Status: Just getting started so work with me here :)

Fall Into Me

I'm not who you think I am or am I?

Image

The days seemed to meld together, days turn to weeks, and before McKenzie knew it, Jordan was coming to Chicago in a few short days, and it was unsettling for her. Jon still acted as if he didn’t know who she was besides the new Community Relations Coordinator but with Jordan coming into town, the shit could hit the fan fast. She took a deep breath and continued to work; she didn’t have the time to worry about Jordan and Jon. McKenzie didn’t look up from her computer screen until she heard someone enter her office, even if she knew who it was before they entered.

“What can I do for you today, Pat?” She asked looking at the young hockey star in front of her. “I have work to do.”

Patrick Kane smiled and sat down in the chair on the other side of her desk, “I just wanted to see how you are holding up, Kenzie. Especially with Jordan heading out here soon.”

McKenzie rolled her eyes, “Pat, I don’t see how this is any of your business but I’m doing fine. It’s not the first time Jordan has visited me during the hockey season or pre-season. I went to school in Vancouver, I saw him quite a few times.”

“Yea, but,” He started with a grin. “This is the first time that Jordan will be visiting you in Chicago, where there is a certain center/captain that broke your heart not too long ago.”

“I can promise you that Jordan will be on his best behavior,” She said with a frown. “He’s promised me that. Plus I doubt Toews will even notice Jordan and I. He doesn’t like me very much.”

Patrick laughed, “That’s because he thinks you are pretty, and pretty girls equal the end of the world in his mind. He’s afraid of you being the end of him.”

“Trust me, Pat, I know what he’s thoughts are on the matter of hockey and dating,” McKenzie said looking up from her computer screen to see Jonathan headed their way. “Speaking of the devil.”

“Kaner,” Jon said not looking at McKenzie. “We are playing the Penguins in a few days, you don’t need to be wasting your time, you should be getting ready.”

“Actually,” McKenzie started with a smile. “You should be getting ready for the Red Wings game tonight, then worry about the Penguins.”

“Stay out of this,” Jon said sending a glare her way. “We are ready for tonight.”

“Still, focus on the present, not the future,” McKenzie said standing up. “Plus, it’s two days away and I didn’t ask Pat to come see me, he came on his own.”
His jaw set, “I told you to stay away from the players. I asked you not to flirt with them, that the team didn’t need a pretty girl messing up their focus.”

“I’m sorry that I made friends with Patrick in 2010 in Vancouver!” She said taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry that I took this job, the only job that I was offered after spending years at school working at getting a degree in Communications, so I could work with hockey, because I love hockey. Maybe, I should just quit, and leave, then you’d be short a Community Relations Coordinator.” She took another deep calming breath. “But you know what, Jonathan Toews, I don’t care what you think, I’m good at my job, and I’m not giving up because you are an ass to me. So get off your high horse, and realize that the world doesn’t revolve around hockey and Jonathan Toews.”

Jon looked at her shocked and confused, “You were at the Olympics?”

Patrick started laughing, “Jon, really? Out of all the things she said, you ask about the Olympics?”

McKenzie rolled her eyes, “Yes, I was at the Olympics. I was there when you, and Team Canada won the Gold Medal. That isn’t the point. The point is you can’t control what I do! I can talk to whomever I want, be friends with whomever I want, and none of that is your business really. So, why don’t you and Pat just leave and get ready for your game tonight, because some of us have work to do.”

“If you knew Kaner, we had to have met there,” Jon said looking at her closely. “Did we?”

“No,” She said lying. He didn’t need to know the truth, if he didn’t remember her, than she wasn’t going to tell him. “I didn’t hang out with Pat much, and when I did it was during Team Canada’s practices, so you wouldn’t have seen me. I saw you, but you didn’t see me.”

She saw a flash of disbelief in Jon’s eyes before he nodded, “Come on Kaner, let’s go and leave McKenzie…” He stopped and looked at her with a questioning look. “McKenzie Jónsson, I met a McKenzie Jónsson, along time ago, and saw her a few times in-between then and now, including the Olympics. ”

McKenzie’s breath caught in her throat and bit her lip, “I’m not her.”

Jon looked skeptical but didn’t press the issue as he turned and walked out of the office followed by Patrick. McKenzie sat down at her desk and took a deep breath. He remembered her; he knew her name, that’s not good. He’s going to be looking to see if her and Jordan are interacting when he gets to Chicago. Why did she lie? Oh right because he broke her heart, and if he knew who she was things would get even more strained than they were, especially now that she lied to him. She quickly pulled out her phone and sent a fast text to Mallory.

The shit is about the hit the fan…he recognized my name today…Jordan better not screw this up.

McKenzie knew that she shouldn’t have flat out lied to Jon but there was this part of her that liked that he didn’t know who she was, that didn’t know that they had the past, it was hard enough just working in the same building as him, but if he knew the truth, the fighting could get worse, she could lose her job, and most of all, she’d have to live through the pain of the Olympics. Her phone beeped, signaling a text.

Calm down. He doesn’t know its you and Jordan won’t behave, it’s Jordan. Kenzie just take a deep breath, maybe you should just tell him the truth, and see where things go. But honestly maybe it’s better if he knows, ever think of that?

She stared at the text for a while, not sure how to answer Mallory. She had a great point about Jordan, he wouldn’t behave; he was the biggest idiot around sometimes. She knew what she had to do, picking up her phone, she held typed in the number 11, and hit send and waited. After the fourth ring, the person picked up.

“What do you want, dork?” Jordan said answering his phone causing McKenzie to roll her eyes.

“I’m not a dork,” She retorted. “We need to talk about Jon…I mean Toews.”

He made a noise, indicating that he wasn’t happy about where this was going, “I don’t want to talk about that asshole, just because you work with him now doesn’t mean shit to me.”

McKenzie sighed and ran her fingers through her hair for the millionth time that day, “Jordan Lee, I know that he isn’t your favorite person in the world, heck he isn’t my favorite either, but we need to talk about the game in two days, how you need to behave.”

“Mac, no need to pull out my middle name. Why do we need to talk about my behavior, I’m not going to be anything but what I normally am towards Toews? Did you do something?” He asked with small laugh in his voice. Out of the four brothers, Jordan knew what buttons to push and what she tends to do in situations like the current one, where she wasn’t at all comfortable.

“He doesn’t know it’s me,” She said biting her lip. “He only just today remembered my name. I might have lied to him and said that that McKenzie he knows and me aren’t the same person, but Jordan, I had too, I don’t want him to know its me.”

“What do you mean he doesn’t know it’s you? How could that fucker not remember you?” Jordan asked his voice had a mixture of anger and disbelief. “That fuckface, I should, I should, well I can’t do that but I should.”

Even though Jordan didn’t say what he was thinking he should do, McKenzie knew what he was trying to say and while she could see why he wanted to do that, actually he has wanted to do it since the Olympics, but she wouldn’t let him, it would get them no where, “I don’t know why he doesn’t recognize me, but he does remember me, or at least he did today, that’s why you have to act like you don’t know me.”

He started laughing, at first it was just a chuckle than it moved to a full blown out laughter, and once he finally calmed himself down, he took a deep breath, “Mac, that’s an impossible task. I don’t see you enough as it is, I’m not going to spend my only day in Chicago this season acting as if I don’t know you, sorry. Plus, Heather wants to come to see you and Mal. I’m sorry Mac, it’s not going to happen.”

“Jordy,” McKenzie said sighing. While she completely understood where he was coming from, she just didn’t want to have to deal with the shit that would come with Jon knowing who she really was. “It’s just better that he doesn’t know.”

“Actually,” He started. “It is probably better that he does know. That way he can see how much better you are off without him.”

She rolled her eyes, “You would say that. But Jordan, I have to go; I’ll see you when you get here. Just please don’t do anything stupid. Love you.”

“Yea, Yea, love you too, dork,” Jordan said hanging up the phone.

McKenzie closed her phone and pulled up her facebook, and clicked on her Olympics 2010 album. She scrolled down through the pictures and stopped at the third picture in the album and clicked on it. A small smile spread across her face as she looked at it. Jared took the picture on their second day in Vancouver, before the games actually started. It was a great picture of her, she was extremely happy.

Jonny and me, it’s great to see him again. XOXOXO;)

The picture showed everything that she had been feeling that day, the look on her face showed how much she liked him at that point. She scrolled down to the comments and smiled at Heather’s, knowing it was Jordan not Heather who posted it.

Looking happy, it better stay that way, or things will happen, if you know what I mean.

Her boys were protective of her and it was something that she loved about the four of them and also hated. When Jordan found out what happened it took Marc, her and Jared to hold him back from going after Jon. It took them about three hours to calm him down, which pretty much took them up to the game. While she loved each and every one of the four brothers, they could be pain in the ass when it came to boys, something her and Mallory knew all too well. She closed her facebook and sighed. Maybe Mallory was right, maybe she should tell just tell Jon the truth, but what would happen if she did? She couldn’t take that risk at this moment. McKenzie clicked her work documents open and started working, she’d deal with Jonathan Toews another day, right now she had a season and community outreach to worry about.