Status: Active. :)

Looks Can Be Deceiving

Late Night Entertainment.

Image

Weeks had passed since I'd first moved in with Lyndsey. I'd spent the majority of my time working, knowing that not only did I have bills to pay, but I also had to save up enough to get a new place of my own and to make sure I helped Lyndsey out on some of her bills, as well. She didn't necessarily agree to that idea, but I didn't want to inconvenience her any. So she was getting rent money whether she liked it or not.

My search for an apartment was taking longer than I'd originally thought, though I'd had yet to be completely discouraged. The majority of the places that I really liked were just too far out of my budget. The ones that fit my budget perfectly were just a giant no-no. I knew I'd have to save a bit more in order to find a happy medium between the amazing and the horrible.

Stifling a yawn, I clicked the arrow on the computer screen, waiting patiently as a new page loaded. Several more search results appeared, pictures of apartment complexes and communities littering the page, along with their features, prices, and other important information.

I'd been at this for several hours, as the weekends were usually the only time I had for this sort of thing. I only had some days off every now and then, and that was only because I usually worked overtime. Though my job was a pretty stress-free environment where I could probably get away with doing some of the searching there, I'd rather give a hundred percent of my times and focus to the animals I worked with. They deserved it, after all.

Lyndsey had gone out with Brian, as it was Saturday night. It wasn't all that late; it was only about nine at night or so, but they'd been gone since she'd gotten off work early today. I knew they both needed their time together, as Lyndsey's job was a rather hectic one, and Brian's - whatever his consisted of - kept him busy or away a lot at the strangest of times. This was one of the few days that the couple had to themselves, and I didn't blame them for wanting to spend their free time together. In other words, I would be home alone for a good long while.

Just as I got ready to scroll through the page, I heard the doorbell go off from downstairs. I wasn't sure who would be coming here even if it wasn't that late, given it was the weekend after all. Anyone who knew Lyndsey knew that she wasn't home, so why it seemed that we had company, I had no clue. Grabbing my robe, I slipped it on over my shoulders, covering the tank top and shorts I was wearing before I hurried downstairs.

Peeking out the peephole of the door did me no good whatsoever, as I was barely over five feet tall, and I didn't know where Lyndsey'd put my trusty little step stool. Sighing at that realization, I grabbed the ceramic flower vase from beside the door, gripping it tightly in my right hand as I slowly opened the door with my left.

"Whoa, there, little tiger!" Matt laughed, holding his hands up in the air as he stepped over the threshold, "It's just me, alright?"

With a sigh of relief, I lowered the vase and put it back on the nearby table where it belonged. I then flashed him a quick smile, letting him inside, "Lyndsey went out with Brian, y'know."

I watched as he shrugged, "I know."

"You know?" I cocked an eyebrow, closing the door behind him as he hung his leather jacket on the coat rack, "Then, what are you doing here?"

Matt rolled his eyes, "To visit you, Britt," he answered, as if it were the most simple thing in the world.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Visit me? What for?"

He shrugged again, "Cause I heard that you weren't coming out tonight and would be here. You've barely been out in the past two weeks, y'know."

Sighing, I ushered him into the living room, where I motioned for him to make himself comfortable while I fixed him something to drink in the kitchen, "I know. I've been looking for apartments."

He chuckled from the other room, "So I've heard. How's it going?"

I rolled my eyes at the mere thought of my non-existent progress, "I couldn't even tell you. Honestly," I huffed, grabbing a glass and pouring some vodka in it. I didn't pour much, as I knew he'd have to drive home eventually, but I also knew he wouldn't accept any other drink I offered.

He grinned as I brought the glass to him, "Well, what's wrong with staying here?"

Taking a seat on the other end of the couch, I faced him and pulled my knees up to my chest, "I don't wanna invade her space and wear out my welcome. Besides, I'm just not the best person to be around, like I used to."

"Meaning?" he cocked an eyebrow, tilting his head as he studied my face in that nerve wrecking way as usual.

This time it was my turn to shrug, "I'm not the same anymore these days. Things about me have changed, and even I don't know what they are. I need time and space to figure myself out and to get myself back on track." I answered slowly, thinking carefully of my answer.

His expression showed understanding and a hint of sympathy, "I've been there."

"Have you?" I asked skeptically, to which he nodded, "Then what happens next?"

I watched as he chewed the metal ring in his lip, sitting quietly as he seemed to think over his answer, "It's going to take a while. It's not always going to be easy. Some alone time is good, but what you really need is to be around those who make you happy. You're gonna need that support to help remind you of who you are. Solitude will do you no good."

I sighed unhappily, "I see. So, in other words, I'm fucked?"

His laughter rang throughout the otherwise silent room, "Not at all, Britt. Not at all."

"Feels like it," I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest in irritation, staring at my hot pink painted toes.

"Look at it this way," I heard his raspy voice say, "This is as shitty as it can get, right? The only place things can go from here is up. Especially since I'm here to provide you with your night's entertainment," he smirked widely, and I cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm curious," I mused, eyeing him warily as he stood from the couch and walked over towards the TV, "Should I be scared? Horrified, even?"

He grinned, holding up the DVD remote, "I'll let you be the judge of that."

I huffed loudly, "I already don't like the sound of this."

Another laugh fell from his pierced lips, "Yeah, yeah. Go grab some blankets and get comfortable while I get some popcorn going," he commanded, his back to me as he fiddled with the TV settings.

Sighing, I stood from the couch and trudged upstairs, deciding to grab a pair of fuzzy socks. The ones I ended up choosing were long, ending just below my knees, and were striped with green and orange. I gathered a couple of plush blankets from the hallway closet before making my way back downstairs.

Matt had already made himself comfortable, having sprawled out across the couch with a bowl of popcorn balanced on his stomach. Shaking my head, I walked towards him, handing him a blanket before curling up on the other side of the couch. He flashed me a quick smile, taking the blanket from me and wrapping it around himself, as I did the same with my own blanket.

"What are we watching?" I asked curiously, looking to the TV to see that the movie menu was just about to load. Finally, the screen darkened, and a shrill scream could be heard before I felt my face drain of all color. I shook my head vigorously, "Oh, hell no! Hell no, uh uh. No, no, no, no, no--"

"Aw, it's not that bad," Matt laughed, seemingly amused by my reaction, "It's not even that scary."

"Not even that scary!" I shrieked, glaring over at him as I felt my eye twitch, "You mean to tell me that having some crazy ass looking doll running around and stabbing people to death with whatever he can fucking find isn't scary?! Just his fucking face would give me nightmares, and I don't get scared easily."

Matt let out a loud snort, "Your being scared of Chucky tells me that you do get scared easily," he chuckled, looking over at me with a smirk.

I huffed in irritation, "Don't let the petite figure fool you."

"Okay, toughie. So, where do we stand?" he cocked an eyebrow, waiting expectantly for my response.

I chewed my lip with contemplation, "Fine. But your ass had better stay here afterward. I'm not gonna be in here by myself, feeling paranoid. I'll end up putting a cap in someone's ass thinking they're out to get me."

He laughed at that, "I'll stay, Britt. You'll be fine."

With another huff, I crossed my arms over my chest as he pressed 'play' and started the movie. The sound of Rob Zombie immediately met my ears as the opening credits scrolled across the screen. I cocked an eyebrow as a police officer appeared on the screen, sitting his car in the middle of a dark, empty street. He looked around before turning to his passenger's seat, leaning down and reaching into a black garbage bag on the seat. He fiddled with it, and there he went.

I cringed as the officer's throat was cut from behind, blood squirting out of his neck in the same instant. The silhouette of a female came to view, and with a grin, she filed her long, black nails with the knife she'd used to kill the officer. Once she'd finished, she took the knife and licked it, and took off with the garbage bag.

"That wasn't so bad, right?" Matt teased, reaching over and lightly elbowing my side, laughing as I eyed him warily.

I glared at the screen, "Humph."

I managed to sit through the rest of the movie without completely freaking out. The fact that Chucky and his 'bride', Tiffany, were just fucked up looking dolls made it easier for me to not take them as seriously as I would've under other circumstances. Nothing was overly gorey, though I did cringe a bit whenever someone ended up getting stabbed in the face with some sharp object...which was basically everyone.

However, fucking Chucky himself creeped me the fuck out. His face with the stitches, his voice and laughter, his uncanny ability to creep up on you and kill the shit out of you when you least expected it...he was a sadistic little fuck!

Matt howled with laughter as I shuddered to myself, thankful that the movie was finally over with. Heaving a sigh, I detached myself from his large, bulky arm, where I'd somehow ended under throughout the movie. My legs were stiff from not having moved much for the past two hours, and so I slowly stood up and stretched as Matt went ahead and turned off the DVD player.

"It wasn't completely terrifying, huh?"

I shrugged, "I could've done without seeing it."

He rolled his eyes, "You didn't even scream."

"Maybe I'm just not a screamer," I answered sarcastically, setting the empty popcorn bowl on the coffee table.

His eyes darkened considerably at that statement, "I'm sure I could easily change that."

I smirked, feeling a sudden boost of confidence, "I'm sure you wouldn't be able to handle me. Now come get something to eat so you can take your ass to bed. I'm sure to have nightmares, so you ain't goin' nowhere." I smiled sweetly, taking off for the kitchen.

I decided to heat up some Chinese leftovers from today's lunch for myself, while I fixed Matt a more hearty meal. He didn't seem to be too picky, so long as he left the dinner table feeling full. I figured I'd make a few hamburger patties and allow him to put whatever he wanted on it when I was done. As the patties cooked in one pan, I skinned and cut a single potato, salting it and allowing it to fry in another pan.

"Homemade french fries? Wow," Matt shook his head, leaning forward on his arms as he watched me cook.

I shrugged, "They still clog your arteries and fuck up your cholesterol. But this way, they're fresh and I know nothing else has been added to them to make them last forever. You ever seen Super Size Me?"

Now it was Matt's turn to cringe, "Now that's a fucking horror film all by itself."

I giggled, quickly finishing the fries and tossing some more seasoning on them before putting the on a large plate. The patties finished within the next couple of minutes or so, and I stuck one on a bun before leaving it open for Matt to fix. He gladly stepped up and took the plate from me, covering the burger with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and several sauces.

"Drink?" I asked open-endedly, pausing near the cabinets as I awaited his answer.

He chewed the food in his mouth and swallowed, "Got any soda?"

"Sure," I nodded, "What kind?"

"Anything dark," he shrugged. With a nod, I grabbed the Coke out of the fridge and filled a glass with ice for him, "Thanks."

"No prob," I said with a shrug of my own, turning my attention to the lo mein sitting in front of me.

Matt had eaten three burgers and was working on his fourth by the time I finished eating my small plate of food. Where he end up putting all that food, I simply had no idea. I guessed that it was just a guy thing. Tyler ate a lot, too, though nowhere near as much as Matt. Of course, Matt was easily twice Tyler's size...

Tyler. All of a sudden, I just...missed him.

Suddenly I wasn't so hungry anymore. I pushed my plate away from me, staring off into space as memory after memory flooded my thoughts. The day Tyler had asked me to be his was still as clear as day in my mind. Our first date, our first kiss, fight, and intimate moment. All of the times we simply sat in silence, enjoying one another's company. The day he'd asked me to move in with him. The first time he'd ever told me that he loved me.

And then, those memories came. Like they always did. Memories of some of the nastier fights, the days when Tyler ignored me or didn't come home at all overwhelmed my senses. The nights I sat up crying because I'd found a piece of lingerie that wasn't mine in the dirty laundry, or heard a rather intriguing message left for Tyler on the answering machine. The day when he'd insinuated that he'd been cheating without so much as a moment of hesitation.

It hurt. It hurt so badly. No relationship was ever perfect, I understood that. But I didn't think a relationship could ever tear you apart the way mine had. Nearly two months after the breakup, I didn't expect to be sitting here, teary-eyed and feeling miserable at the mere thought of my ex. Little things he did, or didn't do. Simple memories, and the more emotional ones.

I didn't even realize I'd been crying until the warmth of a hand on my arm brought me back to reality. Taking note of my surroundings, I saw that Matt was done with his food and soda, while mine had barely been touched. He was silent, simply offering his moral support as he stood at my side, hands rubbing the tops of my shoulders in a soothing manner.

I felt myself coming undone, and not in a good way. I think Matt could sense it, as he'd quickly set a bottle of Captain in front of me. I went to pour myself a glass, but my nerves were a little shot. My hands shook violently and I nearly dropped both the bottle and glass before Matt decided to take them from me, mixing the drinks together for me. I muttered a thanks and didn't hesitate to suck down the liquid.

"Feel better?" he asked gruffly, a large hand curling around my upper arm as I steadied myself.

I sneered at the thought, "No. It's like I can't live my life without him coming in and ruining it."

He sighed, rubbing a hand down my back, "Love fucks with you like that, Britt. I don't know what I can say to make it better."

"Nothing will make it better," I spat, pouring myself another drink, this time with less soda, "Nothing will make the pain go away, and no one will ever be able to take him off my mind. It's like I'm stuck...trapped."

"You can only go up from here," he reminded me carefully, pulling the alcohol from my hands as he led me towards the stairs, "Regardless of what you may think, things always get better before they get worse."

With that, he guided me towards the guest room I was staying in. Though I could do it myself, I allowed him to pull the covers of the bed back for me and set me down on the mattress. I watched quietly as he pulled the blankets over my body, grinning as I let out a loud hicup.

Matt flashed me a wink before heading towards the door, "Get some sleep. I'll be downstairs."

Just as he went to leave, I spoke up, "Hey, Matt?"

"Yeah?" he asked curiously, turning to raise a brow at me.

"You say things get better. When did they get better for you?"

He took a while to respond before chuckling to himself, "They're just starting to."

I stewed over his response as I listened to his footsteps pad down the hallway and down the stairs. Lights went out as he made his way downstairs. Turning over to my side, I looked at the moon from the bay window just feet away.

Once again, sleep wouldn't come easily tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there it is. Hope you like. :)
Comments? Subscribe? <333.