Beautiful Blood

Ch.3 Reality Check

I woke up the next morning in a cold sweat. I stared around my room bewildered.

‘’When did I get into my bed,’’ I thought aloud. I glanced over at my bedside table and realized I was late for school. ‘’Crap,’’ I said rushing to get dressed.

I ran to the garage only to find my car with a flattened tire. ”No, not my mustang, I just got that.’’ I cried. I looked at the clock that hung on the wall directly in front of me. First period had already begun. There was no since in rushing if I was already late so I turned back to my house. After calling my dad about the whole tire situation, He informed me that he was busy at work so I would have to walk to school or take the day off.

‘’Vanessa.’’ I stop when I heard my name whispered so close to my ear. I didn’t want to turn around and face my assumption; I didn’t get the chance either. He grabbed me pulling me into him. He wrapped his arms tight around my waist.

‘’Mark,’’ I said gasping in air.

‘’So you remember.’’ He whispered.

“How could I not remember the man who attacked me?”I said in a stiff voice.

“You make it seem like such a bad thing. You know you liked the way it felt.” He was still whispering his warm breathe sent a chill down my spine. “I’m no different from you. Really, the only reason you’re making such a big deal about this is because you’re the one being bitten.” He ran his hand along my shoulder and caressed my neck softly.

“In fact I could go for another taste right now.” I heard him take in a sharp breath, then his arms were gone from my body. Replaced by a pair I knew all too well.

“Keep your hands of my daughter.”

“Dad!” I squealed in relief.

“Aw, I see you’ve grown attached to my favorite little experiment, treating her as if she’s really your own flesh and blood. Well the time to play house is over. We need her back at the lab. It’s time for her to fulfill her destiny. Wouldn’t you agree Laura?’’

“Mom?” I questioned trying to see around my dad.

“He’s right Darnell. We’ve done all we can to raise her, to shield her from the truth. It’s time to let her go.”

“What’s going on here?” I asked.

No one answered. It was like I said nothing at all to them. just when I was about to go ballistic, Mark answered.

“I’m taking you home.” He said simply.

“I’m already here so your job is done.” I said clenching my teeth.

He smiled and shook his as if talking to a naïve child he spoke slowly. “No Vanessa I’m taking you to your real home the place you were born. Don’t you want to meet your parents?”

Was he trying to bribe me these outrageous falsehoods?”I don’t care what you say I’m not leaving, this is my home these are my parents whether we’re related by blood or not I don’t care.

“Funny you said that, because I have someone here that’s covered in blood.” Mark smiled as he disappeared; he reappeared just as quickly with a girl in his arms. A girl I recognized immediately.

“NIKKI!” I shouted trying to break free of my father’s now restraining grasp.

“Let her go she has nothing to do with this!” I was still yelling.

Mark smiled. “My sweet, sweet, naïve, little Vanessa. She has everything to do with this. You see she’s your little sister. She is one of us. Although her blood doesn’t taste as good as yours.” He licked his lips and I noticed for the first time the blood that stained them.