Dance with a Devil

i could see the rainclouds over

"John?" Violet called when she entered his home. Her heels clacked against the wood floors and she looked around. John came out from the hallway, fiddling with a bow tie, and he stopped when he saw her. She saw him look her up and down and she went,

"Is it too much? Oh no, it's too much isn't it–"

John shook his head. "No, no. You look–you look beautiful."

Violet felt a blush creep onto her cheeks and tugged at the end of her dress. Her eyes met his again and when she saw him continue to fiddle with his bow tie, she sighed and strode over to him.

"I didn't catch you as the bow tie type," she commented, fixing it for him. John rolled his eyes and said,

"Bow ties are cool."

Violet couldn't help but grin at the reference he made to one of her favorite shows. She fixed his bow tie for him and when he went up to tug at it just a little, their fingers brushed and she pulled away, immediately.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

John shook his head. "No."

Violet rolled her eyes. "Come on, it can't be that bad, can it? Plus, they can't kick you out if you brought a guest!"

"Yeah..."

"Lighten up, O'Callaghan," Violet nudged him. "I'll be with you the entire time."

"Thanks, Violet," John said, sincerely. Violet only gave him a smile and led him out to his truck. They climbed in and John started the ignition. The drive over was quiet between them, but the radio filled the silence.

Violet thought it would be awkward between them. John didn't know about Garrett leaving, he didn't know that she had feelings for him, he didn't know anything. She glanced at him again. He looked so nervous and afraid. Violet instinctively put her hand on his arm and she felt him relax. He glanced at her and she gave him another smile.

They reached the funeral home. Violet had only been to one funeral in her life, and it was for her grandmother just over the summer. It was sad, cold, and solemn. Nobody had a happy face on, or even tried to be cheerful.

They didn't move for awhile. John sat, staring at the funeral home, watching a few of his family members go in and out. Violet remembered that they weren't exactly invited to the funeral–they were crashing it.

"John?" Violet said, prompting him. "Are you ready?"

John exhaled and nodded his head. They climbed out of the car and Violet was starting to feel nervous. She walked right beside John as they entered the building. The entire O'Callaghan family from all over the nation was probably in attendance. They were all standing idly by as they waited for the vicar, eating and drinking the complimentary snacks given by the funeral home.

"Is that her?" Violet asked, pointing to a blown up photo of John's cousin. She was smiling in the picture, her teeth perfectly set in a row. Her blond hair was unnaturally curled, but it still looked beautiful. Her eyes matched that of John's, bright green. She looked happy.

"Fuck," John cursed.

"It's okay," Violet whispered to him. "It'll be over soon."

"John?"

They turned around and their eyes met with a boy who looked no younger than John.

"Josh," John grunted. Violet snapped her head back at the boy. He was the one from the phone call, the one who banned John from going to the funeral.

"What are you doing here?" Josh asked, looking shocked and angry at the same time. "I thought I–"

"She's my family, too," John said, a little harshly. Josh scoffed and he looked at Violet. He looked her up and down and asked her,

"Are you his date?"

Violet glanced at John, who looked like he was seething. She sympathized for him. John didn't deserve that treatment from his own family. He was making an effort, and a hell of a good one, too.

She raised an eyebrow at Josh and said, "Does it matter?"

Josh lip curled in a bitter laugh and he walked away, muttering something that they couldn't hear. People were starting to notice them now. Violet saw the resemblance between all of them. Some of the older man looked like a version of John's dad. Some of the younger cousins looked like John and his brothers. They were all pointing at them and Violet let out a breath, looking at John.

"It's bad, right?" John said, looking at her.

Violet shook her head. "Nothing I can't handle."

John shot her a smile. It disappeared in less than a second because John's mother and father approached them, with his two younger brothers hovering in the back, listening in on the conversation.

"Why are you here?" His father asked, getting straight to the point. He just barely glanced at Violet, but his eyes were angry and his voice boomed, causing people to stop and stare. "Do you realize how disrespectful it is to be here when you were not invited? Go home, John. Take her with you," he jerked his head at Violet.

He and Mrs. O'Callaghan turned on their heels and were about to walk away when John suddenly spoke, "I'm not leaving."

They stopped and turned. John stood his ground.

"She's my cousin and I have every right to be apart of her funeral."

"You have absolutely no right!"

Josh barreled out of the crowd and towards him. John's face didn't falter. He looked around at his entire family–every singly person on his father's side was standing right before him. He looked at Violet last. She was looking at Josh, confused by his outburst, and then looked up at him, giving him a smile.

"I'm sorry for what I did," John said, his eyes on Violet a second longer before he turned to his family. "I didn't–I didn't mean it to become what it became–Sophie dying..."

"You fucking killed her," Josh spat. A woman beside him placed a hand on his arm to calm him down. John's parents (and brothers) were awkwardly standing before them, unable to speak. Violet was stunned by the accusation that Josh made and looked at John, confused.

John nodded. "Okay. I killed her. I'm sorry. I loved Sophie, alright? She's my cousin, she's my family. I'm not going anywhere."

So much was happening at once that Violet couldn't keep up. How was John responsible for his cousin's death? She looked around at everyone in room. None of them looked at all like they blamed John for anything. They just looked sad–they were there for the funeral of their cousin, their sister, their niece...all they needed was each other.

Violet locked eyes with someone that she recognized, instantly. She was shocked when she saw the girl, but she was even more shocked that she knew the O'Callaghan family so closely. It was John's neighbor, the one who warned her about him. How did she know them?

"Let them stay," a voice said, snapping Violet out of it. A man came out of the crowd. Violet assumed him to be one of John's uncles–Sophie's father, maybe? "Sophie would want them to stay, Josh. This isn't your call to make."

Josh looked livid. However, nothing could've been done. The vicar arrived and the ceremony was to start soon. Everyone went back to what they were doing previously. John's family walked away, disappointed. John stared after them, an unreadable expression on his face.

"I'm sorry," John muttered after a long silence between them.

Violet let out a laugh that wasn't meant to be taken humorously and said, "I have so many questions, but this is certainly not the best time to ask them."

"Thank you," John said, appreciative. Violet looked at him and gave him the best smile she could muster. So much had changed between them–their relationship being one. Florence's words appeared in her mind again and all she could think about was what it would be like to be the girlfriend of John O'Callaghan. She used to think it was impossible, but John wasn't who she thought he was. He was a deeper person; he had layers. He was starting to become a person that Violet would think about dating. He had his moments, like right there in front of his entire family. He apologized and he stood his ground!

The vicar announced that they would be starting, so everyone piled into the room they held the casket. Violet noticed that Sophie's closest family were standing in the front–Josh and the man who told him off were two of them. John and Violet stayed in the back.

"Alright," the vicar smiled at everyone. "Sophie Jeanette O'Callaghan was a woman full of spirit. She was the happiest girl in the world, according to some. She had a loving family, whom I see right before me. She had a prosperous life that was unfortunately cut short on June 18, 2010. However, we shouldn't dwell on Sophie's passing, but what she leaves behind. She's made a great impact on peoples' lives–I mean, you all wouldn't be here if that weren't true. She meant something to you and by living in peace, you can keep her memories alive..."

People were starting to cry. Violet, herself, felt like crying even though she never even met Sophie. Her hand brushed against John's and she was about to apologize, but he grabbed her hand and entwined their fingers together. She felt that little tingle between them and glanced at him–the tears were pricking his eyes and he let out a breath and wiped his face. She squeezed his hand.

"Rest in peace, Sophie," the vicar ended, smiling at everyone, as they all sniffled into their tissues and sobbed into their neighbor's shoulders. The casket was left closed, for reasons Violet didn't really want to know, but it was so sad. One by one, the O'Callaghan's stood up to pay their respects. Just by looking around–everyone was just sad. Violet's eyes locked with John's neighbor's again, but she quickly looked away. Violet furrowed her eyebrows.

"Let's go," John said, suddenly.

"What–?"

"We're leaving." John ushered her out. Violet stumbled a little as they practically ran out of the funeral home. John wiped the tears off his face and he leaned against his truck for a second, letting it all soak in.

"John?" Violet asked, cautiously.

He looked up and shook his head. "I, uh, I can't be in there any longer. Sophie's body...my parents...Josh...It's–it's too much."

Violet nodded her head, understanding, and she climbed into the truck. They drove home in utter silence–not even the radio was playing. Violet had so much on her mind–John's neighbor, what John did, his family life...there was so much that she didn't know even though he was the person she spent the most time with.

When they arrived at his place, John kicked off his shoes and undid his bow tie, leaving it hanging around his neck. Violet zipped her shoes off and followed him into the living room.

She plopped down next to him in complete silence.

"Thank you," he mumbled. "I don't think I could've done this without you."

"I'll always be here for you," she said with a smile, even though questions were building up in her mind. She wanted to ask him, so badly, but the shape he was in was terrible. He had to put up with so much and there he lay, exhausted. He wasn't even drinking a beer to make it better.

He leaned forward and rested his arms on his thighs, and he swiveled his head to look at her. She kept the smile on her face and he smiled back. He sat up and turned his body to face her. His eyes flickering to her lips every few seconds. Violet saw it coming this time and she didn't even bother to try and stop him. His lips molded perfectly with hers and she felt his fingers tangle themselves in her hair. Violet's hands were on his face and his neck and she kissed him back, harder. When they broke off, they were breathing heavily and John sat back on the couch, saying nothing.

Violet stood up and mumbled about going to the bathroom and made her way over to it. John looked up at her, confused. She felt disoriented, but in a good way. That kiss was electrifying.

She immediately stopped in the middle of the hallway, her thoughts about kissing John again were lost as something else took over her mind. The forbidden room. The room that maybe had the answer to her questions. Why did John forbid her to go in it? Did it have something to do with Sophie? Did it have something to do with his neighbor?

Violet stepped closer and closer to the room, resting her hand on the handle. Her heartbeat sped up to a million miles an hour–as if it wasn't already high after that kiss–and she pressed down on it. She recoiled her hand as she noticed that it didn't lock like it usually did.

It was unlocked.

Violet breathed, "Oh, my God." She glanced behind her to see if John was anywhere nearby, but it was deathly silent in the house. She grasped the handle and pressed down again.

She opened the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was difficult to write, for some reason. I'm sorry if this kinda sucks or is weird in some places. I don't even know.
Also, I'm changing the year that this story takes place. I know that I never exactly said what it was, but in my mind it was 2011, but now I'm changing it to 2010 (like October-ish), so it's like pre-writing process of Pioneer.

WOOOOOOOOOO OLYMPICS! I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!!!!!

Thank you's go out to all my lovely commenters: useyourtelescope, scanth3rad1o, Don't give up on us., andloveisaword, thescenekid, vices, Brand New Fashion, fallingstar223, WhoAreYouJudy, elleeann, arumdp, miss chanandler bong, becauseiamfree, shootingmoons, somebody_who_cares, on your side;, astheonlybirdsings, sparrrrrow, captain of my soul;, new york city;, soonerorlater, khairena, lovelyhope, vict0rianicoleee, and OkayChris05 :)