Status: On Hiatus

Before the Fame

The After-Party: Part II

I danced my troubles away as Joe danced horribly (on purpose, mind you). I was having so much fun that I hadn’t even noticed Kevin join us.

“Mind if I steal her?” Kevin asked, taking my hand without waiting for Joe’s protests.

“So, enjoying your time?” he asked.

“Absolutely! I just wish Nick was here,” I admitted.

“Why? Nick’s probably gone to look for Miley or somethin’,” he replied nonchalantly.

“I know, but I mean, he’s my friend, too,” I said nervously.

“I know. I’m just messin’ with you, Sam,” he said twirling me.

We danced for about ten more minutes before we went back to sit down.

“I am beat!” Joe said flipping his hair.

“I’ll get some drinks,” Kevin offered.

“Do you think we should look for Nick?” I asked in a concerned tone.

Joe pulled out his phone, checking the time.

“Yeah, he’s been gone for a while now,” he agreed.

“I’ll look for him,” I said excitedly.

“Alright. Hurry back,” Kevin said. Joe only gave me a thumbs-up as he rested his head on the table before we split up.

I searched the dance floor unsuccessfully. My mind told me to go near the bathrooms, so I did. Once I reached them, I saw Miley and Nick arguing with one another. I walked to the wall on the side where they couldn’t see me, but I could hear them clearly.

M: That’s not the point, Nick! She’s coming on tour with us and there’s nothing I can do about it!
N: What’s so bad about Sam coming with us? She sings, too, at least and she’s a family friend.
M: Family friend? You guys only knew each other for what-two days?
N: It was three days, Miley.
M: That doesn’t make it any better!
N: What do you want me to do? I’m not the one who has a problem with her coming. What’s your deal, anyway?
M: She’s gorgeous, Nick! I’m not saying I’m not, but she’s older and the way you guys connect-*sighs* I just can’t compete with her.
N: This isn’t a competition, Miles. I’ve been with you since last year, remember?
M: Officially, yes.
N: OK, then. Sam is a good friend like Maya, you know? She could never take your place.

For some reason, his words hurt my feelings even though I would never want to take Miley’s place.

M: OK. I’ll be back, alright? I’m gonna go get some food. Go back with your friends.
N: Alright.
Miley was intimidated by me of all people? Why?

I heard the sound of lips making contact before hearing Miley’s heels click-clacking on the floor. I sighed, waiting for her to pass as I slumped down on the wall. I scratched my head, closing my eyes as I sat there thinking-wondering if I could maintain a friendship with Nick, but I knew that could be too difficult for Miley to handle.

A sigh escaped me just as a voice spoke.

“Sam?” Nick asked in confusion.

I scrambled to my feet, tucking some of my hair behind my ears before speaking.

“Nick? Um, hi!” I said in a happy tone, masking my emotions.

“Hi,” he said with a laugh.

Slow music began playing causing the both of us to look towards the dance floor. Nick held out an outstretched hand.

“Do you wanna dance?” he asked nervously.

I bit my lip, my eyes lighting up with excitement before it disappeared from me.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend?” I asked, trying not to hint I overheard their argument.

“I know, but it’d be our first dance as friends,” he said with honesty.

“Just friends?” I asked with a brow raised.

“Just friends,” he repeated.

I took his hand in my own as he led us through the crowd, almost every eye glancing at us. His warmth travelled in my hand and soon enough, through my own body as I placed my left arm on his right shoulder blade before I cautiously placed the other on the opposite blade.

He lightly placed his hands on my waist as we moved slowly to the song. It was one of theirs, actually. The same song we sung almost two years previously, but it was with he and his brothers singing instead of his brothers and I.

A small gasped escaped me as the memories flooded my mind as though it were yesterday. Small chuckling escaped Nick as he did something I never expected him to do. He began humming the song in my ear, unintentionally pulling me closer to him. I wrapped my arms fully around his neck, my eyes closing to Nick’s voice.

I soon found myself singing the song in a low tone.

When you look me in the eyes
And tell me that you love me
Everything’s alright when you’re right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise when you look me in the eyes


I was surprised when Nick sung a little as the song came to an end.

Oooooh, oh

Surprisingly, I melted like a fan. Taken aback by my own thoughts, I cleared my throat, untangled my arms and began to walk away when Nick gently grabbed my arm.

“Where are you going?” he asked in a soft tone.

“I-I-I’m going to get some air,” I stammered, pulling out of his grasp.

He called my name a few times, but I ignored him, walking out onto the balcony which was empty. I ran a hand through my hair as I took a few deep breaths.

I must be crazy, my heart thumping like that. I’m a fan of their music, yeah, but I shouldn’t be feeling this way. I thought, holding a hand to my chest as my heart beat rapidly.

My phone vibrated. I pulled it out, checking it. I was surprised again to see it was a text from Miley.

I saw you dancing with Nick.

I quickly texted her back.

I’m sorry, but it was just a friend’s dance.

I took a deep breath just as someone came up behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder causing me to jump.

“Whoa, Sam, are you alright?” Joe asked, catching me off guard.

“Yeah. I thought you were-Nevermind,” I got out.

“So, you enjoyed your dance with the little bro?” Joe asked, lightly shoving into me.

“Yeah!-I mean, it was just friend’s dance, you know?” I tried, but Joe merely laughed.

“Yeah, I understand,” he said with a smile.

My phone rung so I pulled it out, staring at the name Mom flashing on the caller ID. I sighed, answering it immediately.

S: Hello?
M: *stern tone* Samantha, do you see what time it is?

I put her on mute as I talked to Joe.

“Joe, you got the time?” I asked.

“It’s like 10:30,” he answered easily. I unmuted her as I responded to her question.

S: Yes, I see the time, but-
M: Get home now! You have rehearsal and recording to do tomorrow so come home!
S: Mom, I’m almost 16!
M: Exactly my point! *click*

I stared at the phone, running a hand through my hair.

“I have to go,” I said in a sad tone.

“What? Why?” he asked in a surprised tone.

“My mom-she’s being difficult,” I said, remembering he didn’t know about the contract.

“Alright, well, I’ll get Kevin and Nick-,” he began, but I cut across him.

“Don’t. I don’t want them to worry or anything. I’ll see you guys another day,” I said quickly, calling my chauffeur to come and get me.

My mind began to race as I squeezed my way through the crowd somehow ending up outside. Suddenly, I heard a voice calling my name.

“Sam! Sam!” Nick called, following me to my car.

“Joe told me you had to go home,” he said as I continued walking, not slowing my pace, but I’d forgotten for a moment that he was taller than me.

“Its cause of my mom,” I answered.

“Why don’t you let me take you home?” he asked.

“Nick-,” I began, but he cut across me.

“Sam,” he said in the same tone.

I huffed a sigh as my car pulled up.

“Not this time, but thanks for being concerned,” I said politely.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him briefly before I pulled away. Just as I was about to open the door, Nick stopped me, opening the door himself. I glared at him before climbing in as he flashed me a smile.

“Be careful, Sam, alright?” he asked.

I nodded in return knowing he was only concerned. He shut the door behind me as we drove off. I looked back knowing he couldn’t see me, but what confused me had to be the fact that he stayed outside even until after we turned the corner.

What was he waiting on? I wondered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update!

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.