Bluffington Preparatory Academy

Caden Royston

I stood there brooding as Mr. Dumas went through what we were going to be doing this Saturday morning. It was great weather and I was stuck here gardening whereas I could have been off training or finishing the game from this morning before the principle came over and directed Bree, Beck and me to detention. Detention was a pain in my ass, I couldn’t even get some proper training in this morning because I had to be here gardening. I don’t even like gardens, they shouldn’t even be around, and everywhere should just be flat land so that people could enjoy it playing sports.

I sighed in annoyance and got an elbow prodded into my hip. I looked down at Bree who was still intently listening to Mr. Dumas which was good because I had missed everything he had said. The only up side to detention was that I got to spend some time with Bree even if all we were doing was gardening. I draped my arm over Bree’s small shoulders as I tried to listen to what Mr. Dumas was trying to say. Just then Aubrey walked up late as usual though for once she wasn’t all dressed up which was a surprise, it looked like she was actually going to be doing some work unlike with everything else in life guess her father wasn’t going to bail her out so much this time. Mr. Dumas then explained who was being partnered up with whom and where we would be planting some new stuff.

Luckily Bree and I got partnered up together, I think Mr. Dumas was being nice to Bree since he probably knows like everyone else she doesn’t really socialise with many other people but me. It was a surprise to most people that Bree was in detention, the teacher who gave it to her is a grumpy hard ass who like to make people miserable. Even though Mr. Dumas could be a jerk about punishment he had a few exceptions and Bree was one of them probably because she’s so small and looks so innocent. Bree was pretty nervous about being in detention well except for the fact that Beck was here and she couldn’t keep her eyes off him. This morning everyone was going to be planting in The Hub but in different areas, Bree and I got the area under some of the older class rooms that were being renovated. You could hardly see inside because most of the windows had been covered in old newspapers, though there were still gaps and you could still see through.

While we worked Bree and I were talking away quietly. I was trying to do most of the planting while she handed me the plants, she didn’t really like digging in the dirt with all the variety of insects it held, it would have been better if they gave us gloves. At one point I was talking away quietly to Bree and she didn’t answer me, I had been looking at the ground planting. I turned to look up at her and her face was frozen in shock and then without warning she dropped the plant she was holding and screamed. I jumped up as quick as possible and held her in my arms to try and calm her down. She was crying, sobbing and shaking so hard. I looked in the direction she had been facing when she screamed. She had been looking through the class room window. Down at her height there was a large gap in the newspaper where it looked like someone had ripped a piece off. I looked through just in time to see our principle doing something I would have never thought possible.

In his hand was a fire axe, he was holding it above his head and then with what looked like all his strength he brought it down towards the ground. I couldn’t see what was on the ground but I guessed when splatters of blood showered him from below. I turned away as quickly as possible and knelt down with Bree so that if he looked out the window he wouldn’t see us. I couldn’t believe I had just witnessed our principle murder someone with a fire axe and he didn’t even look angry, sad, miserable or anything but calm. I didn’t know what to do.