Dance with a Devil

hold on, hold on

John only told Eric who managed to tell everyone else in the world that he was performing an acoustic show by himself. It was at Martini Ranch in Scottsdale and there were so many people that both sides, the underage section and the over-21 section, were crowded to the brim.

Violet was on the V.I.P list and she entered the venue feeling really nervous. She only decided to go because Eric bombarded her and told her that John really wanted her there. She didn't know why she didn't just say no like she wanted, but she found herself dressing up nice and driving over.

She was the last one of the friends to arrive and when she reached the V.I.P section, all eyes swiveled to her. They weren't friendly either, they were all judging her. She stared at them, confused, and then Garrett stood up.

"Violet," he said. He took her by the arm and steered her towards the corner.

They know, don't they?" Violet asked, realizing. "About what happened with us and John?"

Garrett was silent for a second but he nodded his head.

"I'm sorry."

She shrugged. What could she do about it?

"Violet–"

"Look, Garrett," she sighed. "This is really not the time to talk about us, okay? I'm sorry, but I just–I don't know what to do and everyone just expects so fucking much of me and I can only do so much, you know?" she exclaimed, her voice becoming shrill.

"Okay, okay..." Garrett said, soothingly. "I won't say a word. I can wait."

Violet gave him the best smile she could muster and said, "Thank you."

He instinctively kissed her forehead and said, "Of course."

Violet sat by herself for a little bit. She wished that Cecilia was there with her, but she was too busy to come. Garrett sat beside her and took her hand in his, which she let him do. Having him beside her kept her calm and sane. She liked it.

Everyone kept throwing glances in their direction. They were clearly not happy with the way the whole thing turned out, but when Tim approached her, just before the show started, he said,

"Violet, I want to thank you for driving John to do this. I don't know what the fuck is actually happening between you two, but at this point, I'm trying not to care because I have my boy back."

Violet smiled at him and said, "Tim, it wasn't all me. It was him, too," she jerked her head in the direction of the stage. Tim gave her a smile and went back to the table he shared with Ashley, Eric, and Eric's girlfriend Becca.

John finally came out onto the stage, holding an acoustic guitar. Violet couldn't help but smile when she saw him. He stared out into the crowd, awed, and then sat down on a stool.

"Hey," he said, giving a chuckle. "I'm John O'Callaghan, lead singer of The Maine."

The crowd went wild.

"Uh, the past few months have been really rough. I've been through a lot that hindered my career as a musician. My band probably hates me now, but they're sitting back there, supporting me, so at least I know that they have my back," his eyes twinkled in the light. "Um, I became someone I didn't like–someone worse than who I used to be. I am better now and it's because of a certain person."

Violet froze. All eyes who knew swiveled in her direction. Garrett squeezed her hand and kissed the back of it.

"Anyways, I'm, uh, a little rusty. I only have a few songs for you tonight, because I can't write lyrics that fast. This first one is called I'm Sorry."

Violet was enamored by his performance. The crowd swayed and hummed along to the tune of all of them. He was so into it and it was so beautiful to see. John was truly passionate about music and he was finally back into the scene. She glanced around at her friends, who all had the same expression she had on her face. They, too, were awed.

Half-way through the show, John's family arrived. Tim shook hands with them and they sat down at their own table. Mrs. O'Callaghan locked eyes with Violet's, and she looked away, back at John, who noticed their arrival as well.

"This is a song that I wrote because I went to go visit my parents yesterday. I haven't seen them in a while and I got inspired to write this for my mom, especially, who's done more for me than anyone else in this world," John said. Mrs. O'Callaghan stared at her son. Violet glanced back at her and mustered up the courage to smile at her. "This is called Jenny."

Mrs. O'Callaghan cried. Violet felt like crying, too, because this was a new John. He finally left the old one behind and everyone knew that, not just her. His friends and family were all in attendance, along with old fans and new fans.

When the show was over, Violet stood up, intending to escape before anyone tried to talk to her. She muttered something to Garrett, who didn't hear her, and she went outside. She wasn't the only person outside. Fans were hoping John would be in the back somewhere, so they could take pictures.

Violet found herself going in that direction, even though her car was on the other side. She pushed through fans and found herself circling the entire venue until she heard voices coming from behind the wall.

"We've come to our senses and I have to say that I'm sorry for asking you to leave at the funeral." It was Mr. O'Callaghan. "You're–you're our son, John."

"Mom, will you stop crying please?"

"John, that song was just so sweet! After all I've done to you since Sophie's death...oh, John, I'm so sorry!"

Violet listened to the family affair as John and his parents officially made up. She didn't want to peer out from behind the wall and show herself, but she could imagine them all hugging in a group hug, and it was sweet.

John said goodbye to his parents and told them he'd come over later. She heard him sigh and pull out a cigarette from his pocket and light it.

"Smoking isn't good for you," she said, coming out from behind the wall. All she could see was his silhouette, but he was exhaling smoke and staring at her.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she said back. "That was a good show."

"Thank you."

"And I'm glad you made up with your parents."

John was silent, but there weren't any words to say.

"Yeah, that's all I wanted to say. I was supposed to pull you out of the gutter to do something like this. I guess my job here is done."

She turned on her heel so she could get into her car and drive back home where she would go back to the life she had before. She wouldn't have to go over to his house every day and cook for him, clean for him, and paint a wall for him. Everything would go back to normal. Partially.

"Violet!" John called after her.

She stopped and closed her eyes. She turned around and said, "Yeah?"

He dropped the cigarette on the ground and stomped on it, extinguishing the fire, and he went over to her. He stopped right in front of her. His bright green eyes were the only things she was able to see.

"I, uh, heard you and Garrett broke up," he said, quietly.

Violet sighed. "It's–it's complicated."

"It is?"

She nodded. "He wants to get back together."

"Do you want to get back together?"

Violet didn't answer.

"Is there anything you need, John? I want to go home."

John scoffed. He took a step back and crossed his arms, shaking his head. Violet stared at him, confused.

"Jesus Christ, don't you get it?!" he exclaimed.

"Get what?" Violet asked.

"This! All of this," he gestured around, "is for you!"

Violet closed her eyes. "John–"

"Everything that happened with us and you don't feel it? That's bullshit, because I feel it. You should be with me."

"John, stop."

John shook his head. "Why are you denying this?"

Violet was silent for a second. She looked up at him and asked, her voice hard, "Why haven't you ever told me you loved me?"

John scoffed. "I've told you before."

"I don't remember it."

"Yeah, because you were fucking drunk and unconscious in the passenger seat of my car."

Violet clenched her jaw. She barely remembered that night, and she didn't remember him confessing his love. It was invalid. "You never told me you love me," she repeated.

"How could I when you were with my best friend for two years?"

That wasn't the answer she wanted. Violet shook her head and tried to avoid his eyes. He stepped closer to her until her back was pressed against the brick wall and he said, in a low and husky voice,

"Violet, I love you."

Violet shook her head so hard her hair flew in all directions. "This doesn't count."

He was holding her by the arms. Violet's eyes were closed. She didn't know what to do. Garrett was waiting for her to come back to him, something that she was very tempted to do, but John was right there, waiting for her as well.

"I said it," John said, his voice quiet. "What's holding you back now?"

"Violet?" someone called out. She recognized the voice immediately, but John kept his grip on her. The figure was coming towards them and stopped right in front of them. John had his answer by the way she was looking at him.

It was Garrett.
♠ ♠ ♠
clothing

FOUR CHAPTERS LEFT. Hence why I'm trying to write this so slowly. I incorporated some Pioneer songs in here because I think they're relevant. I don't know my feelz about this chapter. I don't know if I like it.

I have [another] new story for you guys. It's an original fiction and it's called Flower Girl. I like dem bad boys and if you do too, then you should read this :)

Thank you somebody_who_cares, MedicatedDreams, miss chanandler bong, boleyn36, Fixed At Zero, nevershoutnever91, wrldofchncs, WhoAreYouJudy, obliviate, ashleighpeta, astheonlybirdsings, vices, soonerorlater, captain of my soul;, fallingstar223, AlexAddiction, Caitosaur., khairena, on your side;, and hellodarling for commenting :)