Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 6/pt 2: Wake Up Call

A gasp broke out from my lungs and I jolted, practically snapping out of deep sleep. Inexplicable panic hit me hard in my chest, making my lungs tight and my heart beat a million beats per minute. Immediately I was cold, breaking into cold sweat with a shock. This was a feeling I haven’t had in a while, but it was a familiar one from my childhood.

A nightmare. It was only a nightmare…

A sigh of relief escaped me impulsively, and I closed my eyes in an attempt to bring my heart rate back down. Confused and slightly disoriented, my eyes flickered around my surroundings. It took a few moments to realize that I was not in my bedroom. Groaning at my aching back, I sat up and took a look around.
That’s right; I was waiting for my bodyguard to come back. I must’ve fallen asleep on the couch.
It took another few seconds for me to process the events of the previous evening. Just thinking about it made me want to just drop back to sleep. A heavy sigh pushed out of my chest and I fell back against the couch to stare up at the ceiling. Maybe I was too drained mentally to even think because my mind was just blank.
As I stared, my eyes wandered to the atomic clock that was mounted on the wall to my left.

4:08 A.M.


Mr. Park should be coming soon to begin with the busy schedule we had today. I should hit the showers and start looking presentable.

I sat up straight and stretched, groaning and wincing at my stiff back. With another sigh, I took another look around my quiet apartment. Evidently I was the only one present.
I frowned.
Did that girl ever come back? What did she leave for anyway to begin with?

Still slightly groggy, I shuffled out of my living room and down the hall to where my bedroom was. I flicked the light switch to my room and grimaced at the bright light that illuminated the space. God, I wanted to sleep more.
Groaning to myself, I went straight into my bathroom and started to strip. My tired muscles protested against the movement as I shrugged out of my shirt, my back muscles still asleep. I grabbed a towel out from the cabinet and hung it on the hanger before turning the shower on to my usual medium hot temperature. As I waited for the water jets to heat up, I glanced at the mirror to take a look at my reflection.
I was a mess. My hair was sticking up in cowlicks that defied gravity on one side of my head, and I had a shadow under my eyes that gave away my fatigue. And my neck ached from sleeping at an awkward angle I had slept in. Sighing to myself, I turned and stepped into the showers for a quick wash.

Image


I managed to shower and get dressed within ten minutes. When I got out of my room, I saw that Mr. Park hadn’t gotten here yet. Having some time, I decided to look for something light to eat in my fridge.
My mind was still pretty much blank as I just went through the motions of getting ready; I was too tired to even think about complaining. Tiredly, I grabbed the closest bottle of water off the fridge shelf and a protein bar. I ripped the wrapper off the bar, took a bite and just chewed.
Apparently I was too tired to taste anything too.

It was still dark as it was very early in the morning. I walked across the kitchen and into the living room, and flipped the light switch on the wall. I was about to return to the kitchen but I stopped, and turned my eyes to the light switch on the wall.
The light was turned off…the last I remembered, it was still on. Wasn’t it on?
I continued to chew on the tasteless protein bar as I recalled the last few minutes of last night before I fell asleep.
Yea, it was definitely on. I was sitting here trying to relax a bit when I fell asleep. I don’t remember turning off the lights. Besides, if I had turned off the lights, I would’ve headed back to my room and slept there.
So who turned off the lights?

My slow and tired mind came to the only conclusion I could think of, but it didn’t feel right. Was it K? Had she come back here after all?
Wanting to confirm my guesses, I stepped out to the small entrance hallway of my apartment and looked down. There were no shoes left there to indicate a visitor in my home. A frown found its way on my face at the sight and I went back to the living room.
She couldn’t be here. How would she have gotten in without the code for the lock? I mean, Mr. Park could’ve given it to her, just in case of emergencies and whatever. But then where was she? I glanced to the guest bedroom door on the side of my living room. Was she in there? For some reason, that didn’t seem likely. I would know if she came in; I would’ve heard something like footsteps or her moving around. Wouldn’t I?

I contemplated going over to the bedroom door and checking to see if anyone was in there. Wait, was that risky? As a man, I shouldn’t barge into a bedroom occupied by a girl. But this was my apartment, so would I be just checking in? Was that allowable? I sighed irritably, and wheeled around.
Then my eyes landed on the sliding glass doors to my balcony. Where I had kicked K out to two nights ago.
No…she wasn’t out there, was she?

Suddenly, I felt nervous and my stomach tense. But I had to make sure. I allowed myself a deep inhale and exhale before I started to creep towards the glass. The white curtains that covered the view to outside were taunting me. For some reason I felt like the lead in a horror movie, walking straight for an obvious trap, the killer waiting on the other side of the curtains.
Why was I so nervous? I thought to myself. Seriously, why the hell am I so edgy?

I was a foot away from the curtains now; all I had to do was pull it to the side. That’s all I needed to do to check. But I stood still and listened instead. I dared not move a single muscle as I tried to pick up even the smallest sound, to see if anybody was on my balcony---

My heart practically jumped to my throat when the glass door slid open on its own and the curtain was pushed aside in one steady swipe.
“Gwah!”

A very unattractive sound came flying out of my mouth and I jumped a mile, completely caught off guard. It took a few seconds for me to get my heart rate under control and process what was happening. My eyes whipped back to the balcony door, and I stared.
K was standing there, leaning one shoulder against the door frame, eyebrow raised and one arm holding the curtain aside. She didn’t look very impressed.
“Superstar,” she said dully.

I stared at her, completely stunned out of thinking.
“Su…Super…” I started echoing her. But then I stopped, the situation finally sinking in.
My jaw dropped and I pointed at her.
Yah, you…what are you…” I stuttered.

The girl gave me a weird look.
“What am I doing here?” she guessed. “I really wish I knew. But I’m not here by choice.”

“How did you get in?” I demanded.

“Your manager gave me the passcode to the apartment lock.” she replied smoothly.

I knew it.
I blew out a breath, my heart finally calming back down.
“You scared me.” I told her flatly.

K rolled her eyes and pushed off from the doorframe.
“I wasn’t the one creeping behind a curtain.” she pointed out.

“I wasn’t creeping.” I said defensively. “I…thought I heard something.”

K scoffed as she let go of the curtain and stepped back out onto the balcony.
“Doubtful.” I heard her say behind the curtain.

Irritation spiked in me, though I was still stunned.
“What---” I started to say.
But instead I followed after her, pushing through the curtain and stepping out onto the balcony.
“Hey, what do you mean---”

The cold air hit me like a solid brick wall, catching me mid-breath. An involuntary shake ripped through me and I fought the urge to jump back into my apartment.
“Dah!”

Yet another unattractive and senseless sound escaped me and I hopped around a bit as the cold from the stone ground bit at my feet through my thin socks.
I wrapped my arms around my frame, rubbing my arms in a weak attempt to stay warm. I stared at K, who just walked over to the lounge chair I had out and shifting through the contents of a duffel bag. She didn’t even seem to notice the cold icy air as she went on to do whatever she was doing.

“Dammit, it’s so cold out here,” I muttered to myself.

K didn’t seem to have anything to add to that thought; in fact, she just ignored me and went on with her business. The girl didn’t seem to even notice the cold, never mind be affected by it. The sight of it was strange and out of place even. Shouldn’t she at least be shivering?
I noticed then that her jacket was slung on the lounge chair next to the duffel bag.
“Hey, aren’t you cold?” I asked.

K glanced over at me with a bored expression and shrugged.
“Not really.” she sighed, turning back to her bag.

Then it was quiet again, back to that awkward silence. I stared at the girl’s back, trying to figure her out a bit.
She was in a new set of clothes, different from the ones she had yesterday. She wore a simple dark turtleneck and worn looking denim pant with her sturdy looking boots that was a pretty casual outfit. She had her holster on but I didn’t see the gun she had yesterday. I don’t remember her carrying around that duffel bag too so that must be new. She must’ve gone home or something to get a few things. But then there was that phone call she took before she left. Where did that take her?
She was looking through her cellphone when I cleared my throat to speak.
“When did you come in?” I asked.

“Late,” she said. She then looked at me and took in my awkward appearance before she added. “You were asleep on the couch.”

“Where did you go?” I asked.

“Places.” she said with a tone of conclusion.

Why did this conversation feel like something out of a drama script? Even the next words that was to follow fell right in with the cliché.
“We need to talk.” I said calmly.

K sighed, as if she was tired of hearing me say this. And she probably was.
“You keep saying that,” she said. “Never goes according to plan, does it?”

Seriously, straight out of a script. I feel like I should follow that statement with a slight depressed pause and then demand ‘What’s his name?’ or something along those dramatic and confrontational lines.
I shook my head, trying to clear my head of this nonsense. What, was I being cheated on? I need to wake the hell up.
I was about to question more about last night when I heard some commotion from the apartment.

“Jae-Sung! I’m here! I hope you’re awake and ready!” I heard Mr. Park calling.

“Yea, out here!” I called back.

There was a bit more shuffling before the rustling of the curtains and Mr. Park stepped out onto the balcony.
“What are you doing out here in the cold?” he asked.
He stopped when he saw K, who turned around from her duffel bag.
“K, you’re here,” he said, sounding slightly surprised.

K bowed her head respectfully.
“Good morning, Mr. Park.” she said.

Mr. Park returned the greeting.
“When did you come in?” he asked.

“She said she came in last night while I was sleeping.” I answered. “I found her here this morning.”

K raised an eyebrow at me but didn’t add or object. Mr. Park turned to K with a concerned look.
“Did you stay out here all night again?” he asked her.

K blinked, and I could see that she was thinking about how to answer.
“Not all night.” she said. “I’ve only been here for a few hours and I had a few phone calls to make.”
I frowned and stared at her. If she was lying, I couldn’t tell.

“Well, there’s no sense in staying out here much longer.” Mr. Park said. “You look like you could use a hot drink.”
He then stepped aside and motioned toward the door.
“Come on in; I’ll make you coffee or tea.”

With that he motioned for K to follow him and dove back inside. I glanced back at K, who gave me a simple glance back before starting to follow after him.
“Did you really talk on the phone for hours?” I asked, just as she brushed past me.
K stopped, just a step past my shoulder.
“It’s been a bit of a stressful situation and I was slightly hot-headed.” K said in a calm and reasonable tone. “I may have taken an hour or so to calm down and rest.”
With that, she entered back into my apartment after my manager, leaving me blinking out in the cold.

“…and Cut!” I muttered mockingly to myself.

I was about to turn to go back into my apartment but I stopped. I stared at the jacket on the lounge chair.
How was she not cold out here?

I found myself approaching the chair where her stuff was. Bending forward, I picked up her jacket.
The dark leather was ice-cold in my hand, clearly left out in the cold for a significant amount of time. Seriously, how long was she out here? My eyes fell to the open duffel bag on the lounge chair, and though I knew better, curiosity got the better of me and I took a peek into its contents.
The first thing I saw that was on top of all the items was a small pouch. The pouch was open, revealing a small hand mirror and a few make-up items. I raised an eyebrow, surprised. This girl didn’t come off as a type that did make-up, or cared about her appearance in that way.
It’s interesting how you can find things out about another person, just by looking at the stuff they carried. I was expecting to see guns and grenades, not make-up and…girly stuff. I wonder, what else she had in that bag…

“I would appreciate it if you didn’t touch my things.”

I jolted, nearly dropping the jacket as I wheeled around. I couldn’t help the guilt that sprung in me, as if I was caught peeking into the girl’s dressing room.
K was back out again, walking over to where I was standing near the lounge chair. She didn’t seem mad or upset…just tired.

She came over and just held a hand out. I passed the jacket to her immediately, which she took without a word. She just brushed past me and started to rummage through the duffel bag again. I felt like I should at least say something.
“I thought you were going to go drink something to warm up.” I said.

“Mr. Park is getting it ready right now.” she replied without turning back to me. She pocketed something in her pants and continued digging through her bag.

Say something else to her, I thought. I have to fix things; make it work…
“Hey, are you alright? You look tired.” I said, speaking slowly.

“What’s it to you?” she returned, not stopping her work. She shrugged off holster and threw it in her bag before swinging her jacket on.

I shrugged.
“I just thought I would ask; I mean if you were out here for hours at negative-two degrees…”

“I’m fine.” she said. “There wasn’t any rain or much wind this time around.”

I grimaced, feeling slightly guilty.
“Listen…about the other day…”

“It doesn’t matter.” she said bluntly, cutting me off.

I scowled, hating being cut off over and over again.
Yah, I’m just trying to make sure…”

“Make sure what? That I can do my job?” K said, cutting me off again. She finally looked up at me, but her eyes were far from friendly. “Don’t worry, Mr. Seo. If someone tries to hurt you, I’ll just jump in.”

I stared at her, and she at me. I was beyond words and any thought at this point.

“Jae-Sung, we have to leave soon!” I heard Mr. Park announce from inside the apartment. “Let’s go over the final schedule once before we leave.”

“You’re being called.” K said coolly. “Well, go on. I’ll head in when I’m done here.”

I scoffed and wheeled around. What the hell is wrong with this girl?
I shoved myself into the apartment, finally back into the warmth. Out of habit, I grabbed the handle of the door and yanked the door shut. Maybe I put in too much strength in the pull but I didn’t care. I didn’t bother catching the sliding door as it slid shut. It hit the opposing doorframe with a loud alarming snap.

Seriously, Monday evening couldn’t come faster.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SOOOOOOOO SORRY!! I didn’t intend for the break to be this long!!
Seriously, it took forever to get the other story to catch up. But seriously, K had a very long night and it took a lot of time to write everything out…

I won't lie; not the best chapter to break out of hiatus. I wish I had fireworks and an amazing eventful chapter as a comeback. But the events are coming in the next chapters. I swear.

Anyways, enough excuses. Please accept my apologies!!!