Beautiful Blood

Ch.5 You’re not really a vampire

I awoke on guard expecting a cold hard table beneath me but no I was reclined in a soft and warm lazy boy recliner. I looked around this can’t be the same place I woke up in last time can it? But it was there entered Veronica with what seemed like her standard question.

“Hello Vanessa. How are you feeling? Would you like some blood?” The whole time she spoke she kept a fake smile plastered on her face. She reminded me of the women in an exercise video who keep on smiling trying to inspire you, making it look easy. Even though that only serves to piss you off.

“I had no clue how to answer so instead I asked, “Where am I?”

”A more important question would be what am I.” Mark said as he approached.

“Are you serious? I already know what I am, I’m a half vampire.” I said letting a hint of annoyance creep into my voice.

“Yes well that is true and yet false at the same time.” He inquired.

“What are you trying to say?” I asked my annoyance growing.

“I fear this could get ugly. Veronica would you mind leaving us alone, please?”

“Yes, Mark.” she replied bowing to him like he was some sort of king.

“You see Vanessa,” He began, “While it is true that you are partly human, you are not a vampire.”

“What do you mean I’m not a vampire? If I’m not then what am I? What are you? What is

Nikki? And why do I drink blood? Blood, Mark, human blood!”

“That has yet to be determined.” He answered thoughtfully. “Our scientists have not yet discovered what cause our vampiric traits namely our desire to drink human blood they thought it would be suppressed by our human genes. But they are getting closer. As for what we are. We are three of many experiments to extend human life.”

“Wait so there are only three of us?” I asked.

“Yes, you, Nikki, and I are the only three survivors.”

“There were others?”

He nodded. “Sadly they all died soon after the vampiric gene was implanted in them.”

“What the hell. I don’t remember have any genes implanted in me.” I argued.

“How would you? It was done before you were born.”

“Before I was born?” I whispered.

“Your mother, all of our mother absorbed the shock of the gene implantation. The loss of our mother lives was the very sacrifice that allowed us to survive. We were all delivered by c section and placed with adoptive parents who knew what we were. Their only job was to raise and protect is until we were needed to carry out our mission. Any refusal to comply would result in their immediate execution.”

“So if vampires don’t exist then what was my dad? What about my mother did she know about this, about me? And what is our mission?” I had so many questions and not enough answers.

“I never said Vampires did not exist I just said you were not one of them. And yes your father was one of them, as for your mother she knew, all of them did. They all believed that by sacrificing themselves they were helping the world, but that sacrifice was in vain they only served to make it worse. They created us, and we are monster mere tools for the government, their pets.” He grew angrier with each word he spoke I could almost feel the electricity of his anger in the air.

“You still haven’t answered my question. What is our mission?” I asked again with more force.

“We are humanoid weapons. Our mission is to wipe out anyone who opposes our master, in other words we are to destroy the world as we know it.”