Status: Not as Popular as I hoped, but as long as at least one person likes it, I will continue to post it.

Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly

The Best I Ever Had

"It's only seven-thirty. The trial starts at 8:30, I can just... not show up." Blaine was muttering to himself under his breath, unluckily for him Kurt heard. Kurt straightened Blaine's tie, long, black and simple. "Stop thinking like this, Blaine." said Kurt gently, straightening his boyfriend's suit. "Stop squirming before I give up and tickle you." Kurt was trying to make Blaine laugh, even a little bit. He went through so much, and to see Blaine so broken down. It killed Kurt. Once Blaine's suit was finished, Kurt cupped Blaine's cheek gently in his hand before kissing him lightly on the lips.
"Your hands are soft." whispered Blaine as Kurt pulled away. Smiling gently Kurt put both hands on Blaine's face, maybe it would calm him down more. Blaine's rougher hands slid over Kurt's soft ones and Blaine sighed, "I love you."
"I love you too, you know, Mr. Anderson, flattery gets you everywhere." he teased but began to be serious once more. "I will drive you, Dad and Carol are in their car, and Finn isn't coming." he informed. "Neither is anyone from the Glee club at McKinley, personal request from me that they don't. Wes and David however, didn't give me the choice." he informed, looking at Blaine tentatively, Blaine seemed relatively calm. Kurt knew though, by looking into Blaine's eyes, Blaine was freaking out.
Burt poked his head through the door, "Boys? It's time."
Kurt nodded and took a deep breath, looking into Blaine's eyes, "I'm so proud of you, Blaine." he whispered, taking Blaine's hand in his own, "Nothing will convince me that you aren't perfect." he continued.
Blaine waited until Burt was down the hall before wrapping his arms around Kurt tightly, "Don't ever leave me." he whispered pitifully, and Kurt nodded. "I promise." he said and kissed Blaine's cheek. "Let's go." he said wrapping his arm around Blaine's torso and leading him downstairs.
Blaine walked slowly with Kurt, his feet dragging and Kurt looked at him, "Let's go. Come on." he said encouragingly. He opened the door for Blaine and let him get in the car slowly, before closing it and walking to the drivers side. When he got in and started the car, he pulled out of the parking lot. Blaine's head was resting on the window and Kurt just grabbed his hand, the car ride silent, the radio wasn't playing. It wouldn't help anyway, Blaine just needed space. It was thirty minutes before they got to the courtroom. Kurt found a parking place and looked over at Blaine, "I'm always close." he promised, getting out of the car and moving around to open the car door for Blaine, "Come on." he held out his hand and waited for Blaine to grasp it,
When Blaine finally took his hand and got out of the car, they walked to the front, where Blaine's mother was standing, a cigarette between her fingers.
She was a tall woman with keen blue eyes, her brown hair died with Blonde highlights, she was clearly Filipino "You little shit." she sneered as Blaine walked by. Kurt felt Blaine tense up and take a deep breath.
She continued, her voice harsh and cruel, "Never could keep your ungrateful mouth shut, now you're about to have your father put in jail. Are you happy? You worthle-"
"Stop." It was Kurt who spoke, Blaine was close to tears, backing slowly away from his mother.
"Excuse me?"
"I told you to stop talking." Kurt's voice was lower than normal, his eyes vindictive. "You have been nothing but cruel to your son ever since he told you he was gay." Kurt took Blaine's hand and looked at her, "I don't think it's you either, I think your husband abused you as well, and you're afraid of him."
Mrs. Anderson was about to speak but Kurt cut her off, "No, you don't get a say in this. That thing you call Blaine's father, he is about to go to jail, and I will personally make it known that we want a restraining order when he gets out. Your son is a spectacular person, he is loved by everyone who sees him, he has superb grades, the best manors in the world. In spite of everything you have done to him, he is perfect." Kurt stepped back lightly, "You will never see your grandchildren, you will never see Blaine get married, even if it isn't to me. I don't know about Blaine, but as long as I am with him, you won't go near him." Kurt didn't yell. In fact, he spoke soft as to not make a scene, "We want nothing to do with you."
Blaine pulled on Kurt's hand lightly, "Come on, Kurt." he breathed, not wanting to speak.
"I hope you are pleased with everything you've done. Your son got raped because you wouldn't stand up for him."
Kurt led Blaine into the courtroom silently, almost fuming. He did take one look back and was proud to see that Mrs. Anderson was taking a tissue out of her bag and wiping her eyes. Maybe he hit a nerve and she would understand. This didn't mean in any way that he was going to go back on his word. As long as he was Blaine's fiancee, Blaine wasn't having anything to do with the woman. She was not invited to the wedding, she would not see their children, nothing.
Kurt and Blaine moved over to take their seats, Blaine looked scared, pitiful, it hurt Kurt to see the man he loved so afraid, so vulnerable. Kurt rubbed Blaine's arm lightly, normally they didn't show so much affection in public, but this was a special occasion; Kurt sighed and wound his fingers through Blaine's.
Burt and Carol walked over, Carol sitting on the other side of Blaine and Burt next to Carol, "Are you ready, sweetheart?" asked Carol, putting her hand on Blaine's shoulder gently.
Blaine took a deep breath and looked at Kurt, then Carol, "No." he whispered, "Yes... I don't know..."
Kurt sighed a bit, "It will be okay." he whispered earnestly to Blaine, "I promise, they will never hurt you again, never as long as I am alive."
Blaine didn't seem very convinced so Kurt looked at him, "When we get home, I'll pop some popcorn, we can cuddle on the bed and watch a medley of Disney and Christmas story until we fall asleep." he offered, squeezing Blaine's hand. "Or we can watch a Star Wars marathon. I noticed your collection and grabbed it when we were getting your stuff." he informed.
Blaine couldn't help but laugh lightly at that, "You got me. I love Star Wars." he informed, "Especially Chewy." he chuckled.
The back door opened and two police came out, escorting a man to the defense stand. He was well cleaned, short, well groomed hair, a navy blue suit with a black tie, and eyes that matched Blaine's. Blaine hardened immediately, and Kurt took his hand again, "It will be okay, Blaine." he whispered under his breath.
"All rise." the command was loud and Blaine was at the point where he was shaking violently. Kurt was afraid that Blaine wouldn't be able to testify against Mr. Anderson. Kurt helped Blaine to stand, Carol had a motherly supportive hand on Blaine's shoulder.
"You may be seated."
Kurt and Blaine sat down quickly, Blaine seemed to have just fallen into his seat.
"Court is in session. This is Blaine Everett Anderson against William Michael Anderson for rape and ongoing child abuse. How do you plea, Mr. Anderson?"
"Not guilty." stated the man, a clear lie that was obvious to Kurt, and Blaine stiffened. He had hoped that his father would plea guilty and jut get jail time.
"Call the first witness to the stage, please."
This was it.
"Blaine Everett Anderson."
Kurt let go of Blaine's hand and Blaine took a deep breath, standing up, he was terrified. He had to face his father, he had to testify against his father.
"Mr. Anderson, what is your relationship to this man?" the attorney pointed to Blaine's father.
"He is my father." stated Blaine dryly, keeping the response short so they wouldn't hear the shaking in his voice.
"How well is your relationship with your father, Blaine. Do you mind if I call you Blaine?"
"It is fine." said Blaine quickly, "My relationship with my father is stressed, to say the least." he informed lightly, his eyes not leaving Kurt.
"Was this the first time your father has beaten you?"
"No."
"elaborate please."
"Ever since I was fourteen, father began to bear me. He would get drunk at party at work and come home screaming at me, how I was a disappointment and how he wished I was never born." Blaine's voice was steady, he was trying to be detached, but his hand was squeezing the bench for support.
"Why did this only start at fourteen?"
"Because I told him I was gay, he thought if he beat me enough he could beat the gay out of me."
There were a few gasps throughout the hall and Kurt's eyes welled with tears.
"Do you have a boyfriend, Blaine?"
"Yes."
"Has he met your father before?"
"once, my father didn't speak much, and my mother insulted me."
"How often did your father beat you?"
"Often. At least twice a month, sometimes twice a week."
The attorney nodded.
'Blaine, tell us in your words, what happened that night?"
"I got home from spending time with my boyfriend and went to my room, about an hour later my father came home. I had a test the next day so I was studying. He called for me and he seemed drunk which wasn't unheard of really, so I didn't answer him and just did my work. He called out my name again, walking up the stairs and then he opened my door. I asked him what he wanted and he hit me. I tried to get up and walk out but he had a stick in his hands. I dunno where he got it from, but he hit me with it. I remember there was blood, but I was too scared to register that it hurt a lot, and I think I screamed at him, my mother stood at the door and watched, I think she was... I think she was egging him on. She liked it." he swallowed dryly and looked down, but when he looked up he reached Kurt's eyes. "He... I fell into the bed, I remember there was a lot more blood at that time, and I couldn't feel my arm, there was a pain and he was on top of me, then a blow to my head and... I don't remember anything else. After that I woke up in the hospital to the doctors telling me I was raped, and they identified... father."
Blaine looked at Kurt again, who was crying but wiped his tears and nodded at Blaine, mouthing, 'I'm proud of you'.
"It was my birthday." realized Blaine aloud and took a deep breath.
"Thank you Blaine,"
All around him were stunned, astonished people. "What you see here," the attorney, Mr. Gilbert began, "Was a boy, an eighteen year old boy who got raped and abused by his father.Ask his family, friends, and teachers and they will tell you that Blaine Anderson is a boy who is quiet, respectable, with good grades and great manors. Blaine. You can have a seat now."
Carol hugged Blaine tightly, tears streaming down her face while Kurt just held his hand tightly.
"I call Kurt Hummel to the stand."
Kurt smiled softly at Blaine before standing and walking quietly to the stand."
"What is your relationship to Blaine Anderson?"
"I am his boyfriend."
"How did you mean Blaine?"
"I got bullied a lot at my old school, I was visiting Dalton Academy to check out the competition for show choir. I met Blaine, the lead for their show choir, and he was the first person to be nice to me. Even after he knew I was gay, he didn't care, he was too. He saw me as nothing more than a person. Soon after that I transferred to Dalton."
"Have you and Blaine ever had sex?"
Kurt looked at him oddly, "No... how does this have anything to do with the trial?" he asked softly.
The attorney smiled, "So you two have the same type of relationship as any straight, celibate couple?"
"Yes."
There was a mutter throughout the hall, but it died down.
"Have you had a boyfriend before Blaine?"
"No, I was the only openly gay boy at my school."
"I see. Now Blaine said that night was his birthday. Did you do anything?" The attorney began to walk around, moving his hands lightly as he spoke.
"Yes, we ate my step-mother's homemade pizza and watched Disney movies , I think we watched Winnie the Pooh." Kurt thought for a moment, "and then Blaine went home."
"You were the one to find him, Blaine, you called the police. Am I right?"
"Yes, that is correct."
"Will you tell us about that morning?"
"I drove to his house, I was going to pick him up on the way to school like I do most mornings." Began Kurt with a slow breath, "I noticed that when I got there his parents weren't home, which was odd because normally they were still sleeping when Blaine left the house to go to school." Kurt looked up and saw Carol comforting Blaine, it should have been Kurt to comfort him. "When I got to the door it was open. Like, cracked open, so when I knocked on it, it sprang open. I remember thinking to myself, this is like every horror movie where I scream to the main character to turn around and run as fast as they can. But that was fiction, right? It wouldn't happen to me, not to my family, to my boyfriend." Kurt chuckled darkly and looked down, before looking back up to the people around him. "and even if it was real, that was Blaine in there, that was the man whom I would marry if he asked. That was even more so, Blaine is my best friend. So I'm terrified at this point, I don't want him to be hurt, I don't want him to be dead, I just want to be able to see his smiling face and to know he is okay. So I called Blaine's name, this was surreal, you know?" Kurt turned to the attorney, "Have you ever loved someone so altruistically, I was prepared to walk into that house, that creepy house and let whatever monster was in there take me instead of Blaine. Anyone but Blaine, you know?" Kurt sighed a bit, "Anyway, I didn't get an answer, so my heart started to race, was he okay? I kept calling his name as I walked slowly up the stairs, going towards his room. Anything after that, I just wanted Blaine to be okay. When I got to his room, when I looked inside the open door..." Kurt's voice broke and his hands started to shake, "It was horrible." Kurt has blocked the memory so well, and it all came flooding back to him, he wiped off the tear that had escaped his lashes. "The first thing I noticed was the blood, there was so much blood, I think I knew it was Blaine's before I saw him. Because you just know those things. Then I saw him, I just, I didn't know what to think. He was clothed, but he was in a pool of blood. But his clothes were in disarray, like someone had messed them up and put them back on in a hurry. I knew it, I knew he had been raped because the way he was laying, and his body was just so... mangled. I don't think I've ever cried so hard as when they told me he was in a coma and didn't know if he would wake up." Kurt looked at Blaine, who had his hand over his mouth. "I remember going up to him and just holding him, checking for a heart beat, making sure he was breathing, alive." Tears were streaming readily out of Kurt's eyes, "I called the police and just sat with him. I didn't let him go, only when the police questioned me, and I answered his questions and went to see him."
"That is all."
Kurt nodded and wiped his eyes, the judge was looking at Kurt, a tear falling from her eyes. "A ten minute break is in order. I think we all need it."
Kurt walked shakily back to Blaine who was standing quickly.
Kurt wrapped his arms around Blaine immediately, they just stood together like that, Blaine's arms snaking around Kurt's waist. They got a few pats on the back, and a few "I'm sorry"s. Wes soon came up, "Hey you guys." he chuckled and Kurt and Blaine broke apart. Wes gave Blaine a tight, brotherly hug. David gave Kurt a pat on the back, "That took serious guts, man." said David. "I'm proud of you two."
Wes half-hugged Kurt, "You two need caffeine, and knowing Blaine's dependance of coffee, he's going through all kinds of withdrawal."
Blaine chuckled and took Kurt's hand, Kurt and Blaine looked at each other, Kurt nodded a bit and Blaine smiled softly. He loved Kurt with everything he had. The feeling was mutual.
They walked towards the coffee stand and Wes ordered for the four of them, he knew their coffee orders because he would get coffee for the Warblers after practice sometimes.
Kurt and Blaine walked close together, never more than a foot away from each other, as they sat with their coffees, Kurt put his head on Blaine's shoulder and Blaine leaned closer to Kurt, his thumb running over Kurt's knuckles.
They talked about simple things, Warbler songs, schoolwork, sec, embarrassing each other, but as the ten minutes passed, they had to get up and go back to court. To live through the Hell for longer.
Kurt and Blaine were about to sit together for the remainder of the trial, it made things a lot easier for them.
The defense lawyer, for some reason hadn't talked much during the entire space of time, he just drew on his notebook. He didn't seem to care, perhaps because he didn't have a case on the father's side.
"I call William Anderson to the stage." Mr. Gilbert called.
Blaine's father walked haughtily up to the stage.
"Why do you drink so often, Mr. Anderson?" asked Mr. Gilbert.
"Because it feels good, and my son is a disappointment."
Mr. Gilbert nodded, "Is that why you abused your son for four years?" he asked.
Mr. Anderson shook his head, "I didn't abuse Blaine, I just gave him a good beating when he was bad. Like every parent does."
"Explain to us what happened that night."
"I got home, and I knew that my son the fag, needed to be punished. So I punished him."
"By raping and beating him within an inch of his life?"
"He brought that disease into my house, along with that thing he called a boyfriend."
Kurt took Blaine's hand in his own and squeezed it as Blaine tensed.
"I think that's all we need. Mr. Wilbert..." he began to the defense attorney, "Do you have anything to add?"
The defense attorney shook his head, "No. I think you covered it." he informed.
The judge looked at the jury, "Do you need time to come to a conclusion?"
One of the jury members stood, "No, I don't believe so." he said, "We think that William Anderson is guilty of all charges."
The judge nodded, "Ten years in prison followed by a restraining order. William Anderson may not come 100 yards to Blaine Anderson." The judge hit his gavel to the stand and Kurt wrapped his arms around Blaine tightly, "I love you, we won, I love you." Kurt whispered, and Blaine smiled lightly. "We won, Kurt." the whole thing seemed surreal, Blaine pulled back and kissed Kurt's cheek lightly. "We won."