Sink or Swim

One

Nash’s pov
I zipped up my hoodie as I walked, trying to avoid the cool wind that was in the air tonight. My older brother Brandon didn’t even wait for me even though he was supposed to. My brother is a cocky asshole in almost every sport that Riverton high offered but he was such an insensitive ‘crotch dog’ as the girl he was pinning after (Brittany) had said. I finally reached the banks of the river where at least twenty teenagers were joined around the blazing bonfire.

“Hey asshole.” I punched my twin Brandon’s arm.

He rolled his eye and rubbed his arm, “Hey sis, you finally decided to show up?”

“You were supposed to wait for me.”

Brandon shrugged, “You took to long, so I left.”

I rolled my eyes and looked over at the burned/wrecked ambulance that was overgrown and rusted. It was covered with white candles in celebration of the Ripper. Everyone was looking at the town across the river. I smiled and joined the group in counting down.

“NINE…TEN…ELEVEN…TWELVE!”

“Let the day begin!” Bandon yelled.

Every teen that was there hollered with excitement. There were cheers, whistles and laughter. The lights did the same thing every night but tonight was special. Tonight was when the legendary spirit of is rumored to come back and slash all of the teens that were born sixteen years ago on the night he died. Brandon jumped up on a tree stump and began telling a ghost story.

“Fifteen years ago tonight the Riverdale Slasher swore he’d return to kill all children born the night he died. Only on their birthday could he come. Seven children were born in Riverdale that night.”

He looked around at everyone with narrowed eyes for effect before continuing.

“These are the names of the Riverdale eight.” He motioned for everyone who was born on that day to stand in a line in front of him, which we did.

“Brittany Cunningham.” Brandon looked at the blonde and ambitious girl with lust in his eyes.

“Jay Chan” He nodded his head at Jay.

My heart started to beat when he called out my crushes name, “Alex Dunkelman.”

Alex grinned and our eyes met for a minute, which made me quickly look away to avoid blushing.

“Bug Heller” Brandon called out once then again until Bug appeared from the clearing to take his spot next to Alex.

Bug sent me a smile and wave, which I returned.

“Jerome Brown, Penelope Bryte!” Brandon seemed to get louder.

My eyes flickered to Penelope, you couldn’t miss her with that flaming red hair and intense eyes. Plus she had a major crush on bug.

“The hottest guy in the whole school?” Brandon grinned cockily.

“Brandon O’Neil!” The crowd shouted making Brandon smirk.

His eyes flickered to me then he grinned, knowing that I hate attention.

“And last but not least my little sister………….” He paused just to piss me off even more.

Brandon motioned towards me and shouted, “McKenna Nash O’Neil!”

I covered my face with my hands to hide the blush on my face from the attention I was getting. Brandon was so in for it when we get home. He said my full name, no one but our parents say my full name but that’s only when they get mad. Otherwise everyone calls me by my middle name, Nash.

I uncovered my face and looked up to see everyone’s eyes had gone back to Brandon who was continuing on with the story. Alex was staring strait at me with a small smile on his lips. I sent him a quick smile then looked down at my feet, still feeling his gaze on me.

“We now summon him, one time for each of the seven. If he does not appear within seven seconds, he must wait another year!” Brandon spoke to the teens.

He turned to the river and called out, “if you are there, O Slasher, make yourself known! Make yourself known, make yourself known.”

Soon enough the whole group had joined in. I saw Bug’s face pale then I realized that Brandon must have chosen him to fight the ‘ripper’ this year. A man emerged from the darkness of the trees. There were gasps, cheers, and yells. He stood six or seven feet tall and had a dark face that was twisted up into an evil sneer.

“Slay the ripper!” Brandon yelled.

Bug looked absolutely horrified of the ‘ripper’. Alex and Jay pushed him forward then just before anything else could happen police sirens were heard.

“Cops!” Brandon yelled and raced off before I could catch him.

The approaching sirens sent the group into chaos, everybody was running for cover. The fake ripper fell to the ground so the kids underneath it could run off with the rest. I saw Bug and I ran after him into the woods. Bug slipped and fell into the mud almost dragging me down with but I kept my balance. Alex ran back and we helped him up before running to take cover behind a fallen down tree. Jay and Alex were laughing their asses off.

“That was the best one yet, Jay. Genius.” Alex chuckled.

I bit my lips and looked at him. Bug pinched my arm and sent me a look that said stop drooling.

“Fun, fun, fun. I gotta get home or my grannie will ground me. See you in biology tomorrow” Jay called as he ran off towards the bridge.

“Alex this is Brandon’s little sister, Nash.” Bug introduced me.

Alex smiled, “Hey Nash.”

I blushed and waved hi before standing up, “I gotta get home before Brandon tries to get me into trouble.”

“Later, Nash.” Bug gave me a quick hug and Alex winked at me before raced through the trees to get back to my house.

When I finally reached my house I felt someone touch my shoulder causing me to scream and turn around but he or she covered my mouth and held up a cell phone.

“Alex what are you doing?” I asked when I finally recognized him.

He handed me my IPhone and shrugged, “You dropped it, so I decided to give it back.”

“Oh, thanks.” I pocketed the device then we both stood in awkward silence until Alex backed up and jabbed his thumb back towards the woods.

“I gotta go, I’ll catch you at school tomorrow.” Then he raced off into the woods.

I ran my fingers through my hair and smiled softly to myself before walking inside, tiptoeing up the stairs to my room where I kicked off my clothes and crawled into bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing!!!

Yeah I know I should stop posting stories since I haven't finished my other ones but I couldn't help myself. Please leave me a comment, telling me if you like it or not!!!