Status: Not as Popular as I hoped, but as long as at least one person likes it, I will continue to post it.

Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly

Well that makes me a dumb human...

The next few moments happened very quickly, Kurt couldn't remember a lot of them, he just blacked out in pain, and despair. Kurt had ran to Blaine's side, the first thing on Kurt's mind was, is he alive? Is he breathing? Will I ever see him again? Blaine was breathing, but barely. His heartbeat was way too fast to be healthy.

Kurt wasn't joking when he told Blaine that he would burn a million of his favorite shirts on the stake if it meant Blaine was going to be okay, and it held true as Kurt was wearing a rather expensive Marc Jacobs shirt, the blood that came from Blaine's mouth was soon all over it. Kurt held Blaine's bloody face in his hand, cradling him to his chest, "it's okay, baby." he whispered, pulling out his phone, "I'm here, wake up. Please, I'll never let you go. Ever." he promised. Kurt loved Blaine more than life itself, nothing, no matter hope strong or terrifying, could ever break them apart, Kurt wouldn't allow it. The universe couldn't hate him enough to take the only person he has ever truly loved, could it?

Kurt's fingers fumbled with the cell phone touch screen and eventually managed to click the emergency call button. "I-I need an a-ambulance to D-Dalton Academy, room number 394, third building."

"What happened? Sir, calm down and tell me what happened." first Kurt was surprised they knew he was a boy, but then he realized, Dalton was an all boys school. The operator spoke slowly, giving him time.

"M-my boyfriend, he c-collapsed, he's been sick and h-h-has trouble b-b-breathing. H-his heartbeat is really fast and he isn't b-breathing very well. P-p-please c-c-come as soon as you c-can." he slurred his words, he was speaking like he had been drinking a lot of caffeine. He held Blaine's head in his hands, kissing the boy's head, "Please Blaine, wake up." he was whispering. After the operator assured him that the ambulance was on its' way, Kurt called Wes.

"Whadoyouant?" muttered a sleepy Wes on the fourth ring. "Wes come quickly." said Kurt with stamper over the phone, "Blaine collapsed and the blood oh the blood, please, we need to get him outside an ambulance is coming. We need to . Help me, please help me." Kurt whispered into the phone, Wes seemed to understand the urgency. "Alright, Kurt, calm down. I'll be there in a few minutes." he said and the phone line went dead. Kurt sat on the floor, tears streaming down his cheeks as he looked down at his boyfriend, the man he said he would marry. Blaine wasn't moving, his chest moving only slightly and Kurt just cradled his head in his hands. "Blaine, please, please just move. Squeeze my hand if you can hear me, just move a finger Blaine. One finger."

Wes soon walked in with David next to him, Kurt didn't remember unlocking it. Awes looked at Blaine worrringly, Kurt was cradling Blaine's head in his hands. "Help me carry him." Wes said to David, kurt nodded, "We need to get him to the ambulance." he informed softly, tears still rolling down his cheek. David wraped his arms around Blaine's torso, while Wes got Blaine's feet. Blaine was too muscular for onl one of them to carry him. Kurt supported Blaine's head as they made their way out of the room. Being on the third floor, they had to use the elevator to get to the first floor, Kurt was just whispering to Blaine, to wake up and be okay.

"Kurt!" snapped Wes, "The only thing talking with achieve is us not being able to get him help."

Kurt looked like he had just been slapped, muttered something about Wes not knowing anything, but stayed silent for the rest of the walk. It was about five minutes before they could successfully get Blaine downstairs, seconds after they arrived, the ambulance did. Police and paramedics helped Blaine into the back on a stretcher, Kurt walked to follow him into the ambulance but was stopped by a police officer, "Mr. Hummel?" he asked, Kurt nodded, his clothes and hands blood-stained, his hair a mess, Kurt wrapped his arms around his chest.

The officer led him to the side of the road, "What happened?"

"Blaine had been sick, throwing up and running a small fever, if it got any worse, I would have taken him to the hospital. He was sleeping tonight, so I decided to wait until the morning." Kurt took a deep breath. "I woke up to Blaine throwing up, I got up and saw Blaine sitting by the toilet, I helped him up to take him to the hospital. He stopped and coughed up blood then collapsed." he talked quickly, as calmly as possible, but there was nothing he could do to keep his voice from shaking. The officer nodded, "Any previous history of illness?"

"He has asthma, his father raped him half a year ago, since then he has had issues with his lungs."

The officer nodded again, his face complacent, "Have you ever hit or abused Mr. Anderson?"

Kurt looked at him horrified, "No!" his jaw had dropped, "I couldn't do that." The officer nodded, not convinced, "Would you be prepared to take a polygraph test?"

Kurt nodded, "Absolutely." he said softly, "Now can I see my fiancee, or are you going to accuse me of raping him instead of his damned father!" The officer looked taken aback by Kurt's sudden attitude, but nodded and backed away slightly. Kurt stomped to his car but Wes stopped him before he could open his door, Kurt realized that he was in no condition to drive all the way to the hospital in Westerville. "Wes, will you drive me?" he asked. Wes nodded and put his hand on Kurt's shoulder. "Call your dad and tell him what happened. I'll stay with you until Mr. Hummel gets there."

"You don't have to do this, Wes." said Kurt, pulling out his phone.

"I want to." said Wes kindly and took Kurt's keys from him.

Kurt moved to the passenger side and got in without complaint. Burt Hummel answered the phone one the fifth ring with a sleepy, "'ullo?"

"Dad, Blaine is in the hospital. I really need you to come." Kurt was once again on the verge of tears, surprised at his dad's quick remark. "I'll be there in an hour." Kurt's hands were shaking as he turned the phone off and sat in the quiet car, putting on his seat belt with shaky hands. Wes reached over to grab Kurt's shoulder, not at all in a gay way, after all, Wes had a girlfriend, but more of a comforting way. "Blaine is a fighter, Kurt. He will be fine. He has gone through shit, just like you have, and he loves you. He really does, if you could hear the way he talks about you to the Warblers. It's disgusting." Wes laughed lightly but decided that wasn't the best idea and just looked at Kurt, "Blaine wouldn't leave you." he promised and started the car up, backing out of the parking space.

Kurt looked out of the window and closed his eyes, another tear falling down. "They think I did it, they think I made him sick." he whispered, "I wouldn't do that, Wes. I love him, just because I'm gay doesn't mean I do that." he pulled his knees to his chest and took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "I wouldn't do that."

"I know Kurt, I know. It's a five minute drive. But I'm not letting you see him until you've calmed down."

Kurt looked at Wes, sending him a look with the equivalent of, I'd like to see you try to restrain me, but Wes just shook his head. "You're a mess, Kurt. You aren't going to help him like this."
Kurt nodded and looked out the window once more, "This is miserable for me, Wes. I'm sorry." he whispered.

Wes nodded, but remained silent for the rest of the drive.

This week would not be good, it seemed.

.

.

.

.

.

Kurt walked into the Warbler's room and sat down in silence, some of the boys gave him a pat on the back, or encouraging words, and he just took a deep breath.

"Our hearts are all out to Blaine," began Wes softly, "Who is still in a coma," all of the boys looked at Kurt, some crying themselves, "but now we need to give Kurt encouragement. Kurt, you wanted to sing something?"

Kurt nodded slowly and stood up, "I don't ask for much." he said softly, all of the boys quiet, "But I would like to express myself the best I can. That's through song. I'm going to break my habit of singing the Beatles, and sing and Avril Lavigne song." he gave the CD to Josh who silently put it in the player. Kurt took a deep breath and wiped his eyes free of his tears.

"I always needed time on my own
I never thought I'd need you there when I cry."

Everyone was silent as tears began to stream down Kurt's eyes, he didn't have to sob for them to know how much Blaine meant to him. He loved Blaine, more than life itself, and to know he was sick, to know he might not wake up...
"And the days feel like years when I'm alone,
And the bed where you lie is made up on your side"

Kurt couldn't help but to think of Crookshanks, forever there on Blaine's side of the bed, mewing pitifully when Kurt walked by because Blaine wasn't there to cuddle with.

"When you walk away I count the steps that you take,
Do you see how much I need you right now."

"When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you.
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too.
When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day and make it okay...
I miss you."

Kurt never missed someone as much as he missed Blaine at those moments, when Blaine wasn't there to spread his contagious laugh across the room and dance on furniture theatrically.

"I've never felt this way before
Everything that I do reminds me of you.
And the clothes you left, they lie on the floor
And they smell just like you, I love the things that you do.

When you walk away I count the steps that you take.
Do you see how much I need you right now.

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you.
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too.
When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day and make it okay...
I miss you.

We were made for each other
Out here forever.
I know we were, yeah
All I ever wanted was for you to know.
Everything I'd do, I'd give my heart and soul
I can hardly breathe I need to feel you here with me, yeah.

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you.
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too.
When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day and make it okay...
I miss you."

Kurt finished singing, but he could barely get the note out for the last I miss you, he was crying, hard. One of the boys, Nick he thought, came up to Kurt and wrapped his arms around him, "We all miss him." Nick whispered and brought Kurt to the couch, to sit down. When Kurt finally looked up, almost every single boy's eyes were wet, and they were wiping them away quickly.

"I just expect him to come running through the door and start some obnoxious song." he said softly.

Kurt was sitting on the bed next to Blaine, holding his hand. The doctor came in, a young woman who was a new attending at the hospital, she smiled kindly at Kurt, who with tear-stricken eyes did not return the gesture.

"You must really love him." she said, a conversation starter. She didn't seem disgusted at all by the concept of him loving Blaine, even if he was gay.

"I do." he whispered, "I really do."

Blaine's eyes opened and he groaned a bit, "Where..." he whispered, the doctor smiled and took out a chart, "Hi, Blaine." she said softly, "I'm Dr. Andrews, and I am your doctor. You had Legionnaire's Disease, but with antibiotics, and a lot of breathing treatments we got the disease under control. You've only been in the hospital two days." she informed, "This one refused to leave your side."

Blaine chuckled and coughed some, "Yeah, he's a worrier." he stated, fondness in his voice. However, the beeping of the machine showed he was anything but fine.

"honey? Are you okay?" he asked, standing up and gripping his hand. Blaine sat up, breathing in deeply and the doctor, Dr. Andrews took out her stethoscope and found spots on Blaine's lower back to check, listening closely while watching the monitor. Blaine coughed violently and Dr. Andrews took out the stethoscope, "What's happening!" shouted Kurt as she put her hand on Blaine's back, tapping it with her fingers. "It's a pleural effusion." she explained, "It's fluid in the lungs," she was rather calm about it, "Someone will put a tube in his side, to his lungs, to drain out the fluid, he's had pneumonia, so it isn't uncommon to have this happen. "Come on Kurt," she said as a few more doctors came in, "They will take care of him, you need a good state of mind." she informed and took Kurt out of the room, "I'll buy you a coffee."

"You don't need to do this, you're a doctor, I'm just a patient's overprotective boyfriend." he informed, "Do you take each worried boyfriend or girlfriend or spouse to coffee?" he asked, trying to not start crying.

"I get coffee free, and your case is pretty interesting, and I like you, Kurt. I feel bad for the things you've had to do, I just want to talk." she said.

Kurt nodded slowly, he walked with her and took a deep breath as she led him to a small table, she ordered two black coffees and Kurt nodded slowly, his head pounding, the thought of losing Blaine, seeing him so scared, so alone. He took a deep breath and looked up at her, she was pitying him, she was sympathizing with him.

"How did you and Blaine meet?" she asked softly, reaching over to take his hand.

"School... sort of, I was spying for a rival show choir, and I was being bullied at my school, so I just went. And then I saw him and it was kind of love at first sight... for me at least. And soon enough I transferred over here, to Dalton Academy." he informed.

She nodded, "How did you fall in love?" she asked, just asking these very personal questions, but Kurt didn't care. He wanted someone to talk to.

"Over song, kind of." he said softly, laughing softly to himself, "He would always get the leads in songs because he has this beautiful, addicting voice when he sings. I fell in love with him over Teenage Dream, he has a thing for Katy Perry. And he fell in love with my over Blackbird by the Beatles." he said softly. "And then everything fell into place." he informed softly, looking at his hands.

Dr. Andrews looked at him with a soft smile, "I fell in love with my wife over coffee." she said and Kurt looked up at her, a new respect forming in his eyes. That's why she didn't look at him with disgust, that's why she was so kind. She was like them, she understood.

"I'm going to take great care of your boyfriend, Kurt. Blaine is in good hands, nothing will happen to him. I never promise good outcomes, but I can promise that you are in the best hands, and I will do everything in my power to make damn sure, Blaine is okay."

Kurt smiled softly, and felt a tear fall from his face, their coffees arrived and he wrapped his fingers around the coffee, "I miss him, I miss knowing he's alright. I just... I fucking hate that his father was so cruel, how could anyone be that damn cruel." he hissed and put his head in his hands. He rarely used swear words, but he couldn't do it anymore.

Dr. Andrews seemed to understand and just smiled softly at him, "You are going to live a long, happy life with Blaine. Pneumonia won't kill him." she informed, "Not when he has someone like you." she said and Kurt couldn't even force a smile.

"You said it yourself, you can't promise anything." he whispered, and looked at his coffee, beginning to put way too much sugar in it, and way too much milk. He stirred it, needing something to do with his hands, "how about we go back in." she said and put her hand on Kurt's shoulder, "He'll be fine." she said softly and took her coffee, walking back to the hallway. Kurt took a deep breath and took his own, very sugary coffee and walked back into the room where Blaine was, sitting down and taking his hand. Blaine was asleep again and Kurt just sat there, Burt walked in, he had just gotten off of work, and put his hand on Kurt's shoulder, "Come on son, you need sleep." he said, but Kurt shook his head. "Can you drive over to Dalton and get my schoolwork?" he asked softly, "and, Blaine's? We need to start working on it when he wakes up." Burt, knowing better than to contradict his son at this point, just held out his hand and Kurt put the keys in his hand, and Burt pat his shoulder a moment before leaving. No one knew what to say to Kurt anymore, but Kurt didn't mind, he liked the quiet, hearing the monitor telling him Blaine was still there, very much alive. Kurt rested his head on Blaine's bed, next to Blaine's chest and began to talk, "I want to have a big wedding." he said, his hand still in Blaine's, "A really big one, either in a church, if you want, or maybe on a beach, it doesn't matter to me. It will be magical as long as you're there." he whispered. "We will have kids, I'm not sure how many, but we will have them. I want one of them to be biologically yours though, I can't live without seeing a little you, running around with all of those little curls set free." he teased to his unconscious boyfriend, "I do want a little girl though, one from China, because they put a lot of little girls in foster care and orphanages, I want our little girl to know she is loved." he informed. Blaine's hand flexed on Kurt's and Kurt smiled softly at Blaine.

"Ella." whispered Blaine and Kurt looked up at him, "what?" he asked, more tears falling down his face. "Our little girl... her name... Ella." he murmured, his head turning so he looked at Kurt. Kurt put his hand over his mouth and nodded, tears welling up. "Ella it is." he whispered, "and you will be the most loving, amazing, caring Daddy in the world."

The smile and the laugh coming from Blaine assured Kurt that Blaine would be just fine. "Not as good as you." Blaine said and smiled at Kurt, tears coming to his own eyes.

"I was so scared." said Kurt throatily, moving to kiss Blaine on the head, "I missed you so much, if anything, anything was to go wrong..."

"No, no Kurt. Don't talk like that." said Blaine lightly, moving a hand that was connected to machines, to Kurt's face. "I would never leave you, Kurt."

Tears streamed down Kurt's face and he looked at Blaine, Blaine looked at him oddly, "Wait. She said it's been three days." he said.

"It was November 7th, now it's November 10th?" he asked.

Kurt nodded slowly.

Blaine smiled softly and made Kurt bend down for a kiss, "Happy Birthday, Kurt." he whispered and held Kurt's hand tightly, "I love you."

Kurt just began to cry even harder, "Our birthdays, suck." he said and began to laugh despite himself, Blaine soon began to laugh lightly as well. "They really do." laughed Blaine softly and looked over at Kurt, "I love you." he said again and Kurt leaned over to kiss Blaine on the lips, "I love you too." he said softly.

Carol walked in and smiled at the two, "Burt will be back soon with the things you asked for Kurt." said Carol lightly, she bent over to kiss Kurt's head, "Happy Birthday." she said, "and because it is your birthday, I'm not going to bother you about going home. Obviously you wouldn't leave." she said seeing their hands. Kurt smiled and Blaine perked up, "We're going to have cake right?" he asked and looked at Carol with wide hopeful eyes, "I can have cake right?" he asked and Kurt just smiled at him, "of course you can have cake, honey." he whispered. Carol kissed Blaine's forehead and then Kurt's head again and said, "I'll see you guys later." she left them alone soon after.

Kurt sat down next to Blaine and smiled softly, but soon sighed and looked at him, "Your trial is in four days, Blaine. And they said you'd be out in time." he informed softly, but Blaine just shook his head, "Let's not worry about that Kurt, let's worry about what to get the man who has everything." he said softly, "What do you want for your birthday. I can take you to a Broadway show. Maybe I'll take you to see Wicked in New York." he mused. Kurt just caressed his cheek, "I got the best birthday present, Blaine. You woke up today, you are okay. That is all the birthday present I need."

Blaine smiled, "but something materialistic, what do you want?"

Kurt looked at him, "You to be able to kiss me on New Years." said Kurt lightly, "That's all I want."

Blaine looked up at his boyfriend, "Can I do better?" he teased and brought Kurt's lips to his own. Kurt smiled softly and looked down at Blaine, "I love you." he whispered and put his head on Blaine's chest.

"Never scare me like this again." he whispered softly, caressing Blaine's cheek with his finger, Blaine moved his face closer to Kurt's fingers, "I'll do my best."

.

.

.

Kurt looked over at Blaine, who for the first time was walking out of the hospital with Kurt on his arm. Kurt put his hand over Blaine's and smiled lightly at him, "We have a lot of schoolwork to work on." he informed and looked down at Blaine who shrugged lightly. Blaine looked up at Kurt and moved to kiss him lightly, his arms wrapping around Kurt's neck. Kurt kissed him back but soon moved back away, "Not right here," he whispered noting how it was broad daylight and they were in a hospital parking lot.

"M'kay." muttered Blaine and kissed him again before letting Kurt lead him to the car. Kurt just smiled softly at Blaine, but it was resolved with a sigh. He got in the driver's side, and took Blaine's hand, smiling softly, "I love you, Blaine." he whispered.

"Mhmmm, loveyato."

Kurt smiled softly but took a deep sigh, "Your trial is tomorrow,"

"No, just kiss me again, I don't want to talk about that."

"Blaine, we need to talk about i-"

"I said no, Kurt. I don't want to talk about it."

"Blaine, dammit, listen to me." said Kurt sternly, pulling the car to the side and turning to Blaine, "We've gone through a lot of crap, but we've done it together. We need to do this together as well, Blaine. You need to talk with me."

Blaine swallowed softly and looked at Kurt, "I love you." he whispered, taking Kurt's hand, "I can't say that enough, I really can't. You've been through so much and you're still here. I don't know what I would do without you. But I don't want to talk about this. It hurts, Kurt. It makes me feel bad and I hate feeling this way, feeling useless, pathetic. You deserve so much more than me, Kurt. So much more."

Kurt just looked at him, "Blaine, stop talking like this." he took Blaine's hand tightly, "Blaine, I love you more than anyone can ever imagine. I love everything about you, I love the way you look at me like I'm the only person in this world. I love the way you speak Italian fluently and how sexy it sounds, I love your eyes, your lips, the way your lips taste. Even how you act when you're drunk."

Blaine looked up at him then looked down taking a deep breath.

"I'm going to see him, I'm going to have to remember, what am I going to do? Will you be there? Up at the stand with me?" Blaine knew the answer, even as Kurt shook his head, "Blaine..." whispered Kurt, "I'll be there, but I can't stand up there, holding your hand. I'll be in the crowd, if you need anything, all you need to do is look at me. I'll be there." he whispered and caressed Blaine's face gently.

"Alright..."
♠ ♠ ♠
I swear- I title my chapters based on the song I'm listening to at the moment. Human- Darren Criss. 'nuff said.