Sink or Swim

Two

Nash’s pov
I walked into the garage/gym that Brandon always worked out in. He was benching like a mad man until his phone rang. Brandon glanced at me then answered his phone while I opened the fridge to grab a can of Diet Coke.

“I know you want me, Brittany.” Brandon spoke into his phone, causing me to almost choke on my coke.

He sent a glared by way as he listened to Brittany’s assignment for today. He had the volume on high so I heard all of it.

“I’ve got today’s assignment, Brandon. Got paper and pen?”

Brandon looked around until I tossed him a note pad and black pen. He sent me silent thanks then listened to Brittany.

“Alex Dunkelman eight, Bug, three.” She announced making me glare.

“Alex get’s an eight?” Brandon asked.

Brittany was probably rolling her eyes at him, “You have a problem with that?”

“No. Except his father’s on parole for assault. Giving an eight to the son of a violent felon usually comes with a nous, that’s all.” Brandon smirked.

I shook my head and picked up my backpack, deciding that I was going to warn Bug and Alex. I didn’t care what the rest of their conversation was about I just knew it had something to do with Brandon asking for a blow job and Brittany telling him that her dog would bite it off and bury it in her backyard.

I walked past Alex’s house and waited across the street for him to come out so I could warn him. The window was open so I could hear the sounds of TV and Alex laughing. I smiled until I heard the voice of his dad.

“Hey asswipe.”

The next thing I heard was Alex asking his dad to move back a little then I groan.

“Thanks Quint, felt good.” Alex yelled on his way out of the house with pain on his face.

“Are you okay?” I asked as Alex clutched his side.

He nodded, “I’m fine.”

“Come here.” I grabbed a hold of his hand and pulled him into the woods.

He sent me a questioning look until I told him that Brandon had his assignment for today.

“I can’t believe your related to that asshole.”

I laughed lightly, “A lot of people tell me that.”

Alex hiss in pain again as he turned to walk away but I stopped him by pulling up his shirt a bit to see the bruise on his ribs. I gasped and stared at the bruise. Alex pulled his shirt over it and took a look at my shocked face before trying to run away from me.

“Alex, wait.” I jogged after him but clumsy me tripped in the process, falling down into the leaves.

I groaned and sat up to see hanging up in the tree in front of me the ripper costume from last night with a sign attached to him that said: The End Is Near.

Image

Alex’s pov
I walked through the woods with Bug, on our way to school. Bug handed me his stuffed Raven.

“You’re giving me your crow?” I asked.

Bug nodded, “Raven. His name’s Edgar. He guards you while you sleep. Point him at your bed and nothing can touch you.”

“Sweet.” I smiled, examining the Raven.

I put it on the tree and grinned, “Let it keep the banshees at bay while we’re at school.”

“Do you like it?” Bug questioned.

I nodded, “It’s the best stuffed raven anybody’s ever given me. I’m giving you and Brittany a Las Vegas weekend.”

Bug rolled his eyes at me, “Brittany doesn’t know I’m alive.”

I ignored his negativity and continued, “You’ll be flown first class for two days and nights of star-studded shows and high-stakes gambling.

Bug laughed at me, “you don’t have to give me anything.”

I looked down at the duffle bag that held our presentation condor, “I could help you with that.”

Bug shrugged and I helped him carry the bag to the school grounds. Bugs pants began to ring and he quickly dug out a cell phone.

“hello?” Bug asked.

His face lit up and I could only guess it was May his mom. He talked to her for a few minutes while I looked around to see Bug’s older sister Fang hanging around with Maria Ramirez, Chandelle Brown and Brittany Cunningham, her crew. Then I saw Nash sitting on the steps in front of the school. She looked beautiful. I stared at her as she mouthed the words to a song and bobbed her head to the music that was playing off her IPod.

“Alex.” Bug spoke for help when he couldn’t get his phone to hang up.

“red button.” I helped him click it then looked over the device.

“it’s small.”

“Its that bad?” Bug asked.

I shook my head no, “That’s good.”

We walked towards the school and past officer Ramirez who was keeping an eye on us.

Image

Nash’s pov
I turned my IPod off and shoved it in my pocket once I saw Bug and Alex.

“Wanna come over tonight? We could burn the house down with my father in it?” Alex grinned wide obviously trying to piss off Ramirez who didn’t take the bait.

“He give you something for your birthday?” Bug asked.

Alex pulled up his shirt to show the morning’s bruise on his ribs, “A hematoma.”

The bruise looked even worse than it had this morning.

“Made it himself, too.” Alex pulled his shirt back down.

I saw Brittany go to distract Ramirez and I quickly moved when I saw it was the famous distraction maneuver. Alex noticed too cause he quickly pulled Bug behind him trying to take cover.

I stood up when I saw Bug crash right into my brother who was wearing his football letter jacket and had an evil smile on his face.

Briskly he said, “This, Bug, is a three.” And punched Bug in the arm hard.

“And this, Dunkelman, is an eight.” Brandon swung and punched Alex.

I shoved Brandon back and glared, “knock it off, Brandon.”

He ignored me and looked at Alex who went down with a horrible groan. Brandon jabbed a finger at them, “Stay away from the Fang Zone. Stay away from him.”

Then Brandon stalked away with me yelling in his ear.

“That…felt good…Brandon. Thanks.” Alex barley could get the words out.

Brandon turned slightly, “Fuck you, asswipe.”

I looked at Alex with pleading eyes telling him not to push it but of course he did.

“Not as good as your mama, though.” Alex smirked.

“Jesus.” I groaned as Brandon turned around with murder in his eyes.

I tried to pull him back but Brandon shrugged me off and balled his hand into a fist, “You just bought yourself a twenty.”

“Brandon O’Neil!” I screamed making him stop and all eyes were on us.

Brandon stopped in his tracks, Ramirez turned around, Brittany froze and it all went silent.

“You hit him I’ll tell everyone your little secret.” I glared knowing that i had him right where I wanted him.

He gulped knowing that I was talking about Melanie Pratt who was only fifteen and the principal’s daughter. We glared at each other, eye-ball to eye-ball.

“I’ll get you for this, Nash.” He growled.

“If you do Satan will get you.” Penelope came into the conversation.

Brandon turned his head to look at Alex before walking away, “When you least expect it, Dunkelman.”

I tossed Alex a note that said to meet me in the hallway then ran after Brandon.