Status: Not as Popular as I hoped, but as long as at least one person likes it, I will continue to post it.

Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly

In the shadows of your heart

The white sheets covered the majority of the boy's wounds, there was a large lump where he leg was, a cast hidden from view, and his arm was decorated by the cast as well. Blaine's face was marked by bruises and lesions, his breathing was heavy, and tired. Even under the anesthesia, he could very well have been in a lot of pain.

Kurt didn't know when... when not if, not if, Blaine would wake up.

The doctors informed him that he had a slight epidural hematoma (bleeding) of the brain, a small surgery set that right, there was no risk of brain damage, normally that type of blood was a cause for death or other serious affect, but in this case there was no risk and they caught it on time.

His leg was broken, but it was a clean break and would heal quickly, his arm would take longer. Kurt had been silent through the assessing of his boy- fiancee's injuries. As soon as Blaine woke up, Kurt was saying yes. Blaine had a concussion, and would wake up in a few days, or it could be minutes, there was no way of knowing.

Kurt never left Blaine's side, and that was where he was, sleeping, but his hand connected to Blaine's hand. Carol had walked in, and put her hand on her step-son's shoulder, "Kurt, sweetheart, you should go home." She said, shaking Kurt's shoulder. Kurt shook his head, "Nomstayin." he slurred in a tired voice, "Can't leave him."

Carol sighed, "He will still be asleep when you get back, baby." she tried to convince him, but she knew, even then, her battle was lost.

"When he wakes up, I will be here. Regardless." Waking up some more, Kurt pulled out his wallet, "Can you get me a sandwich?" he asked, pulling out a twenty, "And a coke, a large coke." he was drinking coke, he never drank it because it was bad for his skin. But he needed to stay with his boyfriend, it wasn't an option.

"Sure, sweetie." She took the bill and kissed him on the forehead before walking out of the room.

Kurt turned back to his boyfriend, kissing his good hand, "Yes, Blaine. Yes." he whispered. "I will marry you, a million times over, anything.. just wake up. please, wake up."

Blaine didn't wake up straight away, and Kurt held onto his hand for dear life. Tears stained his pale face, his eyes red and puffy.

"Mmmmmm." The low groan from Blaine's lips, throaty, and tired, was the best thing Kurt had ever heard in his life. "Blaine!" he said, sitting up. "Blaine, don't move." He also replied as the ever restless boy began to shift and turn in his bed.

"Kurt? What happened? Where am I?

The words spewed out of those perfect lips, and Kurt, felt more tears come to his eyes. "Someone attacked you." he whispered and leaned over to carefully brush his lips against Blaine's. "I found you. And I called the police." He stated.

Blaine groaned and turned to Kurt, "Everything hurts." he complained, but Kurt just stared at him softly, "I know, baby, I know." he whispered, his hand gripping Blaine's."

"I love you." muttered Blaine, his head falling back onto the pillow.

"Blaine?" mused Kurt, putting his head on the bed next to Blaine.

"wha?"

"I will marry you. Yes."

Blaine smiled smugly, "Good..." he seemed to be at ease even if his heart rate, just happened, to speed up. Kurt smiled and brushed his lips across Blaine's again. "Calm down, love." he whispered., his hand caressing Blaine's face gently, "I love you." he whispered and held Blaine's hand close. Blaine groaned again and turned his face into the pillow, "Everything hurts." he muttered in a sad, pitiful, puppy dog voice.

"Do you know what happened?" Kurt whispered to his boyfriend, Blaine shook his head, moaning, "I don't want to talk about it."

Kurt swallowed painfully, "Was it your parents?"

"No."

"Are you lying to me?"

"...Yes."

Kurt noticed Blaine's heart-rate speaking slightly, so he began to caress the boy's hair, "Shh, shh, you can talk about it later, I promise, go to sleep." he whispered soothingly. Kurt began humming the tune to Blackbird by the Beatles, and saw as Blaine smiled lightly, "Blackbird." Blaine mused, his eyelids drooping.

Blackbird singing in the dead of the night.

Blaine's heart-rate went to normal, and Kurt new that Blaine was asleep.

Kurt leaned down to kiss Blaine's head, and turned around, he saw Carol had left his sandwich and soda on the table, she must had come and left when she saw them together. Kurt smiled a bit and sat on the chair next to Blaine, and took out his book. He had barely took a bite out of his sandwich when Mercedes texted him,

"Hey, where r u?"

"I'll explain later, Mer, it was an emergency. No time now."

Kurt was strangely literate about texting, it ticked him off when someone was completely not readable, even over facebook or texing. There was no sense in leaving out one letter. It was idiotic, he stopped complaining though, it was useless, they were never going to stop.

"Well, we r practicing after school in New Directions, can u & Blaine come?"

"No. I'll explain later."

Kurt resorted to turning off the sound on his phone, he wanted it to only be about Blaine, his food, and the book he was reading. Nothing else was going to bother him. Kurt put a hand over Blaine's hand, and continued to read.

"Sir?" Kurt looked up from the book, he was then curled up on the chair, completely engrossed in his book, so much both hands were focused on the pages.

Kurt looked up, "Yes?" He yawned, but taking a sip of his soda, he ignored his own tiredness.

"Visiting hours are over, sir."

Kurt shrugged, "I'm his fiancee." he stated, "I can stay." he muttered, returning his attention back to his book.

The girl looked at him, she couldn't have been over 24, with a ring on her finger. Kurt put the book down, "I went to pick my boyfriend up for school one morning, after he proposed to me the night before, to find him beaten up and bloody on his bed, his heart barely beating. If that happened, and the person you loved was sitting in the ICU, would you leave their side?" he asked gently.

"I-I suppose I can make an exception." she whispered and nodded to him, "Goodnight, sir." she said, and left the room.

It was easy to manipulate her, not like he wanted to or anything, but he wanted to be with Blaine, and he would do anything to keep next to his boyfriend's side.

He looked down at his phone, as it lit up, saying his dad was calling, he pressed the on button and put the cool phone to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kurt." Burt's voice sounded worried and stressed, "It was a long day, I just wanted to call you and ask how you are doing."

"Blaine woke up today, so it's better than it could be. He is sleeping now, I was about to go to sleep in the chair next to him." he admitted honestly.

"Of course, I understand. If you need anything, call."

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, Kurt."

The dial tone sounded, and Kurt was once again alone with his boyfriend, the person he loved, the very injured person he loved.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night,

take these broken wings and learn to fly...


Kurt leaned down to kiss Blaine on the cheek, and then put his head on the bed, closing his eyes, he slept there, that night, with his boyfriend... he needed to stop thinking that, his fiancee. His fiancee, his fiancee. Would he ever rap that around his finger? Unlikely.

When Kurt woke up his neck hurt, a lot, but that was because the way he was sleeping wasn't very comfortable, it was worth it, because when he looked up he saw the puppy dog eyes his boyfriend had, looking down at him.

"Hey beautiful." muttered Blaine quietly, obviously unable to move, but smiling all the same.

"Hey." Kurt mused, sitting up and rubbing his neck. Blaine smiled at him, "Did you leave at all?" he asked, moving his hand out a little bit.

"I have left this room less than you have." Admitted Kurt with a slight blush, Blaine's lips were swollen, but seemed painless enough, so Kurt leaned down and kissed Blaine lightly. It was hard to believe they were so connected, and yet had never had sex. Kurt felt it would be a long time before Blaine was comfortable with sex after this. Kurt took a deep breath and kissed his... fiancee's hand.

_______________________________________________________________________

Everything hurt Blaine, like a fire was rippling through him, numbed only by the pain medication and sedatives he was. He was going under all the time, but woke back up soon after. One of the many times he woke up, he looked down to see Kurt sleeping next to him, he smiled, but found even that was painful.

He looked at the disgusting yellow walls of the room and thought, Kurt should be outraged. This is gross.

Kurt was all he thought of, and he was what he was thinking of when.. everything happened.

"Dad?" Blaine's voice was cautious as he entered his house, if his father was drunk, then there was a good chance Blaine would have to invest in some makeup to cover it up. This wouldn't have been good for anyone involved. Blaine's mother came down the stairs, ignoring him, always ignoring him. "Good to see you too, mother." Blaine's voice was full of distaste as he made his way up the stairs. His mother wouldn't do anything, she didn't want to do anything, she hated Blaine as much as his father did.

He stepped into his room, the door barely closing behind him before he located his father at his study, "Evenin' Blaine." The drunken slur was nothing new to Blaine, so Blaine sighed, "Why did you call me home, Dad?" he asked with a sigh.

"Because on the day you were born, we knew, your mother and I, that you were a mistake, one that should have been dealt with."

Blaine crossed his arms, he would just let his father continue as he was, it wasn't a big deal, Blaine was use to it, 'Mistake', 'fag', 'disappointment'. He had heard it all before, and though it hurt him, knowing his family hated him, he still had Kurt, and Kurt was all he wanted, all he needed. Blaine understood Kurt wanting to wait to get married, to get everything figured out and right, but he had basically said yes. Just one that would come later.

Should that have worried him? Blaine walked towards his study, "Dad, your drunk. Just get out of my room." Blaine muttered, but he didn't expect his father to take a wooden stick and his Blaine on the arm, tearing the skin off.

"Ow! What the Hell?" He put his hand over the cut to stop the bleeding that had drizzled onto the papers, "I have to turn that in!" he snapped angrily at his father.

"No need, not when I'm through with you."

If Blaine hadn't understood his father's intentions, he knew by then, "Father?" he asked, backing away, "I think I'll go out, Wes wanted me to meet him at-" He couldn't finish his sentence when his father swung the bat-like object, hitting Blaine in the stomach, causing his whole body to lurch back-words. "You'll regret this, father!" he shouted, taking his phone from his pocket. "I will call the police!" he threatened.

"To Hell you will!" shouted the man as he pushed his son against the wall. As Blaine's back hit the wall, his breath was taken from him. Blaine's father threw the phone on the floor and stomped on it. "Too bad!" he laughed maniacally, Blaine struggled against his father's grasp, and his father, with alcohol and hatred in his eyes, beat Blaine repeatedly with his stick.

The feelings coursing through Blaine were numerous, betrayal, hate, but also pain. A lot of pain. Every hit was indescribable pain, as the blow to the head came, he was almost paralyzed, and then he was raped. It wasn't long after that, that he fell unconscious from loss of blood. Feeling the blood pool around him, the molestation, the fear. It was more than most people could bear to take, and Blaine tried to fight back- he did. But it was useless.


Blaine was kidding himself if he thought that things could just go back to normal. Was he going to testify? Against his father? He didn't know if he could do that. The doctors told him he almost died, numerous times, but he was strong and pulled ahead. They also said he was lucky to have Kurt because they had never seen someone stay that committed to a person in the hospital before. Kurt hadn't left once, and he rarely went to the bathroom, not wanting Blaine to wake up after a surgery without him near.

Blaine saw his boyfriend's beautifully undone hair and smiled a bit at the soft waves, he would have played with Kurt's hair, but his whole body hurt, and he couldn't move.

A doctor walked in and smiled at Blaine, she was young, in her later twenties at the most, "Hello Mr... Anderson, how are you?"

Blaine managed to croak out, "In pain."

Kurt woke up at the sound of voices and Blaine cursed, "Damn it, I wanted to let him sleep." he muttered in his hoarse voice.

"There's nothing wrong with him is there?" Kurt asked shakily.

"Of course not, I was just coming to see if you wanted some more morphine, Mr. Anderson."

"It's Blaine." Blaine muttered, "Don't worry, I'm gay, no need to feel like you are unknowingly flirting." he responded to her look.

Kurt looked down at his boyfriend, "really?" he teased. Blaine shrugged, "If people judge me right now, they can go to Hell."

Kurt ran his fingers through Blaine's curly hair and sighed, "Be nice." he whispered.

The doctor dialed up the morphine a little bit and looked at Blaine, "It should get better soon." she said, "You are very lucky, I hope you realize." she said.

Blaine gave her a looked, "I was abused and raped. Yes. Very, lucky."

Seeing the look on Kurt's face, the doctor smiled a bit, "It's just the stress and drugs talking." she said softly. Kurt nodded slightly and held Blaine's hand, "Go to sleep." he whispered, brushing Blaine's hair out of his face, and kissing his forehead.

"Mmm, I love you." Blaine muttered. Kurt smiled, "I know." he whispered, and looked down at Blaine, "Trust me, I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
How do you like Blaine's lovely daddy?