm,” she hummed, studying it.

“What? Did you find something?” I asked.

“No, just trying to see what adapter to use.” K said.
She turned back to the case and selected a small attachment piece, which she connected to the other end of the cord. She then plugged my phone in.
The computer let out a signaling beep and K got right to clicking and typing. I leaned over and took a sneak peak at the computer screen, curious. I saw a random page of charts and a glowing progress bar in the middle.
“This will take about five minutes,” K announced, looking at the screen.
She then pulled out the keys to my car from her pocket and unlocked it. I heard the dull clicking of the door locks.

“What are you doing now?” I asked.

She dropped her duffel bag onto the floor and she opened the driver seat door.
“I’m going to get started on the car while we wait for the diagnostics on your phone to finish.” she said, kneeling on the ground. She pulled out a flashlight and a pair of gloves before she sat in behind the driver’s seat.

I glanced from her brand new Lamborghini to her laptop and then to her. And then back at her Lamborghini again.
Connections? Connections?!Who the hell was this girl?

I stood there awkwardly, the colder air of the parking garage starting to sink through my thin jacket. My thoughts automatically went back to what I’ve heard about the weather of the night before from Mr. Park. If it was so miserable last night, why did she stay out? What was she thinking?
Somehow I felt that I had to ask about it directly. Why not now?
I straightened my posture and stuck my hands into my pants pocket to keep them warm. I cleared my throat and took a deep breath.

“…So.”

K looked up from her handiwork and raised an eyebrow questioningly.
“So,” she echoed, as if to prompt me to continue.

I shifted slightly and crossed my arms, fighting the urge to fidget uncomfortably.
“We were supposed to talk…in an hour and a half. But for some reason, we met here.” I said, almost thinking out loud.

K shrugged and resumed working.
“Things very rarely go according to plan,” she said simply, running a gloved hand along the seat cushions with careful attention. “Did you want to talk now?”

I shrugged, leaning against the side of the car.
“I mean, may as well, right?” I said. “Since we’re here, and no one’s really here to overhear…”

“Unless your car was bugged.” K pointed out, not pausing in her search.

I grimaced.
“Right…” I said. I thought about it for a second and frowned. “But really, what are the chances that my car is actually bugged?”

K came out of the car and adjusted the turtle neck sweater around her throat.
“Very minimal. I’m assuming that your car isn’t usually just out in the open for the most part.” K said. “It would make it hard for someone to put a listening device in your car. But it’s much easier to plan a tracker than a listener.”

“Why is that?” I asked curiously.

K went around to the front of the car and checked on the progress of Mr. Park’s phone.
“Because a listening device would require a position that’s well hidden but unobstructed for its purpose.” K told me. “A tracker bug could be on the exterior of the car.”
She then walked back to the driver’s side of the car and climbed back inside. I watched as she looked through the cup holders and dashboard.

“So, how big would these things be?” I asked.

K lifted up her flashlight and peeked into the CD player of the car radio.
“It depends,” she said, her tone preoccupied. “But most are relatively small. That’s why they can be hidden mostly anywhere.”
She did a little more of her scanning before coming back out of the car.
“But so far, your car is clean.” she told me. “Usually a listening device is hidden in the front part of the car, but to be certain I’ll check the back.”

I watched as she opened the back doors of the car and climb in. She ran her fingers along the backs of the two front seats and then along the floor.
“Did you find anything?” I asked.

“You would know if I did,” K replied back, not stopping her task.

The conversation died between us with that, returning the parking garage to silence. Awkwardly and restlessly I just stood there, not know what I should do or be doing. I stuck my hands into my pants pocket, my fingertips starting to pinch a bit from the colder air. Now what?
I paced a bit, hating to just stand around like this. I shifted my weight from one side to the other, paced some more and then peered into the car.
K was on her knee, one leg extended out of the car from the lack of room. She checked between the seats before turning around and bending over to check underneath them, her butt lifting up as she reached…huh, she must work out---

I jolted, catching myself in that train of thought. I wheeled around and stared holes into the opposing concrete wall, feeling my face burn. Seriously? What the hell was that?
I forced myself to breathe easy before I cleared my throat and turned back around. Thankfully, K was now upright, pointing the flashlight up at the roof of the car.
“How is it going?” I asked casually.

K turned her gaze to me and lowered her flashlight.
“Your car is clean of all bugs and tracking devices,” she told me. “I don’t see any traces of a bug ever being planted in here.”
K went to pull herself out of the car when she suddenly stiffened. I noticed her expression freeze and I frowned.

“What is it?” I asked.

But K exhaled quietly and closed her eyes for a moment before looking up at me.
“It’s nothing,” she sighed out before stepping out of the car.
Was it me or did it look like she was moving very… carefully?
K let out another sigh and rolled her shoulders and neck.
“That pretty much rules out remote tracking,” she muttered. She looked thoughtful, her expression knitting together into a troubled look. “All that’s left is your phone.”
She then made her way to the front of the car again to where Mr. Park’s phone was being scanned. Just as she came to a stop, an alerting beep rang out from the laptop. K hit a button on the keyboard and looked at the screen.
“Mr. Park’s phone is clear also.” she said, setting the flashlight down by the laptop.

“Does that mean it’s definitely my phone?” I asked, alarmed. I came around to the front of the car and stared at her laptop.

But K shook her head.
“No, it’s possible that it’s clear too.” she said. “Your phone and car is only few of the many ways you can be tracked.”
She unplugged Mr. Park’s phone, picked up mine and plugged it in. She typed in something and hit the enter key. Another beep rang out from her laptop, and the progress bar popped back up onto the screen.
“This will either eliminate another possibility or find the bug.” K said. She turned around and leaned against the front bumper. “I can still check the exterior of the car, but I think the chance of finding a device at this point is minimal.”

“Why?” I asked, eyeing my car.

As if you answer, K glanced around the parking garage.
“Your car for the most part is parked in a secure location,” K replied. “It’s practically impossible for an average person to get to your car undetected.”

“Practically, not completely.” I noted flatly, not entirely convinced.

K looked thoughtful and she just nodded slightly. After a moment she pushed herself off the bumper.
“I’ll search the exterior then.” she said.
She walked back over to the driver’s side of the car and knelt down by the front wheel. I stepped around and watched her work.

As K reached in and searched the tire well, my mind went back to what President Chung had told me. There were too many things that bothered me, clouding my mind.
Sure, the new so-called developments in my case were disturbing to consider, but somehow it was the way the president said all that he did that caught something in my head. The first instance was when he told us the reason why he called us in.

“Looking further into the evidence, new developments and the event at your promotional event, both the police and K have come to a conclusion that your stalker has been keeping an eye on you from a distance that is not too far away.”

He said ‘the police and K’; as if they got together, exchanged notes and produced the same answer. Why? I thought K was here just to keep me safe. Why was she involved in the investigation?
I didn’t like it, but I had to handle it better than the way I did this morning…because K didn’t handle my reaction well, understandably. I needed to back off and actually talk about this, not just shut her out…right? That way, I can make my own thoughts clear.
If I was the mature one here, my opinions and thoughts should be respected. I am the one being protected after all.

Another thing President Chung caught my attention and I frowned, recalling exactly how he said it.
“In the meantime, try to stay out of the public’s eye. Not even for coffee with a friend.” President Chung said with a serious tone. “I don’t want to give this stalker any more chances to catch you off your guard, arraso?

Coffee with a friend…why was he so specific and mention coffee of all things? And why did he say ‘any more chances’? When have I given the stalker a chance to catch me off my guard? Definitely not the promotion event; I was there on a job, there was no avoiding that…

The last time I went out with a friend was with Sun Hi…for coffee…
Yah, I want to ask you something.” I said.

K didn’t look up as she ran her hand along the back bumper of the car.
“Alright,” she said, preoccupied.

“Today. With President Chung’s calling Mr. Park and I back here after filming.” I started. “Something had to have happened.”
K didn’t stop working but she glanced at me with an expectant look. I went on.
“He was telling us that there were developments or something with the stalker case. But he wouldn’t tell us the whole story.” I said. “Something about not being able to say anything for sure at this point.”

“Uh huh,” K said, sounding uninterested.

“He mentioned you too. Like you and the police were involved with coming up with this new conclusion.” I said. “And then you showed up and said that the building was secured or whatever…”

“Are you going to ask a question, or are you going to keep on making statements?” she asked.

“You know what all that was about,” I said. “You have to; he called you over too and you were working with the police.”

“And your question is…” K prompted, sounding impatient.

“What happened that made you and the police take that guess about the stalker?” I asked. “About them being close to me.”

The girl glanced at me again, studying me carefully.
“Don’t worry about it.” she finally said, returning to her work.

“Don’t worry about it?” I echoed. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It means don’t worry about it.” K just said, not even bothering to look up again.

I stared at her incredulously, in disbelief that she was completely shutting me out.
No, this was not right; I deserved to know.
“So you do know what happened,” I said flatly.

“You’re being vague; I have no ways of answering to that.” K returned.

“I wasn’t asking anyways,” I shot back smartly.

“Well then you don’t need me to respond. Are we done with questions?” she asked. “Because I want to get this done and---”

“He mentioned something about coffee.” I cut her off, aggravation venting. “He has to have found out that I went out with a friend to get some coffee yesterday.”

K stopped working and looked up at me. Her eyes were dark and unfriendly.
“Coffee with a friend, how scandalous,” she said sarcastically.

“No, that’s not it.” I nearly snapped. God, I hated that tone of hers. “I have a feeling whatever happened has something to do with me going to the café yesterday.”

A scowled found a place on K’s face as she looked at me.
“You’re smarter than you look.” she said flatly.

I couldn’t tell if she was being sarcastic or just irritated.
“So I am right? It has something to do with yesterday?” I asked. “What was it?”

“I am not at liberty to say,” K said simply.

“I have the right to know; we’re talking about my safety.” I argued. “If you’re taking part in the investigation---”

“Listen, I have no intentions of involving myself any further with the police end of the business. My methods aren’t exactly compatible with theirs.” K cut in, her tone taking on an edge. “It’s not my job to find the stalker so I’m going to leave that in their very capable hands so I can focus on keeping you safe.”

“Oh really? And you were running around creeping and sneaking around this morning, trying to find anything on this stalker?” I demanded. “I tell you not to run off and the first thing you do is disappear to cause public alarm.”

K got up to her feet and gave me a look of irritation.
“Public alarm…really? Is that what I was doing?” she shot right back. “I thought I was just trying to do my job.”

“You just said that your job was to keep me safe.” I pointed out.

“I need to know exactly what I’m protecting you from!” K growled. “Oh but right; all I need to do is throw myself between you and all and any stranger-danger that may come your way. How hard can this job be?”

“That’s what I’ve been saying!” I snapped.

K threw her hands up and turned around, swearing under her breath.
“I can’t believe I got dropped into babysitting,” I heard her mutter.

Mwuh rah goo?” I demanded incredulously. “Babysitting?”

“Yea, babysitting.” K spat, glaring over her shoulder. “It’s like a punishment or a demotion for me. It really makes me question what I did to deserve this.”

“Ha, you actually have to think about it?” I scoffed. “You must have a lengthy list or a record.”
K’s eyes seem to flash, looking dangerous. I leaned away from her but stared defiantly.
“What, are you going to punch me again?” I demanded.

We glared at each other, the tension at its all-time high. Aggravation brewed inside me and I was literally fuming.
This is not the conversation I was planning on having with this girl.

Suddenly, an alarming beep rang from the laptop, breaking our stare-off. K strode over and took one glance at the screen.
“Clean.” she announced coldly.
She disconnected my phone and shut her laptop with a snap before returning it into the shock-resistant case. She packed everything up, pulled the case off of my hood and walked over to the side of the car. She gave me a glare as she walked by and stopped by the driver side door, tossing her flashlight into her duffel bag.
I said nothing as she opened the driver door and reached in for something in the car. A few seconds later, she was out again with a small device and a cord in her hand.
“Clean, everything is clean.” she grouched.
She then shoved everything into the duffel bag and shut the car door.

“Looks like you and the police were wrong about the stalker theory.” I said coolly.

K looked as if she was going to snap back but then her phone started to ring in her pocket. A flash of annoyance came across her face and she reached into her jacket.
She looked at the caller ID, breathed in deeply before she answered.
What,” she answered the call calmly in perfect English, not a hint of her anger in her voice.
She listened to whatever the caller was saying and suddenly her eyes hardened.
When?” she said. “I’ll find out…no I’m ready to leave now.

She then hung up, gave me one last look before she picked up her duffel bag and made her way towards me. I defiantly stood my ground, not moving for her.
“Who was that?” I asked, my voice coming out hard.
“Don’t worry about it,” K scoffed, her own voice matching mine.

She didn’t even bother with me standing in her way as she her shoulder collided into my side as she passed.
Yah, I want my phone back.” I yelled after her.

“It’s in your pocket,” K snapped harshly, not bothering to slow her brisk pace or turn around.

I frowned, and felt inside my jacket pockets. There in the left side pocket was my phone with Mr. Park’s…how the hell?
I wheeled around and stared at her.

“And where do you think you’re going?” I demanded.

K was just about to get in her shiny new Lamborghini. She shot another glare my way.
“I'm going to go terrorize the village,” she snapped.

She then yanked her car door open, threw her stuff in and got in. A second later, she was speeding out of the garage.
I couldn’t tell if she was joking about where she was going.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the delay...horrible writer's block.

I don't know if I like this chapter; I read it a few times myself and I still think it feels slightly...rushed? Blah??

...Sigh...Well, I will get the other chapter out very soon.

OH! for those of you wanting to read more, I recently put up a one-shot fanfic crossover featuring K and Yumho.'s AU Uknow...Check it out HERE!!