Status: Active

A Stranger in my Own Town

I'll be your crying shoulder

It was around 2 in the morning when Stephen heard the front door being opened. He shot up from his bed and looked down at the sleeping girl next to him. He quietly and carefully untanged his arms from her and tiptoed across the bedroom to the door. He saw the familiar back of John's black hoodie facing the stairs and he sighed. John turned around with glassy eyes and a pathetic look on his face.
"John, we really need to talk about this." Stephen walked towards him and touched his shoulder.
John threw his hand off. "There's nothing to talk about." He started to walk away towards the kitchen.
"Bullshit there's nothing to talk about!" Stephen started raising his voice. "Why do you have to go out and get drunk without any notice every night? No calls, no texts, nothing. You have me worried sick and you don't bother to tell anyone what you're doing, then you show up in the middle of the night expecting everything to be okay. It has to stop!" Stephen slammed hsi fist down on the counter.
"Why do you even care anyway? You have a perfect life, things are going perfectly for you."
"What the fuck, John? You're my little brother, why wouldn't I care about you?!"
"You just have so many other things to worry about, it doesn't matter anymore. The wedding is in two months, time is going by faster and you just need to worry about that right now. I'm fine, really." John looked up.
"John, you're not fine. I love you moer than anything and you know that."
"What about Lindsey?"
"John you're my brother! Family always comes first and I don't know why you won't talk to me about this."
"Because like I said, there's nothing to talk about."
"Stephen?"
John and Stephen both turned around to see where the small voice came from and saw Lindsey standing there looking weak.
"Linds, what's wrong?" Stephen rushed over to her.
Lindsey grabbed onto his neck tightly and looked down. "I think I'm sick." The frail girl sighed with a shaky breath.
"Baby..." Stephen looked into her eyes and saw nothing but anxiousness. "I'll take you back upstairs."
Stephen lifted the small girl up into his arms and walked back upstairs. She stuffed her head into the crook of his neck and started whimpering quietly. "What's wrong?" Stephen asked quietly once they were in their room.
"I-I..." Lindsey picked herself up from her boyfriend and ran into the bathroom connected to their room. She bent over the toilet and heaved up all the food she digested yesterday. Stephen walked in and lifted the hair off of her sweaty back. He knew that Lindsey barely ever got sick, but when she did Stephen hated it. He hated seeing her in pain and suffering. Lindsey continued to throw up over the toilet and once she was finally done she collapsed into Stephen's arms. "I'm sorry." She choked out.
"Linds..." Stephen rubbed her back and pushed the hair out of her face. "Never, ever apologize for being sick. You know if I could ever do anything to make all this go away, I would. Shit happens, never apologize."
Lindsey nodded and lifted herself up from the floor. She flushed the toilet and limped over to the sink to brush her teeth. "I hate being sick." She croaked out.
"I know baby, I know." Stephen grabbed her hand and led her back to bed. Her body was shaky and curled up in a ball next to Stephen.
"I don't want to get you sick." Lindsey looked up at him.
"I'll be okay, don't worry." Stephen wrapped the blankets around her and then wrapped his arms around her. "Just try to go back to sleep, baby."
Lindsey nodded and closed her eyes, holding herself closer together.

When the morning rolled around, Stephen woke up and saw that Lindsey was still sleeping. He sighed and got up from bed, knowing he couldn't skip out on work today. He got ready and when he was done he took a sticky note out from the desk near the bed.
Linds, when you wake up I'll be at work. You know where the medicine is if you wake up and need any. I love you. -S

He stuck the note on the desk and kissed Lindsey's forehead before walking out. He crept into John's room and saw that he was still sleeping. Stephen walked over to the bed and rubbed John's arm. "John?"
"Hmm?" John mumbled from under the covers.
"I have to go to work but can you please keep an eye on Lindsey today?"
"Uh, yeah. Mhm." John mumbled and turned over on his side.
"Thanks man. See you later." Stephen walked out and down the steps, grabbing his keys before walking out to go to work.

When Lindsey awoke alone, she felt sick to her stomach again. A tear rolled down her cheek out of habit and her breath was shaky. She looked at the desk and the yellow note caught her eye. She read it and sighed, throwing it down again. The clock on the desk read 12:48 PM and she sighed, getting out from bed and taking the blankets with her. Her head was killing her so she walked into the bathroom to grab Tylenol.
Once she was done with taking medicine, she crawled back into bed and closed her eyes. About an hour or so later, she heard the bedroom door open. She opened her eyes and saw a lanky figure walking towards the bed. She lifted her head up and gave a half smile before dropping her head back down. "Good morning." She said.
"Afternoon actually." John chuckled.
"Shut up." Lindsey smacked his leg and turned so her back was facing him.
John smiled. "How are you feeling?"
"Like shit." Lindsey mumbled. She turned around again as John sat on the bed. She scooted closer to him and wrapped an arm around his waist. "Can you get me some water please?"
"Yeah, sure." John was about to get up but Lindsey pulled him back down. "Wait, not now."
John chuckled and sat back down, retreating to their position before. He sat there awkwardly as Lindsey breathed heavily next to him, her head in his lap. "You're the best friend ever."
John shrugged. "You're my best friend, Linds."
Lindsey smiled and hugged his body tightly then let go, leaving her arm wrapped loosely around his waist still. Her eyes were closed and she breathed in his scent. "John, why have you been acting so different lately?"
John sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He should've known this was coming. "I don't know, Linds. I'm just stressed and anxious I guess."
"Why?"
"Well I'm gonna be in the wedding and such." John chuckled.
"I know, but it's been before you knew about that."
"I don't know."
"But you do know."
John chuckled slightly. "I'm sorry Linds. I'll try to get better."
Lindsey grinned. "Thank you John. Are you sure there's nothing I can help you with?"
"I'm positive. Let me get your water."
"Okay." Lindsey let go of him and curled back up in a ball, waiting for John to return with her water. She lied there in complete peace and repose. John got up from the bed and walked over to the door, but not before looking back over at her. He took in every detail of his beautiful best friend. She was perfect in his eyes. He sighed heavily and walked out, thinking about how things would be different if only he had met Lindsey before Stephen did.
♠ ♠ ♠
guys...i am SO sorry..i feel awful that i haven't updated this in forever. but i recently got inspiration & i'll continue this story again. haha i'm so sorry! xo